FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By LewEngBridewell
They're gonna bounce back.

We must hope so! :pray:
By Bladesman

It must be possible because it was Ferrari towing the caravan at the start of the season.

So if they can turn their dog of a car around then anything is possible.

:clap:
By darwin dali
Asked if the car was fundamentally flawed, he said: 'I'm not using those words; I'll let you use those words.

'You've got to look at the cars in detail - just look at them and ours look different from the others.'

That was presumably a reference to McLaren's longer nose vis-a-vis everyone else's ugly, boxer's snout of a front.

'That's a significant difference,' he went on. 'I'm not an aerodynamicist but there's got to be something there, so that's what we're looking at for this car, but also for next year's car.

'It is too big a change for this season.

'I feel for us all at the team because everyone is working their a*** off.

'Jenson and I are working our a***s off and the fans are giving us every ounce of support possible. But it's just not happening.

'Coming to your home grand prix you want a big upgrade package. You want to be fastest and you want to win every year.

'But neither Jenson nor I have the car to be able to do that at the moment. We can get there. I believe we can get there.'
By stonemonkey
I've just had a thought about something, aero wise I see the nose bump as a compromise and I thought for getting more air under the car but it also raises the cog. With a higher cog the car would lean heavier on the front wheels under braking, is less likely to lock up, more front grip as the car dives and more heat generated in the tyres and brakes.
By spankyham
I've just had a thought about something, aero wise I see the nose bump as a compromise and I thought for getting more air under the car but it also raises the cog. With a higher cog the car would lean heavier on the front wheels under braking, is less likely to lock up, more front grip as the car dives and more heat generated in the tyres and brakes.

In general the problematic area for grip is the rear rather than the front, especially with this years changes.
By spankyham
Good cartoon here for all McLaren fans as well as Jenson and Lewis fans :)

[youtube]dAO7OKrgJYg[/youtube]
By Hammer278
I couldn't help but laugh at that. Damn good I say, we need more of those...reflecting the season for each and every team this year. :hehe::hehe:
By acosmichippo
So that's where all of their development time is going...

At least they're ahead of the field in one area.
By CookinFlat6
Hamilton has spoken about seeing all the teams top engineers concentrating on dissecting his data lap by lap to try help special needs Jenson. This cannot have helped McLaren in the development race

Even though it is two different sub teams that work in each of those areas....? :doh::hehe:

So 'all the top engineers' spending time working out lap by lap why Button was so slow equates to two separate sub teams does it?
So there is a sub team that spend all their time dissecting Hamiltons setup and not contributing to developing the car?
If Special needs had not been so slow the sub team would not have put their efforst into the development effort?

So lewis was lying and only Buttons sub team spent time on special needs? Obviously Lewis cant recognise the top engineers in his own outfit that could have been using the time on the development race

Obviously the development team could afford to concentrate on special needs, they now have the 5th best car

Lets sing all together;
There is no problem at McLaren
Whitmarsh should not be criticised
Its just a dip in results
you lot are pathetic
tin foil hat time

:doh::banghead::bs::bs::bs:
By racechick
:hehe: That video was funny!

Now on Mclaren.
Have they got a basically flawed car?

Have they developped it as far as they can and this is it?

Have they got a good car but dont understand how to tune it in?

Have they spent too long trying to find that small operating window that Jenson needs instead of tuning it to Lewis' needs to be able ti fight for the championship?

If they sort out Jenson's problem might that also improve the car for Lewis?

Is Lewis' one lap speed and ability to drive whatever he's given very fast flattering the Mclaren and its really where Jenson is putting it?

Just a few thoughts I had over the weekend, because unless there's a deluge (in which case Alonso will scream for a red flag) then Mclaren is so far off the pace, its about 5th or 6th best car. What has happened???
By Injen

They need to,the numbers do not look good at all.If we take a look at the last 6 races we see that McLaren have picked up 54 points; this is in comparison to Red Bull who got 152, Ferrari with 115, Lotus have 120 from 6, Mercedes have 72, even without that win in China. Looking at this, this isn't what you'd expect from a team of McLaren calibre,especially after they picked up nearly 100 points in the first 3, and led Red Bull by 24 points.

Okay most of the 54 points have come from Lewis so Jenson is not pulling his weight,add this to how poor the car is then it really is looking bad.
By CookinFlat6
I dont think its any coincidence that for the last few races the team have expressed their need to help Button and give him a car he is happy with. There were no small updates in that time.

Button is now happy with the car, its now balanced but just not fast,

so instead of a fast unbalanced car where Lewis comes first and Button last, McLaren have devekloped a slow balanced car and Lewis comes 8th and Button 10th

Lewis would have better results in the Williams, hope he leaves and McLaren have Button leading the team next year.
By Injen
Does anyone perhaps think the car was set up for wet conditions?

Having said that, the other cars likely were too, and obviously trounced mclaren, so even if it rained would we have seen a similar result as today's race in the dry?

Gary Anderson said he saw different front wing levels on Hamilton and Button's cars on the grid. So maybe they split the strategy there. Or maybe it was just a fluke and that's how each driver went on general setup. Certainly i have heard on several occasions that true wet setups don't really exist anymore and every car just has to run an optimised setup cause it tends to work in all conditions anyway. That might be wrong but i've heard a couple of drivers, team folk etc mention it in recent years.

Either way Macca had nothing today - Button needed problems for several others just to get one solitary point and Hamilton more or less completely inconspicuous in 8th place.

Tyre problems i suspect - whoever got that hard compound working the best was sorted, hence why Ferrari were very quick, generally speaking.

Hamilton has spoken about seeing all the teams top engineers concentrating on dissecting his data lap by lap to try help special needs Jenson. This cannot have helped McLaren in the development race

Even though it is two different sub teams that work in each of those areas....? :doh::hehe:

Gary Anderson talk sense sometime but most of the time he talk rubbish and i just part of the bbc f1 Jenson fanboy club.

In the same write up you are quoting he also wrote this paragraph.

"I think Button's problems are revealing an issue with the car, but because he is better than Hamilton at driving around problems and adapting his style, it is not as obvious with him"

What a load of bullpoo,anyone with no bias will say it's the other way round.

Seriously,he has fallen for the beeb f1 Jake the fake and Eddie Judas Jordon "we love JB" club.
By LewEngBridewell
One good thing to take away from Silverstone... McLaren have the best pit-stops out of everyone now! Record breaking ones at that! :P

See our F1 related articles too!