FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By racechick
Whooo! I hate big brother and I'm well out of my teenage years.....and I know it's really about the racing ( but come on...is it?? Or is it money? or is it politics? Or is it power?) for me the drivers are a big part, the human element and I can't help forming opinions..likes and dislikes about the personalities of the drivers. I love F1 and the drivers and their behaviour are part of it for me, and believe me, Ive been watching a good few years!
By sagi58
Whooo! I hate big brother and I'm well out of my teenage years.....and I know it's really about the racing ( but come on...is it?? Or is it money? or is it politics? Or is it power?) for me the drivers are a big part, the human element and I can't help forming opinions..likes and dislikes about the personalities of the drivers. I love F1 and the drivers and their behaviour are part of it for me, and believe me, Ive been watching a good few years!

I don't watch Big Brother and I'm longer in the tooth than most members here; but, I'm with you on the personality point!
I choose not to separate the man from the driver!!

As for snippets of conversations/interviews, etc... I'm betting I "know" more about these young men from the little I see
of them than most voters know about the politicians for whom they cast a ballot in favour of!!
By zurich_allan

No - that's the point - you're NOT forming opinions about the personalities of the drivers. Unless you are naive enough to think that the short media appearances give an accurate representation of the whole personalities of those drivers - which given the short nature and context, linked to the fact that as I mentioned before, those drivers probably have 40 hours+ of interaction with their team personnel, engineers and management over a race weekend, not to mention between races the work they will do with personnel back at the various factories, simulators and other team commitments. What you (and others) are doing, is basing a highly dubious opinion based on nitpicking what a person says at a short media appearance. It never has been and never will be a fair or relevant thing to do.

I will NEVER accept that it is appropriate to base opinions on that basis - because factually it's just wrong.
By sagi58
I will NEVER accept that it is appropriate to base opinions on that basis - because factually it's just wrong.

Maybe it's your opinion of the word opinion that needs to be addressed?
 wrote:">o·pin·ion (uh-pin-yuhn)
noun

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
By zurich_allan

Maybe it's your opinion of the word opinion that needs to be addressed?
 wrote:">o·pin·ion (uh-pin-yuhn)
noun

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Nope - I am well aware of what the meaning of the word is. That's not relevant though. What I'm talking about is forming a fair or accurate opinion, which is literally impossible under the circumstances, and as it is impossible, this is why I'm saying (and maintain) that it then becomes irrelevant.

Then again, if people want to do that, it's their choice, but I don't have respect for those that do, because it's patently ridiculous if you think about it in the context I've outlined.
By sagi58
Nope - I am well aware of what the meaning of the word is. That's not relevant though. What I'm talking about is forming a fair or accurate opinion, which is literally impossible under the circumstances, and as it is impossible, this is why I'm saying (and maintain) that it then becomes irrelevant.

Then again, if people want to do that, it's their choice, but I don't have respect for those that do, because it's patently ridiculous if you think about it in the context I've outlined.

By definition, an opinion is "personal", therefore it doesn't have to be "fair" or "accurate" by another person's opinion.

Maybe you're expecting personal opinions to be similar to a "medical" or a "legal" opinion? Because, if that's the case,
then your definition would be more plausible!

But, keep in mind, they are very different to "personal" opinions!!
By 1Lemon
Before you're all jumping to say he is being whiney, has anyone actually seen any interview with Paul after today's race?

“It’s such a shame to come away with nothing to show from a race where we had put ourselves in a position to score some valuable points. The management of the tyres was good and the overall performance in race conditions was very strong. Even without the safety car we were in good shape, but as a team we made the right calls and were looking to challenge the train of cars ahead of us in the final few laps. Then I had the incident at turn seven. I’m still not sure what happened, but I took the corner the same way as I had done the previous lap and the car went straight on and wouldn’t stop.

He said it was his fault, and if you noticed thanked the team for making the right calls (rare for FI) and when he was talking about being in front the 'we' was used a lot. Which is something he's taken a lot of stick for, and last race he came out and said it was his fault; why is Hamilton praised for heart on sleeve stuff but Paul is moaned at when he just speaks honestly in interviews?
By sagi58
...why is Hamilton praised for heart on sleeve stuff but Paul is moaned at when he just speaks honestly in interviews?

One word answer? Perspective! :D
By LRW
Doesn't matter where he got to at a certain point in the race. It's where he finished that matters.

Wasn't his DNF last race all to do with missing his breaking point and crashing into the back of another driver.

I used to support him. My issue with him now is nothing to do with what he says. It's the fact he just isn't showing enough talent. Isn't it 3 years he's been at FI now? Still not done enough to move up the ladder and, in my opinion, has squandered his chance in the sport.

Okay, by your own argument, Sutil is then even worse. If you're saying that "It's where he finished that matters" - which is what you've just said - then with di Resta ahead of Sutil in the championship, then you're saying that Sutil is not showing any talent either. If you are - then fair enough, but also if you are - then in my opinion it's far too one dimensional an approach to evaluating a driver either in F1 or in motorsport in general, and simply not accurate.

You're correct that in terms of points and the championship, then what matters is where he finished. But in terms of evaluating either his overall performance and potential, or talent, you are very, very wrong. Once again, he had the Force India in 3rd place, and would have still been competing for that place after the next round of pitstops had the safety car not come out. To overdrive and make a mistake is something that in the past, Hamilton has done, Vettel has done, Senna has done, Prost has done. Beyond those names, it's also something that 99.9% of all racing drivers have done multiple times.

All of that said - I agree completely that di Resta HAS to start getting some results in the next few races after a combination of team and individual errors have prevented him scoring for a few races now.

The mistake you seem to be making is you think I'm trying to convince anyone else that he is good / bad. I'm not. I'm just giving my opinion of him, and my reasons for it. So I don't really mind if you think my opinion is wrong.

I also have no time for Suitl.
By LewEngBridewell
I also have no time for Suitl.

But he's soooooooo good on the piano :yes:
By racechick
:rofl: I'm with you Sagi, I form my opinions from what I see and hear and I expect other people do exactly the same.
Ican still appreciated good driving if I don't like the driver. but best of all is good driving in a driver I like :D

Ps. Lew...Sutil...long fingers then :twisted:
By LewEngBridewell
Ps. Lew...Sutil...long fingers then :twisted:

:rofl: Ooooooooooooooo how NAUGHTY of you, RC! :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::whip::whip:
By Hammer278
Are you guys discussing 3rd base in the paul di resta thread? I don't even think the guy has reached 2nd by the way he speaks. :whip:
By racechick
Another driver error. Not looking good for him.
By Jabberwocky
Sutil is making mistakes as well so maybe the car is a handfull

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

See our F1 related articles too!