FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

I'd like to see Caterham do well, but their progress has been quite...boring to be honest. Every year, Fernandez goes like "oh, great progress we have made!" and I can't see it. They are still trailing at the back in races, and this year I think Virgin is actually ahead of them so far in the Championship courtesy to better finishes.

If they don't make headway by the end of this season, they're just wasting their time.
yeah, I don't buy the whole "it's so hard to make an F1 car" argument, and here's why: last year, caterham were challenging williams for the back end of the midfield. In the space of a few months, Williams, while admittedly a more experienced team than caterham, jumped from the back of the midfield to securing pole position and legitimately WINNING A GRAND PRIX. What about caterham? They're still trying to claw their way into the midfield.

Ultimately, I think it all boils down to getting the right people working for you. Caterham just doesn't have the cash or prestige to attract the most talented engineers/designers.
yeah, I don't buy the whole "it's so hard to make an F1 car" argument, and here's why: last year, caterham were challenging williams for the back end of the midfield. In the space of a few months, Williams, while admittedly a more experienced team than caterham, jumped from the back of the midfield to securing pole position and legitimately WINNING A GRAND PRIX. What about caterham? They're still trying to claw their way into the midfield.

Erm... Williams have a massive infrastructure of technology and network of experience built up over decades and Caterham haven't even existed for 3 years?! You're right building an F1 car to such a high level is a piece of piss...
In the space of a few months, Williams, while admittedly a more experienced team than caterham, jumped from the back of the midfield to securing pole position and legitimately WINNING A GRAND PRIX.

"Securing" pole position somewhat clouds the reality though. The real polesitter was way ahead, time-wise.
In the space of a few months, Williams, while admittedly a more experienced team than caterham, jumped from the back of the midfield to securing pole position and legitimately WINNING A GRAND PRIX.

"Securing" pole position somewhat clouds the reality though. The real polesitter was way ahead, time-wise.

He was also way empty on fuel so i'm not sure how much of that was actually the car and how much was the fuel :confused: Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that hamilton would have pulled off an amazing lap and clinched P1 with a legal amount of fuel cuz that's just his talent, though I'm not sure if it would be half a second
OK then lets have a look at this from a different way. What are Caterham missing?

I would imagine in the 1st year they would be missing some basic information like the optimal wheel lenth etc. Saying that would engineers of not brought that knowledge with then from having years of experience in the sport?

He was also way empty on fuel so i'm not sure how much of that was actually the car and how much was the fuel :confused: Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that hamilton would have pulled off an amazing lap and clinched P1 with a legal amount of fuel cuz that's just his talent, though I'm not sure if it would be half a second

Well techinally they thought he was low on fuel, he may have had enough to make it. regardless, it is still amazing to see williams up there like that. I wrote them off after last season.

Well techinally they thought he was low on fuel, he may have had enough to make it. regardless, it is still amazing to see williams up there like that. I wrote them off after last season.

I hope the Grove boys don't ever sink to those depths again.
I know it's not completely as black and white as the pure laptime, but Kovalainen's Caterham was only 1.2s of a time that would have gotten into Q3...
"I am obviously a very happy man today. That was one of the most tense but most exciting races we have had since we came into the sport just two and a half years ago, and to be not only racing Jenson's McLaren, but to be keeping him behind us and to be able to resist his attacks is a huge achievement for a team that is still young, still growing and hungrier than ever to succeed. In fact, when Heikki passed Jenson out of the pits that was definitely the most exciting moment in my Formula 1 career and something that I will remember for ever. For Vitaly today will go down as one of those races. It was good to see him how disappointed he was to be forced out by something out of his control as it proves how hungry he is to help us keep pushing forwards, but he has had another good weekend with us and I am sure the luck will turn for him soon. On the other side of the garage Heikki put in one of the best drives we have seen from him since we started back in Bahrain 2010 and his 13th place today puts us back into tenth in the championship and gives us a very good platform to work from for the rest of the season. I am also extremely proud of how the whole team worked today. The people back at the factory have never stopped working as hard as they can to give the drivers a car that they can use like they did this weekend, and the team on track were magnificent today. Calm, professional and as good as anyone else out there in the pitlane. When Heikki had to box late on in the race for a new nose it was a pretty tense moment, but they performed brilliantly, enough to make our Chief Race Engineer Jody Egginton tell them over the radio that they had done a "fantastic job lads - pure mint", and that sentiment goes for the whole team. I am an optimist and our pitwall is full of people who would call themselves realists - I would probably say they are pessimists - but after today I have never seen so many pessimists so optimistic about the future. A great day for sure."

After Monaco, Tony is celebrating as if they just won some points...when all they did was get back into the 'best of the new and crappy teams' league. Plus, holding back a McLaren with a driver who doesn't know overtaking, moreover on a track like Monaco isn't much to celebrate about...eternal optimist this guy. :rolleyes:
Caterham are progressing nicely. Points are surely not far away now.

I have my fingers crossed. :pray:

I'm very fond of that plucky little team.
I think they have missed the boat for points this year. I think there best chance this year would of been at the start of the year when reliability is at its worst.
I think they have missed the boat for points this year. I think there best chance this year would of been at the start of the year when reliability is at its worst.

Maybe a crazy race in Montreal could yield a chance? :D

See our F1 related articles too!