FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Denthúl
If it's the latter, I agree with you, it's a great idea. The first three ideas ....not good.

Other than picking a driver based on financial aspects, what's not good?

The firing of Perez?

Pérez has struggled this year against a man who is largely considered to be fairly average in qualifying (having taken only a single pole position in his McLaren career); Hamilton out-qualified Button 16-4 last season, 13-6 in 2011 and I think it was the same in 2010, yet so far this year Sergio trails Jenson (currently 9-8 in the latter's favour). In races, Button has delivered almost twice as many points as Pérez has. It would be interesting to see a comparison of pace over race distances, though. Maybe if I can be bothered, I'll dust off what little R skills I have and do some graphs, if I can't find any online.

The hiring of button?

They took on the reigning WDC, who was the best available driver at the time, and he delivered. We all know that Hamilton was the faster driver, but they took a similar number of wins and points over three seasons together, helping the team finish second in the WCC twice and then third last year. Who else was available at the end of 2009 with the ability to bring them those kind of results? Alonso was signed by Ferrari, Kimi was on his way to WRC, Robert Kubica had been picked up by Renault, of course Seb was locked-in by RBR and Rosberg was heading to Mercedes. So their options, realistically, were Glock, Heidfeld, Trulli, Kovalainen for a third year or to try to pick up one of the best-of-the-rest from that year's GP2 season (Petrov, who ultimately ended up at Renault, or di Grassi who went to Virgin).
By sagi58
They took on the reigning WDC, who was the best available driver at the time, and he delivered. We all know that Hamilton was the faster driver, but they took a similar number of wins and points over three seasons together, helping the team finish second in the WCC twice and then third last year. Who else was available at the end of 2009 with the ability to bring them those kind of results? Alonso was signed by Ferrari, Kimi was on his way to WRC, Robert Kubica had been picked up by Renault, of course Seb was locked-in by RBR and Rosberg was heading to Mercedes. So their options, realistically, were Glock, Heidfeld, Trulli, Kovalainen for a third year or to try to pick up one of the best-of-the-rest from that year's GP2 season (Petrov, who ultimately ended up at Renault, or di Grassi who went to Virgin).

Thanks for reminding me of the "context" within which Button went to McLaren!
I tend to forget these ""little"" details!! :blush:
By What's Burning?
I will say this, Perez is taking being kicked out of McLaren with a lot more dignity than Maldonado is having been kicked out Williams.
By Denthúl
I will say this, Perez is taking being kicked out of McLaren with a lot more dignity than Maldonado is having been kicked out Williams.

What are you talking about? His future is in his hands. He wasn't kicked out at all! :hehe:
By racechick
If it's the latter, I agree with you, it's a great idea. The first three ideas ....not good.

Other than picking a driver based on financial aspects, what's not good?

The firing of Perez?

Pérez has struggled this year against a man who is largely considered to be fairly average in qualifying (having taken only a single pole position in his McLaren career); Hamilton out-qualified Button 16-4 last season, 13-6 in 2011 and I think it was the same in 2010, yet so far this year Sergio trails Jenson (currently 9-8 in the latter's favour). In races, Button has delivered almost twice as many points as Pérez has. It would be interesting to see a comparison of pace over race distances, though. Maybe if I can be bothered, I'll dust off what little R skills I have and do some graphs, if I can't find any online.

The hiring of button?

Should have said rehiring of Button.The hulk is available. Perez could shape up well and. Magnesun looks promising
By racechick

What are you talking about? His future is in his hands. He wasn't kicked out at all! :hehe:

Well I think he was. He hasn't handed his notice in voluntarily.
By 1Lemon

I think he means Maldo.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9025317/pastor-maldonado-happy-for-a-fresh-start-after-poor-year-with-williams
By racechick

I think he means Maldo.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9025317/pastor-maldonado-happy-for-a-fresh-start-after-poor-year-with-williams

Oh I see. Apologies. My mistake.
By Jabberwocky
Lets face it, unless the car is perfect for Jenson he is an average F1 driver. This year the car has not been perfect for him. Perez has been outscored substantially by Button this year

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
By CookinFlat6
Lets face it, unless the car is perfect for Jenson he is an average F1 driver. This year the car has not been perfect for him. Perez has been outscored substantially by Button this year

And I do not see how Jenson who needs a car perfect for him will add any value when there is a ton of adapting to be done to new cars and conditions without much track testing. Add a rookie with massive speed who is nevertheless still a rookie yet to make his first year adaptation and you have a recipe for a year that could make 2013 look like a high.

At least Sergio had experience and matched Jenson, why not keep him on and leverage from his year with the team.

poor Sergio was brought on as a raw near rookie to BE DEVELOPED, and now he was expected to be the finished article in a year with a crap car built around Jenson

Its criminal what has been done to the team
By Jabberwocky
Or you bring a rookie in who does not really know what an F1 car feels like so the whole adopting to the new style F1 is normal to him

By CookinFlat6
Or you bring a rookie in who does not really know what an F1 car feels like so the whole adopting to the new style F1 is normal to him

That makes sense as its the best time to throw in a bright rookie. Problem I see is that the rookie will have to carry the team for meaningful feedback. Button asked Perez about setup, we know he got bailed out by Lewis

Might just be too big an ask for young Mag, on the otherhand that would set his confidence and career up to develop his car where Button gets clueless

Sounds like Button is already getting nervous and hinting that he doesnt want to solely be relied upon for feedback.
"I'm always surprised by Formula One and things that change," Button said. "I was surprised last year when Lewis decided to leave and I think the same now. But it's what Formula One is like; things change and we learn to adapt. I've said all year that it's important to have a team-mate - especially with the new regulations - that has got experience.

"Kevin doesn't have that but I think his outright speed is very good and the bit that is more important for me is from the tests that he's done in an F1 can and looking at the data and what have you his feedback has been very good, which is going to be very important at the start of the year. We get equal days in the car and it's important that his feedback is good, having confidence in that. It is an exciting challenge for all of us next year and having Kevin on board with his speed and his determination I think is good for the team."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 5weHuWt.99

The WDC with 15 years experience is already talking about equal days and equla contributions with the rookie :rofl::rofl:
By Hammer278
I tell you what, that 2009 Brawn has done a whole bucket of wonders for Button's career. If that didn't happen, I doubt he'd even be in F1 right now.
By LRW
I tell you what, that 2009 Brawn has done a whole bucket of wonders for Button's career. If that didn't happen, I doubt he'd even be in F1 right now.

Im sorry to say it Hammer - but you may just have hit on something there.
By racechick
:confused: why can we all see it but Whitmarsh can't? :shrug: I know there's the 'disturbingly good looking' phrase, but that's just a tag to pin the whole bizarre situation on. This guy is a team boss! What really goes through his head?

So where next for checko? I wish him well and hope he gets a drive where he can show his skills.

See our F1 related articles too!