FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By What's Burning?
:hehe: Then you better get yourself more competent drivers cause I doubt that Felipe or Fernando would be able to figure out how handle it by Melbourne.

Who would you suggest?

Tom Cruise.
By spankyham
:hehe: Then you better get yourself more competent drivers cause I doubt that Felipe or Fernando would be able to figure out how handle it by Melbourne.

Who would you suggest?

Tom Cruise.

.... I was worried you might suggest this guy

By spankyham
 wrote:">Ferrari breaks the mould

"For the moment everything about the car makes sense," 'Auto Motor und Sport' said in its initial analysis.

The F1 circus is back in two days' time for the second round of pre-season testing at the Montmeló circuit. Alonso will have the chance to try out the new car for the first time, Ferrari having made significant modifications to the aerodynamic design since Jerez.

It is still early to draw conclusions and much less based on the times seen in the first week, but the F138 is starting to raise eyebrows in both Germany and Great Britain, the home of two of Ferrari's main rivals. "For the moment everything about the car makes sense," 'Auto Motor und Sport' said in its initial analysis.

One of the features that has generated huge interest is the vane in the nose section of the car, which only Pedro de la Rosa tested on Friday 8th February. This new feature has sparked a wide debate as to its real purpose, any new development to F1 cars being shrouded in mystery in this early pre-season period.

The only explanation given by Ferrari is that it is a cooling element. However, others have pointed out that this is exactly the same excuse Adrian Newey gave in 2012, when he was quizzed about the slot cut into the step of the Red Bull RB8 model's nose.
By bud
Maybe it's function is the same as Redbulls but on the under side?
By spankyham
Maybe it's function is the same as Redbulls but on the under side?

A lot of people are saying it's purpose is boundary layer separation. The closest thing to an official comment from the team is "driver cooling". There's a video I posted already that speculates on passive valves channeling flows to varyingly stall or increase df on each side of the front wing, >>link here<<.

I'm hoping the team is pushing the limits of the rules even further and perhaps using the drivers natural feet positioning and activation of the Ferrari DRS (remember Ferrari's DRS is foot not hand activated) to have an "incidental" effect on the flow. Yes yes I know driver movements are banned on effecting aeros but, perhaps Ferrari might try and argue that the driver motion is doing its primary function and the "effective aeros" is simply co-incidental. The same argument put forward to allow overrun to continue unabated for a whole year. BTW that's nothing but pure speculation on my part :)
By spankyham
The ray mouth is still there....

By spankyham
Testing a new exhaust layout .....

AMuS (Google translated) says:
"The exhaust is the third version. The tailpipes are now more embedded in the side pods and are farther away from the diffuser. The bulge, in which the exhaust is, there is only indicated."

By spankyham
ALonso sitting in pit lane for long periods, revving then idling ..... possibly testing solutions for the overheating problem Pedro had at Jerez?
By spankyham
A good day in the office for Ferrari IMO. At the end of day one at Barcelona, the F138 notched up the most laps, 110 with some really good reliability. Whatever overheating problem they had with Pedro was under control today.

The team focused on long runs, at Pat Fry said they would in an interview beforehand.

I heard early on that the team were running the engine for longer than normal periods in the pits. I feel that perhaps we have something going on in the engine dept. Time will tell.

Best news isn't the times below, although they are respectable. A few reports I've read seem to indicated that the F138 looks very good and stable on the track - that is really good to read. Here are the times and laps for anyone interested, with some additional information below:-

Rosberg fastest time was set on the mediums I believe and was the second of an 8 lap run.

Kimi's time was set on the 3rd lap of a 4 lap run, and like Rosberg was on mediums.

Nando's time (.3 off the Merc) was set on lap 2 of an 11 lap run on mediums.

Seb's time (a whisker off Nando's) was set on the 2nd lap of a 7 lap run on mediums.
By What's Burning?
I came across this today over on ESPNF1, it does go a long way towards explaining why Ferrari are so adamant about in season testing.

Pedro de la Rosa, who has been brought in to develop the simulator at Maranello, said at Jerez that Ferrari is lagging behind McLaren, and virtual testing is becoming increasingly important as teams test new developments in the simulator before bolting them on the car.
By spankyham
I came across this today over on ESPNF1, it does go a long way towards explaining why Ferrari are so adamant about in season testing.

Pedro de la Rosa, who has been brought in to develop the simulator at Maranello, said at Jerez that Ferrari is lagging behind McLaren, and virtual testing is becoming increasingly important as teams test new developments in the simulator before bolting them on the car.

I think he was comparing each teams simulator, not this years cars. And, that does seem reasonable as McLaren do have the reputation for the best simulator and Pedro would know as he has used both.
By spankyham
Day 4 Barcelona Test 1

Nice results from one set of rubber for Felipe.

17 9.12.826
18 1.33.358
19 1.31.298
20 1.30.017
21 1.29.835
22 1.28.785
23 1.28.234
24 1.28.732
25 1.29.599
26 1.28.889
27 1.28.900
28 1.28.434
29 1.28.572
30 1.27.919
31 1.28.762
32 1.28.753
33 1.30.170
By What's Burning?

I think he was comparing each teams simulator, not this years cars. And, that does seem reasonable as McLaren do have the reputation for the best simulator and Pedro would know as he has used both.

I agree, he's talking about the simulator, but if you've got a sub par simulator, it makes all the sense in the world to push hard for additional real world testing.
By Jabberwocky
ALonso sitting in pit lane for long periods, revving then idling ..... possibly testing solutions for the overheating problem Pedro had at Jerez?

I would of thought they could do that sat in the factory, not need to waste limited track time
By LRW

I would of thought they could do that sat in the factory, not need to waste limited track time

Maybe it was just the boyracer coming out in him....? Maybe he thought he was in a Mk3 XR3i...?

See our F1 related articles too!