FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By darwin dali
Poles this season mean squat. Show me a good tire strategy and I'll show you a podium car.

I will say that it was touching watching him console Vettel. is that spin?

Only if he sticks it in there and spins it. :twisted:
By LewEngBridewell
Poles this season mean squat. Show me a good tire strategy and I'll show you a podium car.

To an extent I disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most races this season have been won from pole, haven't they? Apart from the last two? I'm certain!
By What's Burning?

To an extent I disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most races this season have been won from pole, haven't they? Apart from the last two? I'm certain!

Have you been drinking again? using Hamilton as an example, he didn't win when he go both poles. Vettel's has 2 or 3 poles and only one win.
By LewEngBridewell

Have you been drinking again? using Hamilton as an example, he didn't win when he go both poles. Vettel's has 2 or 3 poles and only one win.

:rofl: I actually haven't, I forgot that Jenson started 2nd in Melbourne for a start! Goodness me, well it must be half and half at least! :hehe:
By Hammer278
Maldo's won from pole. When he didn't even deserve 'pole'. :D
By geetface9

Indeed. Webber and Schumacher didn't make Q3 and they both were duking it out for the 3rd podium spot. If I were webber I'd almost be like :censored: Q3 cuz every time he makes it to Q3 it almost seems like he goes backwards, minus his monaco win. It's happened to several drivers in the top 10 as well, not just webber. Schumacher probably could have been on the podium several times already for all the times he didn't bother posting a Q3 lap and started in 10th, if it weren't for his car completely failing him all season long.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
[...]
Red Bull brought a major upgrade to the rear of its car at the last race in Valencia to enhance the performance of its diffuser. Horner is wary that Silverstone will provide a different challenge at this weekend's British Grand Prix, but said another strong performance would bode well for the car's chances at all venues this year.

"In Valencia the car worked very well, but that was in high temperatures and with a different type of layout. Hopefully it will follow through in to the next grand prix at Silverstone - it's a completely different layout of circuit with fast sweeping corners, probably cooler temperatures and knowing the British summer maybe a bit of rain. Hopefully the car can be competitive and if we can be competitive at Valencia and Silverstone then the rest of the season looks promising."
By spankyham
More Claytons protests?

Red Bull have certainly been in the spotlight for long time now regarding just how legal their cars have been. But for all the talk they have not once been penalized for racing with any illegal parts. The closest IMO was Silverstone last year.

Even I'm getting a little ticked off with people/teams questioning Red Bull and yet not carrying through, and I'd have to include Ferrari in that criticism. Some say they don't want F1 to suffer from a scandal, but, personally I think they should put up or shut up. If anyone thinks the Red Bull car is illegal, then formally protest, its that simple. And, for the record, I'd have no problems with a legitimate protest over my teams car, so I don't see a real reason for not protesting.

The backdrop to the above is that I found out, through this article at F1Talks that Mercedes again complained to the FiA (immediately after the Valencia race) about Red Bull, and in particular engine overrun. Merc also raised this with the FiA before the season started. As I understand it Red Bull are achieving very high levels of exhaust blowing by cutting out cylinders on low speed corners to achieve deceleration while maintaining higher engine run and thus better exhaust blowing.
By Hammer278
I think if the teams had a serious case against Redbull, they wouldn't hesitate to take it up seriously. These half-assed attempts just mean Redbull are playing the rules extremely well or there's nothing yet 'illegal' on their car.
By spankyham
I think if the teams had a serious case against Redbull, they wouldn't hesitate to take it up seriously. These half-assed attempts just mean Redbull are playing the rules extremely well or there's nothing yet 'illegal' on their car.

Well then they should shut up and get on with beating them.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner insists his star driver Sebastian Vettel has not signed a pre-contract to move to Ferrari over the next two years.

Vettel's future has been the source of speculation at recent races, with rumours that he has already signed a contract to go to Ferrari in 2014. But Horner says his driver has reassured him that is not the case.

