FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By LewEngBridewell
I thought this wasn't a bashing thread?

:yes:

Some buttons will start getting pushed before long :wink:
By racechick
Mclaren wont have him lagging for too long.

Hopefully they don't leave him hanging. I'm not a fan of either driver but I prefer him over yon other guy, you know, whathisfacethingmebob - Dave, no that's not it. His name escapes me right now. :hehe:

:yikes: You dont like Lewis? Really? Well knock me down with a feather!!!
By Hansy

It's the law of the jungle that is the F1 community... some people bash on Lewis, some on Jenson, some on Seb, some on Nando and everyone on Felipe baby. :D (j/k)

That said, it's sad how some people still think Jenson has anything to prove yet. I didn't expect him to be going through such a bad phase after the strong show he gave on Melbourne, but I'm sure he'll bounce back :)
By myownalias
A quote from Lewis about Jenson:

And Hamilton reserved kind words for Button, whose dismal run continued in Canada with a 16th place after he was lapped by his team-mate.

“Of course I have sympathy for him,” he said. “Jenson is incredibly professional. He came up to see me in my room wearing the [rocket red victory] T-shirt, as we all do when we win. Jenson is a world champion and he is massively strong. He will bounce back. You can’t write him off for the championship because one win puts you right back up there.”

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... -Prix.html
By Hammer278
1) What do you think is the cause of Jenson's current downturn in form?'

I dont subscribe to Jenson having a downturn in form. I believe this is simply Button reverting to his traditional form after a blip upwards. From his first season when Sir Frank decided not to keep him at all costs, to Flabio ditching him for Alonso,to Ross Brawn ditching him despite his winning a WC, all these guys who know the difference between a competent and great driver have all voted with their wallets.
Button then ended up at a hopeless team that were trying to build up from nothing, this suited him perfectly as he could get away with what he is good at - hype and swarmy charm, acting and looking like a race ace, but with a ready made excuse for not achieving. Many questioned his staying with BAR for so long, thinking he was wasting his talent in a bad team. Really Jenson wwas at home, big salary, no pressure and his lack of greatness masked by incompetent management of then Hondas resources. All the years Button was at the team, with all their money and resources they went absolutely nowhere till the miracle of Brawn 2009. Button was out of job, no team boss wanted him, Brawn carried on with the team and Button had a car 2 seconds quicker than the rest. Even then he reverted to his lack of greatness or grit. He was outdriven by his teammate the oldest man on the grid in the 2nd half of the season and just scrapped through with the WC.

So for 13 years he has been mediocre except in a car way faster than the rest, like 2009, and some of 2011, even then he only drove well in a very good car. Lewis by going for broke to beat Vettel made Jenson look good as he had his best season because he had the second best car, and he came second, not even a sniff of challenging the best car driven by Vettel.

So has he lost form? hell no, he is just reverting to his normal standard. problem is that the cars are closer, so he is back to exactly where he has been for 13 years - the back of the grid

2) Why did McLaren renew jenson's contract for three years?

Good question. As I mentioned earlier Brawn, Briatori and Williams all saw through him. Who was Jenson going to con on the back of his lucky lucky WC in 2009?

step up a man infatuated by Jenson, a naive person, a guy who giggles in public, cries real tears and wets himself, step up a certain M Whitmarsh, now I dont even like to think what Jenson gave him or promised him but Martin agreed to do everything he could to make him WC, to guarantee that he would be on an equal footing with possible the best driver in F1, he gave him Lewis' engineer, reshuffled the team etc etc

So now Martin has delivered and he waits with bated breath for Jenson to fulfil his side of the bargain, and discovers he has been mugged off. Once Jenson gets his contract he reverts to his usual self and Martin is left high and dry, no kisses, no returning favours. So to keep his job he has to stop his 'equalisation' of the great and the rubbish. lewis finally gets upgrades, setup and strategy designed for him and not designed for him and lame duck button who has 'special needs'

And so once Lewis is not forced to compromise to accommodate a lame duck who is the apple of the bosses eye, we see the true difference in ability between the two.

Jenson is less brave (slower)than at least 10 of the other drivers, and the ones he is better than are those in cars built on a budget. He has camouflaged this for 13 years, but now the eyes are starting to open and its the end of a dream.

100% my thoughts about Jenson Button, his past and his present. Just couldn't have put it as well as you did. :)
By Hammer278

Mclaren wont have him lagging for too long.

Hopefully they don't leave him hanging. I'm not a fan of either driver but I prefer him over yon other guy, you know, whathisfacethingmebob - Dave, no that's not it. His name escapes me right now. :hehe:

Looks like you're doing your best to bash another driver who has nothing to do with this thread, eh Mr Hypocrite? :)
By acosmichippo
Clearly it's a conspiracy against Jenson. I mean there's absolutely no way he can be performing this badly without a coordinated effort from the team to keep him behind Lewis. DID YOU SEE Lewis and Whitmarsh jumping around like schoolchildren together??? DISGUSTING!!! GET A ROOM YOU TWO!!!

Let's hope Jenson finds a way out of his contract and can get Schumi's spot back on Brawn's team next year.

(sarcasm)
By racechick
:rofl::rofl: Brawn wont have jenson back..
Maybe the help has been withdrawn or downsized, leaving him struggling

(sarcasm)
By bud
Clearly it's a conspiracy against Jenson. I mean there's absolutely no way he can be performing this badly without a coordinated effort from the team to keep him behind Lewis. DID YOU SEE Lewis and Whitmarsh jumping around like schoolchildren together??? DISGUSTING!!! GET A ROOM YOU TWO!!!

Let's hope Jenson finds a way out of his contract and can get Schumi's spot back on Brawn's team next year.

(sarcasm)
:thumbup:
By PartsaS
I believe, Button is not a bad driver, (remember his brave overtakes, and overall good perfomance last year?) The problem is since he hasn't got the grip he is looking for... he won't risk anything and he will go on a parade till the end of the race, unlike Lewis who would drive bravely above the limits to overcome some lack of pace or downforce.
Maybe its the new nose or the rear downforce, or just his poor confidence and stress... I think it's temponary, I bet he will come back with another race win or at least a few podiums till the end of season. He is not the best, he can't overdrive a car like Lewis or Alonso can... but at least he is better than Massa :hehe:
I don't think Kobayashi, Perez or Rosberg could do a better job if they were in Buttons car
Maybe Grosjean could but on the other hand his perfomance may relly on the very good pace of Lotus which is very strong this year
in the end remember he has the most difficult job, as he is the teammate of the best driver in f1 right now :twisted:
By CookinFlat6

Sounds like you are interested in a good bashing yourself
By Fluffy
Jenson will bounce back, every driver has a slump in form. Rather at the start of the season then the end.

See our F1 related articles too!