FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Jabberwocky
He has not even registered on tje driver market this year

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
By LewEngBridewell
I'm not so thrilled - would like to see someone more competitive land that seat.

More competitive? What makes you think that Ricciardo isn't as competitive?
By Hammer278
I'm not so thrilled - would like to see someone more competitive land that seat.

The fact that he's behind Vergne in the WDC, and also the fact that his most momentous occasion in F1 actually happened off the track... "I'm just an animal!! I'm waiting to be let out of the cage!!!!"
By Zekenwolf
Algeursari was plain unlucky, wrong timing. If Webber had quit in 2011, he would have got the seat I reckon. And he could have got himself another seat if it wasnt for Red Bull screwing him

I agree. It was an odd decision to leave Jaime Alguersuari out. I think he is a better driver than Ricciardo.

I wonder if JA did something off-tack to annoy one of the higher-ups in RBR?
By LewEngBridewell
Algeursari was plain unlucky, wrong timing. If Webber had quit in 2011, he would have got the seat I reckon. And he could have got himself another seat if it wasnt for Red Bull screwing him

I agree. It was an odd decision to leave Jaime Alguersuari out. I think he is a better driver than Ricciardo.

I wonder if JA did something off-tack to annoy one of the higher-ups in RBR?

Wasn't it Alguersuari who famously got absolutely bollocked by Helmut Marko for driving in front of Seb for "too long" in free practice a couple of years ago in Korea? :hehe:
By Zekenwolf

Ricciardo will be out to prove himself all right but I do not think that he is as good a driver as Webber. Webber's problem was that despite his skills as an F1 driver he did not have enough fire in his belly to be a consistent frontrunner. When fired-up he could be very focussed and produce exceptional results - as at Silverstone 2010 for example - but such occasions were too few and far between. Mostly Webber seemed to lose focus somewhere along the weekend and be just a journeyman. Sadly, that has been the story of his F1 career.

Ricciardo will be more motivated than his predecessor, being young and all that but I do not think he has enough skills to challenge Vettel up front.
By Big Azza

The fact that he's behind Vergne in the WDC, and also the fact that his most momentous occasion in F1 actually happened off the track... "I'm just an animal!! I'm waiting to be let out of the cage!!!!"

Agreed, second year straight that Ricciardo has been behind Vergne in the WDC standings.

I would think that, in order to be eligible for a seat in a 4xWDC/WCC winning team, you would be banging down the door screaming for a race seat through amazing performances. (A la Vettel in 2008). But I can see why Red Bull would do it. Why bother keeping the race seat warm for an STR driver when you could actually get an STR driver in the seat. I just think they picked the wrong driver though.

But Ricciardo is at least consistent, something which Vergne is not. Maybe that's the main quality that Red Bull are going for?
By LRW
But Ricciardo is at least consistent, something which Vergne is not. Maybe that's the main quality that Red Bull are going for?

Consistency is an excellent No.2 quality especially when it comes to the WCC.
By bud

Agreed, second year straight that Ricciardo has been behind Vergne in the WDC standings.

I would think that, in order to be eligible for a seat in a 4xWDC/WCC winning team, you would be banging down the door screaming for a race seat through amazing performances. (A la Vettel in 2008). But I can see why Red Bull would do it. Why bother keeping the race seat warm for an STR driver when you could actually get an STR driver in the seat. I just think they picked the wrong driver though.

Points do not represent everything, Daniel has shown more prospect than Vergne overall this season.

On a side note I don't get you big azza, it's like you deliberately do not support Australians incase you're seen as having some bias...
By Zekenwolf

True, but what use is consistency if there are no points at the end of it? It does not help WCC either.

The problem with Ricciardo this season has been that he appears to flatter only to deceive. OK, it may not have been his fault all the time but having been chosen to represent the senior team, it would look awkward now if he fails to finish well ahead of his Toro Rosso teammate. And Vergne will do everything in his power to stay ahead.
By LRW

True, but what use is consistency if there are no points at the end of it? It does not help WCC either.

The problem with Ricciardo this season has been that he appears to flatter only to deceive. OK, it may not have been his fault all the time but having been chosen to represent the senior team, it would look awkward now if he fails to finish well ahead of his Toro Rosso teammate. And Vergne will do everything in his power to stay ahead.

I dont think RBR will care if he finishes ahead of Vergne or not - otherwise surely they wouldn't of picked him? I guess they see something in him, over Vergne. Maybe its not just about his on-track ability? Maybe they see him as being more 'on-brand' than Vergne..?

Either way, I think its going to spur them both on to do well for the remainder of the season - Ricciardo to prove they made the right choice, and Vergne to prove they made the wrong one!
By andrew
Of course they'll care! If Vernge, the inferior driver, starts showing up Ricciardo, the superior driver, it'll make RBR look a bit silly in their choice of driver.
ESPNF1 Mark Webber is expecting his replacement at Red Bull, Daniel Ricciardo, to give Sebastian Vettel a hard time in qualifying this year.

Ricciardo joined the team from Toro Rosso over the winter after Webber decided to quit Formula One for sportscars. Webber only beat Vettel in qualifying on two occasions in their final year as team-mates, but he believes Ricciardo has the ability to equal the four-time champion over the course of the season.

"He'll go well," Webber said in an interview for the March issue of Motor Sport magazine. "I think he'll give Seb a real hard time in qualifying - it'll be 50:50 in the first year, I reckon.

"I took a few off Seb last year - and the blown floor is gone now. I think Daniel will be fine, and it certainly won't hurt him that he's come through the Red Bull system. I just hope he gets better starts than I did!"

Webber made clear that he holds Vettel's driving ability in high regard, but believes Ferrari's Fernando Alonso is still the best racer in F1.

"I always thought Fernando was the best, and I still do - on Sundays. On one lap, though, I think Seb's got him covered - and I'm talking in terms of preparation, not just pace. Fernando's had a lot of poles in his time, but probably age has come into it - you lose a little bit. In the race, though, he's got more strings to his bow than anyone else, and he's relentless.

"Seb's strengths, as we know, are escaping at the start, and running in clean air - when you get these things in clean air now, it's a whole other story, in terms of tyres and so on. He's like a computer, isn't he? His only weakness was always fast corners."

See our F1 related articles too!