"I have spoken with Sebastian about it and he's made it quite clear that he hasn't had any dialogue and hasn't signed anything with Ferrari," Horner told Reuters. "The rumour mill always will continue."

Horner said it was not the first time speculation had linked a member of the Red Bull team to Ferrari, and hinted that Vettel is likely to stay put until 2014 at least.

"I think most of our team has been going to Ferrari at some point this year, whether it be Adrian [Newey], Mark [Webber], Sebastian, even myself at one stage was supposed to be going.

"Sebastian is very comfortable in the team, the team is very comfortable with Sebastian. He's been with Red Bull for over 12 years now and I think he will be us for quite a few years to come. I have no concern over Sebastian and where he will be in 2013, 2014 or beyond."

Horner is hoping Vettel's success at Red Bull will keep him at the team.

"I don't think Ferrari is a must for him," he added. "He's very happy where he is, achieving great results where he is and he's focused on trying to achieve a lot more."
By spankyham
Nice little interview on CNN with Adrian Newey. Interesting comments on creating and using gases for "other" purposes.

[youtube]f9TVVh5FdW8[/youtube]
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
[...]
"They are a factor and their car has been quick all year," he said. "They've got two good drivers and Kimi for sure is a factor in the drivers' championship, I think he's only one point behind Lewis [Hamilton]. As I said from race two, it would be foolish to underestimate any of our rivals at the moment. There's still a long way to go."

After the Hungarian Grand Prix, Webber said Red Bull had been dealing with some "friendly fire" at recent races in reference to a number of small issues on the car. At the Hungaroring on Sunday, Webber experienced a differential issue that resulted in increased tyre wear and a third pit stop, but Horner said consistent points scoring despite car problems would be the key to this year's title.

"With Mark, that's the 52nd race that he's now finished without a mechanical failure and that's one off a record," Horner said. "Of course we've had the odd issue here and there but all teams have them up and down the pit lane and they tend to balance themselves out. This championship will come down to the fourth places and eighth places on the days that you can't win the points that you want to collect. It was a tough race for us but hopefully we've got some good races coming up."
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
Mark Webber has defended Red Bull after the team has come under increased scrutiny for the design of its car.

The RB8 was found to have an engine map in Germany which, although a legal interpretation at the time, forced the FIA to close a loophole in the technical regulations. In Hungary a week later questions were raised over whether the team had been under investigation for an illegal ride-height system in Canada, but Webber said only issues surrounding Red Bull seem to become public knowledge.

"I think it's incredibly boring for most people," Webber is quoted by Reuters. "All we can do is keep passing every single test and we have....it's not a one-make series, you can design a car to the regulations and that's what we do.

"I know other teams have been asked to address things with their cars, but they (the FIA directives) are not for general consumption. And some of ours do make the general consumption, which is just the way it's been."

Webber likened Adrian Newey to Apple founder Steve Jobs, saying Red Bull's chief technical officer is always keen to pioneer new developments.

"Is he the Steve Jobs of Formula One? If Steve Jobs had not got up and said the first Apple computer was the one to have, we wouldn't have had our iPads. And that's what Adrian does. We know there are a lot of teams that copy what we have and there's a lot of things where the interpretation of the rules gets changed and we take it on the chin as well."

And Webber added that there would be similar developments that become talking points in the future.

"Whether it's with the wings or whatever - and there'll be something else I promise you that will pop up - we will always pass every single test. Not one single team has protested us, because they know it's within the rules."
By spankyham
Webber likened Adrian Newey to Apple founder Steve Jobs, saying Red Bull's chief technical officer is always keen to pioneer new developments.

"Is he the Steve Jobs of Formula One? If Steve Jobs had not got up and said the first Apple computer was the one to have, we wouldn't have had our iPads. And that's what Adrian does. We know there are a lot of teams that copy what we have and there's a lot of things where the interpretation of the rules gets changed and we take it on the chin as well."

A rather unfortunate comparison, unless Webber really doesn't like what's going on over at Red Bull.

And Webber added that there would be similar developments that become talking points in the future.

:yikes:

See our F1 related articles too!