FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By myownalias
Unfortunately this was inevitable given that the four teams given entrance into F1 were promised a sport with a strict budget cap. When that failed to materialize; the writing was already on the wall; I'm amazed that the remaining two teams Marussia and Caterham are still competing five years on.
By Jabberwocky
They have lasted a lot longer than a few prestigious teams.
By LewEngBridewell
At least HRT made it to the end of the season

Although outfits like Super Aguri didn't a few years before them.

Sad news if true, the more teams the better, as I've always said. :(
By What's Burning?
Au revoir Caterham?
GPUpdate Caterham has refused to comment on reports that former Formula 1 driver Christijan Albers has been appointed as CEO of the team when quizzed on the matter by GPUpdate.net.

According to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, Tony Fernandes has sold the team to a consortium of businessmen from the Middle East and Albers will now be named as the new boss in time for this weekend's British Grand Prix. Albers was unavailable when contacted by GPUpdate.net.

Colin Kolles – former Team Principal at Force India and HRT – has also been recruited as a consultant, it is alleged. Kolles was most recently linked to Forza Rossa, the new Romanian team that was looking to join the sport in either 2015 or 2016.

The report adds that Caterham will make an official announcement later today.Fernandes dropped a firm hint that he was looking to leave F1 last week, when he tweeted: "F1 hasn't worked, but love Caterham Cars."

The message was posted shortly before he closed his Twitter account. Fernandes' team has struggled since joining the sport back in 2010 and currently languishes at the bottom of the 2014 F1 Constructors' Championship after a difficult start to the year.
By LRW
Apparently there HAS been an official statement confirming.... Just trying to find a decent source.

This'll do

Caterham F1 Team is pleased to confirm that Tony Fernandes and his partners have sold the team to a consortium of Swiss and Middle Eastern investors, advised by former F1 Team Principal Colin Kolles.

Under the terms of the sale, the team will continue to race as Caterham F1 Team and will remain based at Leafield for the foreseeable future.

The new ownership takes charge with immediate effect. Former Dutch F1 driver, Christijan Albers, assisted by Manfredi Ravetto, will take over the day-to-day running of the team, reporting directly to the board and replacing Cyril Abiteboul who will leave the team to pursue new challenges.

Christijan Albers:"We are aware of the huge challenge ahead of us given the fight at the bottom end of the Championship and our target now is to aim for tenth place in the 2014 Championship. We are very committed to the future of the team and we will ensure that the team has the necessary resources to develop and grow and achieve everything it is capable of."
By Jabberwocky
The curse of the Leafield technical center strikes again. Arrows, Super Aguri, and now Caterham

Sent using NCC-1701
By Hammer278
Goddamn it Fernandez.

And to think he made such a ruckus about Petronas ditching them to go with Mercedes....Petronas' official quote was "It just made more business sense" and now we see why. :irked:

Fernandez likes football more than F1...now that QPR is back in the league, f**k F1 right? :wavey-finger:
By Jabberwocky
His heart or wallet has not been in it for years. That is why Caterham has not realised its potential which I believe at the start was better than Marussia and HRT.

Sent using NCC-1701
By geetface9
Yeah I thought fernandes had a real passion for it through 2012. After the row over the team lotus name (which was total bull$#@! and fernandes got the shaft) and the petronas thing, marussia getting points was probably the final nail in the coffin. the third strike.
By Jabberwocky
Apparently the new buyers want to remain secret but some sky F1 seems to believe Bernie, and Red Bull, have put some pennies into it.

Sent using NCC-1701
By Jabberwocky
Sky said it was more a case of claiming equity to cover unpaid bills. They use Red bull Gearboxes

Sent using NCC-1701
By LRW
Sky said it was more a case of claiming equity to cover unpaid bills. They use Red bull Gearboxes

Sent using NCC-1701

Yeah I saw. But you think that RedBull won't put pressure on them to help out if needed. Get in the way when needed.

I'm a cynic.
By Jabberwocky

Sent using NCC-1701

Yeah I saw. But you think that RedBull won't put pressure on them to help out if needed. Get in the way when needed.

I'm a cynic.

who knows, maybe it is more to do with securing votes when they need something unanimous. Maybe even the Redbull engines in 2016

See our F1 related articles too!