FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By racechick
He's not made it out of Q1 in five out of the last 8 races and always WE are not fast enough... Getting a bit of a tired phrase now.
By Jabberwocky
How many times has Sutil been out in Q1?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
By LRW
I used to feel support for DiR. He just annoys me now and has squandered his chance in F1.

He should not be here next season.
By Hammer278
I'm sure it's the TEAM'S fault that he missed his braking point and creamed his car into the barriers like a pro. :hehe:
By zurich_allan
A lot of you are being incredibly unfair on di Resta. As I've said before - I couldn't care less about a driver's personality or what they say, what I care about is what they do on the track. Today, di Resta made a mistake. Most tracks with a braking point error like that you just over-run the corner and no real damage done. Ricciardo did it earlier in the race - do you all think he's rubbish too (that IS the suggestion you are making about Paul)?

To repeat - ANY and ALL drivers could have made the same error, nearly EVERY driver misses a braking point or two at every single race. It's just a harsh reality that at a track like Singapore the wall is in close proximity to the corner and will end a race very quickly.

In that race, di Resta had managed to get his car into a place where it had no right to really be. He was going for a two stopper, and was in front of Alonso, Kimi etc. with the same number of stops left to make. Then the safety car screwed the strategy up and brought others into the mix. Without it, he would have likely finished somewhere between 3rd and 6th.

Some of you need to get over yourself and give him a break.
By sagi58
Personally, I like him! I'm not one to remember "every one else's race", so I tend not to comment.
However, in defence of those who do, maybe it's just that we're frustrated with Vettel basically
walking off with this year's title... again... and that's spilling over onto the rest of the grid??
By Zekenwolf
A lot of you are being incredibly unfair on di Resta. Some of you need to get over yourself and give him a break.

You are probably right. He is a good enough driver if and when he gets going but definitely lacks that 'push' or whatever it is that separates winners from also-rans. The trouble with Di Resta is that he comes across for whatever reason as a habitual also-ran.
By LRW
Doesn't matter where he got to at a certain point in the race. It's where he finished that matters.

Wasn't his DNF last race all to do with missing his breaking point and crashing into the back of another driver.

I used to support him. My issue with him now is nothing to do with what he says. It's the fact he just isn't showing enough talent. Isn't it 3 years he's been at FI now? Still not done enough to move up the ladder and, in my opinion, has squandered his chance in the sport.
By zurich_allan
Doesn't matter where he got to at a certain point in the race. It's where he finished that matters.

Wasn't his DNF last race all to do with missing his breaking point and crashing into the back of another driver.

I used to support him. My issue with him now is nothing to do with what he says. It's the fact he just isn't showing enough talent. Isn't it 3 years he's been at FI now? Still not done enough to move up the ladder and, in my opinion, has squandered his chance in the sport.

Okay, by your own argument, Sutil is then even worse. If you're saying that "It's where he finished that matters" - which is what you've just said - then with di Resta ahead of Sutil in the championship, then you're saying that Sutil is not showing any talent either. If you are - then fair enough, but also if you are - then in my opinion it's far too one dimensional an approach to evaluating a driver either in F1 or in motorsport in general, and simply not accurate.

You're correct that in terms of points and the championship, then what matters is where he finished. But in terms of evaluating either his overall performance and potential, or talent, you are very, very wrong. Once again, he had the Force India in 3rd place, and would have still been competing for that place after the next round of pitstops had the safety car not come out. To overdrive and make a mistake is something that in the past, Hamilton has done, Vettel has done, Senna has done, Prost has done. Beyond those names, it's also something that 99.9% of all racing drivers have done multiple times.

All of that said - I agree completely that di Resta HAS to start getting some results in the next few races after a combination of team and individual errors have prevented him scoring for a few races now.
By racechick
I've never liked his personality..whingey/ dour/ blame team. But I did think he was a decent driver, don't think that now. I could forgive errors, all drivers do them, but man up to them!!
By Zekenwolf
I know it sounds corny but the other thing that might be going against Di Resta is that he comes from Scotland - a place where the best two of British F1 drivers have come from. He might subconsciously be judged by comparison to them.
By racechick
I can see why you'd think that...but for me that doesn't enter into it.
By zurich_allan
I've never liked his personality..whingey/ dour/ blame team. But I did think he was a decent driver, don't think that now. I could forgive errors, all drivers do them, but man up to them!!

But why do people (out of their teenage years) even care about that? I am genuinely perplexed every time I hear this argument. It's not a blooming reality show where we vote for the best personality - it's a sporting contest. All you, me and everyone else here have to go on in this regard are a few short soundbites, and the odd couple of minute interview. We DON'T see the hours and hours of interaction that go on between the team members, between the drivers and engineers, the management etc.

I've always been very careful not to form opinions based on 30 seconds of what a driver, or any other sports person, has to say, as it is not an accurate representation of that person in context.

People on here say that they don't get what personnel in F1 and pundits see in di Resta, maybe you should all have a thought that the simple solution is the most likely one i.e. that they actually see and hear him and his actions on a race weekend up close a heck of a lot more than ALL of the rest of us do.

A lot of the people on here should go and watch Big Brother and give up on F1, their logic is warped.
By zurich_allan
I know it sounds corny but the other thing that might be going against Di Resta is that he comes from Scotland - a place where the best two of British F1 drivers have come from. He might subconsciously be judged by comparison to them.

What have DC and Johnny Dumfries got to do with this?!? :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!