FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By racechick
Hey, you never know. It could turn out to be a brilliant decision.

The hiring of Magnesun may well be, I'm quite excited to see how that goes.
By NHcheese
I think it's a great decision. A decision that other teams would not make.
By LiamCatterson
I feel sorry for Checo...I mean, he wasn't given a chance if anything. The 2013 car was a lacklustre and 2014 could be a big season for McLaren. And on that note, WHAT ABOUT TOONED? (If it's commissioned for a third series, I won't be surprised if it isn't).
By racechick

Which bit do you think is good?

The firing of Perez?
The hiring of button?
A potential driver for cash?
Or the potential hiring of Magnesun?

If it's the latter, I agree with you, it's a great idea. The first three ideas ....not good.
By CookinFlat6
The only logic in this that works for McLaren is to assume that they see Button as a number 2 driver and view Sergio as being a replacement for Lewis. If that is their excuse for underperforming this season then it ties in with Sergio claiming that they dont have a clue and are not realistic in understanding their true position in the pecking order.

Or they screwed up and are floundering, trying to save face. They gambled on Perez bringing Telmex as a title sponsor and that hasnt happened so its over to plan b, pretend its about performance

The only facts so far are that McLaren have swapped a driver they would have to pay something with a driver they have to pay peanuts. So instead of having the 2 best available drivers McLaren are now admitting that they have a number 2 and are gambling on a rookie producing Lewis results
By Roth
It certainly is a cautionary tale. They're starting to resemble Williams. I was assuming Perez meant they still had a winning mentality, and that like '09 believed they would develop the car over the season, but that failed. He seems to be saying they should accept being a second tier team, which might point to why they got rid of him - that 'I drive what you give me so make it good' attitude. He didn't appear committed to the team or cemented in there. Not getting rid of Button is saving face. Two no-names wouldn't be in keeping with their heritage.
By LiamCatterson
So what now for Checo? Will Sauber drop Estiban? Or is this it for him? Because with Hulk or Pastor close to signing with Lotus (Apparently a deal has been signed for Pastor to join Lotus), where else will he go?
By bud
Sad to see him go, he never really had a proper shot but F1 is cut throat.

I have heard he is on his way to force India
By LiamCatterson
Sad to see him go, he never really had a proper shot but F1 is cut throat.

I have heard he is on his way to force India

A few drivers seem to be going there. Hulk for one if Lotus is a no-no...Hmmmm
By Hammer278
I just read the news....what a pity. Poor guy makes the headlines in his move to McLaren, arrives to a team preparing to make a sh*tbox of a car for him, still tries to do his best in the sh*tbox and matches and sometimes beats his politicking teammate for pace, and still gets booted at the end of the season.

Really hope he gets a seat next season which is able to beat McLaren.
By Hammer278
Definitely not as much, since I was a fan of this once great team from 1998 till 2007.
By CookinFlat6
And so if Mclaren get Alonso for 2015 (assuming it wasnt all a lie) they will be teaming him up with what they believe to be a super fast rookie like Lewis.

He will love that,

McLaren surely are experts at HR management
By racechick
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
By NHcheese

Which bit do you think is good?

The firing of Perez?
The hiring of button?
A potential driver for cash?
Or the potential hiring of Magnesun?

If it's the latter, I agree with you, it's a great idea. The first three ideas ....not good.

Yeah the latter. Speed should be the choice.

See our F1 related articles too!