FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By darwin dali
I just thought that Horner's performances as a spin doctor deserve their own spin room. So, keep adding on here if you come across nice examples :twisted:

This one is not a too typical spin performance because it actually conveys a lot of Red Bull reality (which according to AN is probably in a different dimension altogether from us mere mortals :hehe: ).

ESPNF1:

Christian Horner praised both of his drivers after Red Bull signed off a season in which it won both championships with a one-two at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Mark Webber's victory was his first of the season, and was aided by a gearbox problem for team-mate Sebastian Vettel. Horner admitted to the BBC that he was highly impressed by Vettel's ability to still bring the car home in second place, but said that the mechanical issue should not detract from Webber's victory.

"It was a difficult race for Sebastian, the gearbox had a problem from lap five - we didn't think it would make half distance," Horner said. "He kept it alive, he short shifted, he did all the things that were needed to and it was phenomenal for him to get it to the end. But let's not take anything away from Mark Webber, he drove a phenomenal race today and fully deserves that victory.

"Mark's had a tough year but he's kept his head down, he's kept working hard at it and he has been competitive all year here. He wanted to finish the year on a high; it's a great race to win the final race of the year and he's been up against a team-mate in the form of his life. Sebastian is an awesome competitor and that has to put things slightly in to perspective. But it's been an unbelievable year for the team for all the guys and girls in Milton Keynes, without their hard work and dedication none of this would have been possible."

When asked what Webber could do to counteract Vettel's dominance next season, Horner said he expected to see a more sustained challenge in 2012 but warned that Vettel's confidence would be sky high.

"He's signed off the year in the best way. He's won the last race, he can go in to the winter, he can reflect on this year, and he's an honest guy. He'll look at his own performances and I'm sure he'll come back stronger. Sebastian's confidence; even with that gearbox problem we struggled to slow him down. We kept telling him to stop changing gear, he did that but he kept going quick. So it's a great pairing for us to have in our car and I'm delighted they're both with us next year."
By darwin dali
F1Live:

Sebastian Vettel insists Red Bull will not rest on its laurels after winning back-to-back titles over the past two seasons.

Vettel dominated the drivers' championship in 2011 and is the favourite to do so again in 2012. However, he insists that Red Bull is taking nothing for granted and that the team knows how much hard work is needed to maintain its position at the top.

"We will try (to win again)," Vettel told France's Auto Hebdo. "But the beauty of this sport is that before a new season, all the points counters are reset. It is up to Red Bull to build a competitive chassis and Renault to produce a powerful and reliable engine. There is no certainty; nothing is sure about this (success) continuing."

He added that 2011 had not been an easy year as the team was constantly pushing to stay ahead of its rivals.

"All year long [we were] pushing to keep the car at the level that it was," Vettel said. "McLaren were pushing massively and I think at the end we were pretty even. I don't think that one car really had the edge."
By vlad
Next season is going to be tough... Of course, Ferrari will take the advantage of the rule changes, but they still won't be able to win it... :twisted:
By madbrad
CH has been to Ronspeak school.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
Adrian Newey is viewing Red Bull's 2012 car as an evolution of his previous three cars, despite changes to the regulations.

Since Formula One's aerodynamic regulations were given an overhaul in 2009, Red Bull has produced race winning cars each season and won championships in 2010 and 2011. Key to its success has been its evolution of a successful design over the past three years and a main feature of those cars has been the exhaust blown diffuser. In 2012 exhaust blown diffusers will be banned, but Newey says that will not mean a change of tack for RB8.

"It's still an evolution," he told ESPNF1. "The changes for next year are principally a ban on exhaust blown diffusers and a change to the nose height. I don't feel that that means you have to have a wholesale change of the underpinnings of the car. So RB8 will be the fourth generation of the car that started off as RB5."

Asked if he was frustrated that the FIA had banned a technology that Red Bull had pioneered over the last three years, Newey said: "I guess its par for the course really. F1 has a long history of a team, whether it's us or someone else, who comes up with an idea and then it gets clamped down. That's the nature of the business."

After a number of retirements due to reliability issues in 2010, the 2011 Red Bull was near-bullet proof. Newey said the team is hoping to maintain that into 2012.

"You can never count on reliability because it comes through a lot of hard work and discipline," he added. "It's that balance of trying to push everything as hard as you dare in the pursuit of performance without losing reliability in the process. In 2010 we threw away a lot of points with problems, but they were silly problems, they weren't problems due to the fundamental reliability of the car."
By darwin dali
MW on Monaco:
[...] I could have slowed down and it would have been even better for the team. But it just wasn't part of the plan.

"The problem with trying to do that would be that you're exposing yourself to even more pressure from the guys behind - Nico and Fernando in this case. And then the boys in the pits might mess up Seb's stop and it would all be for nothing. You always get bitten on the bum when you get fancy. So you just don't try."

Hey Lew, take the underlined to heart! :whip::twisted::hehe:
By LewEngBridewell
MW on Monaco:
[...] I could have slowed down and it would have been even better for the team. But it just wasn't part of the plan.

"The problem with trying to do that would be that you're exposing yourself to even more pressure from the guys behind - Nico and Fernando in this case. And then the boys in the pits might mess up Seb's stop and it would all be for nothing. You always get bitten on the bum when you get fancy. So you just don't try."

Hey Lew, take the underlined to heart! :whip::twisted::hehe:

Biting + bum? Hmmm. Interesting.... :twisted:
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner is confident the RB8 will now be competitive in most conditions after it dominated qualifying and the first half of the race at the European Grand Prix.

Sebastian Vettel looked set for his second victory of the season in Valencia until a faulty alternator brought his car to a halt. Most teams' performance has varied from race to race this year depending on circuit characteristics and temperatures, but Horner thinks the updated Red Bull is now a good all-rounder and will be in the mix at the next race at Silverstone.

"I think the car is pretty strong in most conditions now so we will keep pushing, keep trying to get performance to the car and hopefully we can be strong in Silverstone. Fernando [Alonso] was tremendously quick there last year, particularly in the second half of the race, so it will be an interesting weekend. We're not even halfway through the championship yet, but it feels like we've done an awful lot of racing up to this point.

"I think that we see form fluctuate from circuit to circuit, but we've had three poles in the last three races and that's encouraging. We were in a commanding position here, tyre degradation looked very low and we were able to match that of our nearest rivals this weekend, and on that side it's been positive. Obviously it's very disappointing to have a DNF and I think the first mechanical retirement we've had since Korea 2010. That's disappointing, but together with Renault I'm sure we'll learn from it and we won't see a repeat."

He said the improved performance of the Red Bull over the weekend offered some consolation.

"The comfort that we must take out of Seb's performance is that he was in a class of his own today and he was in complete control. He had tremendous pace and we leave Valencia knowing we've got a quick car. Mark very much demonstrated that with his recovery from 19th on the grid to fourth on the road."
By LewEngBridewell
Yehhhhh, but it dominated in Bahrain didn't it? And was back off the pace until last weekend! Horner shouldn't start counting his chickens just yet, not this season.
By vaptin
Schumacher did the fastest qualifying lap in Monaco, Horner is probably angling for a political career.
By What's Burning?
Poles this season mean squat. Show me a good tire strategy and I'll show you a podium car.

I will say that it was touching watching him console Vettel. is that spin?

See our F1 related articles too!