FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By andrew
How's it an unfortunate comparison?

All he's saying is that Adrian Newey sees things first before his peers in other teams see them. How's that unfortunate? Sounds like Webber's singing Neweys praises.
By spankyham

All he's saying is that Adrian Newey sees things first before his peers in other teams see them. How's that unfortunate? Sounds like Webber's singing Neweys praises.

Steve Jobs stole everything that made Apple, he stole it from Xerox, Palo Alto in 1979. Xerox were the inventors of the mouse, WYSIWYG, Windows and networked PC's. Jobs wasn't alone, Gates stole from the same group and then Jobs and Gates went at each other for years basically over who had stolen the stuff first :)
By Hammer278

Steve Jobs stole everything that made Apple, he stole it from Xerox, Palo Alto in 1979. Xerox were the inventors of the mouse, WYSIWYG, Windows and networked PC's. Jobs wasn't alone, Gates stole from the same group and then Jobs and Gates went at each other for years basically over who had stolen the stuff first :)

It's a stupid comparison...Jobs wasn't some tech genius, he was a thoroughbred businessman who knew how to pull strings and like you said, steal the right stuff and present it in a way which makes people turn into sheep and run to buy whenever a new product is launched.

Maybe naming Newey the Einstein of F1 would be a lot closer to the mark.
By darwin dali

Very lopsided view on your part - see, e.g., this!
By spankyham

Very lopsided view on your part - see, e.g., this!

Unless you're an Apple Jihadists, what I said is a pretty fair summary. Rather than go through mountains of posts and quotes which validate my summary I'll simply end the discussion with a verbatim quote from Steve Jobs himself:-
"We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas" (rather ironic eh :) )
Last edited by spankyham on 03 Nov 12, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
By spankyham
Jobs wasn't some tech genius, he was a thoroughbred businessman who knew how to pull strings and like you said, steal the right stuff and present it in a way which makes people turn into sheep and run to buy whenever a new product is launched.

Spot on. It is amazing that two young entrepreneurs(Gates and Jobs) skyrocketed to the top of the business world with corporate empires that both owe their origins to Xerox Palo Alto. Amazing that both visited that place at the same time. Both saw the potential of what Xerox had, yet the then Xerox execs completely pulled the plug on it as having no commercial future. They reputedly had email running in that office as well.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner believes his team closed the gap in performance to McLaren at the Singapore Grand Prix and is confident both his drivers are in with a shot at the title.

Sebastian Vettel's victory in Singapore closed the gap to Fernando Alonso in the drivers' standings to 29 points, but McLaren still appeared to have the fastest car with Lewis Hamilton on pole and comfortably leading the race until a gearbox problem forced him to retire. Horner admitted McLaren had been the team to beat at recent races, but thinks Singapore marks a turning point in the development race.

"They've for sure made good progress since Hockenheim and they've brought some good upgrades that appear to have worked well for them. We've got some good stuff in the pipeline and we've been very competitive all weekend here [in Singapore]. Every session bar one we've been quickest, but it was the crucial one in that final qualifying.

"We've got some tracks coming up that will play to the characteristics of our car. We knew the last two races would be tough, we still managed to get a second place in Spa and it was disappointing to get DNFs in Monza. But there are some venues coming up that will play a bit more to our strengths."

Horner said Red Bull would continue to develop the car until the end of the season.

"We've got bits and pieces we're looking to get on the car between now and the end of the season. Of course it's all relevant to next year as well with continuity of the rules. So at every race we will be trying to get a little bit of performance at the different venues, which of course are all totally different. Every race we will try to get something on the car."

And the Red Bull boss believes Vettel is in the form of his career.

"I think he's got the benefit of experience now and I think he's never given up despite having some adversity thrown at him [this season]. I've never seen him as focused going into a grand prix as he was this evening and he executed a very, very impressive race today. For the championship it's wide open, it's just annoying that Fernando keeps popping up on the podium at the end of each grand prix."

Asked if Mark Webber, who is 62 points off Alonso after failing to score a point in Singapore, was still in the title race, Horner said: "Absolutely. You've got to include Mark, you've got to include Jenson. Even Kimi, he isn't that far off, and Lewis. There are six races still to go and 150 points on my maths still available and a lot to play for."
By What's Burning?
At this point from a math standpoint you've got 150 points on the table for 1st place and 108 points on the table for 2nd place so anyone that' less than a 42 point gap from Alonso at this point can still beat him by winning each remaining race even if Alonso come in second each remaining race. So yeah, This thing is anything but over, even for Webber.

I'm wearing my optimist specs though. :wink:
By LewEngBridewell
How do we feel about the venues for the rest of the season? Are they, as a whole, more likely to benefit Red Bull or McLaren, or will it be a bit of a mix? McLaren did well at Suzuka last year, but were crap in 2010...
By What's Burning?
I think McLaren will do well at all of the remaining venues, but Ferrari will do well as well. Red Bull says they've got updates so that remains to be seen but their strongest performance was to be Singapore. Then there's whatever Lotus does. Mercedes is not ever a factor any longer me thinks, as they're probably focused on next year's car for Lewis. :hehe:
By LewEngBridewell
I think McLaren will do well at all of the remaining venues, but Ferrari will do well as well. Red Bull says they've got updates so that remains to be seen but their strongest performance was to be Singapore.

I hope you're right! :pray:
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:

Red Bull boss Christian Horner also poured scorn on the reports.

"When bullpoo is written... Look, Sebastian and the team have a very strong relationship. We both know exactly where we stand now and for the future. Of course all members read the internet and read the media, so it's important to dispel any speculation that he may be going elsewhere.

"I did that on the day the rumours were speculated. Sebastian has been with Red Bull since 12 or 13 years of age. He's achieved all his grand prix victories in Red Bull-owned cars and he is very happy in being part of this team and he is an important part of this team."

Vettel's current contract actually runs through 2014 and Horner said he did not expect his star driver to suddenly decide he wanted to leave when it comes to renegotiations.

"I can't think of any driver who wouldn't want a contract with Red Bull at the moment."

Mighty confident about Red Bull's allure I'd say...
By spankyham
Reading all these denials about Seb moving to Ferrari in the future reminds of when, football teams come out with statements like they "fully support the manager" or "so-and-so has the full backing of the club". These are usually closely followed by the firing or resignation of that person :hehe:
By darwin dali
What do you expect Redbull to say? "Yeah he's going to Ferrari"

SV said it, Horner said it - it must be true, eh? pfft! :P
I posted it mainly b/c of the underlined 'spin' :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!