FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By darwin dali
Looks like I picked the wrong time to support McLaren....and Lotus...

Gotta go with your heart...
By stonemonkey
Give 'em time, plenty of room for improvement there.
By Jabberwocky
Even in its poor state it kept the Sauber at bay for a few laps where by all right it should of left Jenson standing

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
By CigarGuy
Give 'em time, plenty of room for improvement there.

Boy, is THAT an understatement....
Button went to 10th when Force India pitted and within 5 laps, was 10+ seconds behind again.
I can't see Alonso in any hurry to rush back?!
By sagi58
F1 2015 Australian GP - Ron Dennis post qualifying interview

[youtube]pqY1WqRH65Q[/youtube]
By sagi58
Magnussen not pointing fingers:

wrote:">Magnussen takes responsibility for Melbourne crash

Kevin Magnussen swiftly took responsibility after crashing his McLaren-Honda in Melbourne practice. The Dane is filling in for Fernando Alonso this weekend, as the Spaniard continues to recover from his mysterious Barcelona testing crash.

After returning to the paddock, Magnussen initially told Sky's pitlane reporter Ted Kravitz he was "surprised" to have lost control of the MP4-30 at turn 6. He vowed to "look at the data". Lotus reserve Jolyon Palmer agreed with Magnussen that it was a "slightly strange incident".

But Magnussen promptly 'tweeted': "The crash was my mistake. Just lost the rear on the entry and unfortunately hit the wall and damaged the left front."
By myownalias
That's two strange crashes in a few weeks... I smell a conspiracy and it was Fernando's car that crashed a second time (despite K Mag driving)?

I think that Ron is seeking revenge for 2007 :twisted:
By sagi58
That's two strange crashes in a few weeks... I smell a conspiracy and it was Fernando's car that crashed a second time (despite K Mag driving)?

I think that Ron is seeking revenge for 2007 :twisted:

:scratchchin: maybe he's covering his bases by agreeing the crash is a mystery to him??

(( :whistling: ))
By zurich_allan
The question for me is whether or not McLaren can make a 2009 style comeback where they started the season nowhere yet eventually won a couple of races. Of course race wins this season look to be out of the question, might they at least catch up with, say Force India and Sauber? Once they get the Honda engine properly tuned and developed, and then adjust their aero and mechanical setup after feedback from the first few races they should gain at least a second or two per lap... in theory...
By myownalias
The question for me is whether or not McLaren can make a 2009 style comeback where they started the season nowhere yet eventually won a couple of races. Of course race wins this season look to be out of the question, might they at least catch up with, say Force India and Sauber? Once they get the Honda engine properly tuned and developed, and then adjust their aero and mechanical setup after feedback from the first few races they should gain at least a second or two per lap... in theory...

I truly hope that you are right, it's not right seeing a team like McLaren Honda trundling around at the back, making up the numbers.
By zurich_allan

I truly hope that you are right, it's not right seeing a team like McLaren Honda trundling around at the back, making up the numbers.

It gives me the same sad feeling I had watching Team Lotus in 1991-1994. :( Thankfully McLaren have a better, more stable business model than Lotus did so won't be disappearing any time soon, but it's certainly a position they don't want to stay in. With Ron back at the helm, I can't see them staying at the back for too long. Even if it means the whole of this season becomes a write-off.
By darwin dali
The puzzling/surprising/shocking thing for me is the fact that Honda/McLaren had such a long time to prepare their engine and yet they seem to have arrived in Australia completely unprepared and behind schedule. Couldn't they have done some engine mapping work on the dyno/simulator last year?
By zurich_allan
The puzzling/surprising/shocking thing for me is the fact that Honda/McLaren had such a long time to prepare their engine and yet they seem to have arrived in Australia completely unprepared and behind schedule. Couldn't they have done some engine mapping work on the dyno/simulator last year?

I think it's perhaps more the issue for Honda that it's not just an engine any more. I could well be wrong, but the feeling I get is that the 'power unit' as a whole is a new-ish concept for them to get their heads round (in a track racing sense) and they are still working out how to balance the mapping of the maximum power output with a level of necessary cooling / reliability.

See our F1 related articles too!