FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By vlad
I still think he'll take this year's title. And that there will be more to follow. :clap:
By What's Burning?
I still think he'll take this year's title. And that there will be more to follow. :clap:

He may even win in 2012! But at this point I'm welcoming the 2013 regulation changes, it will really shake up the field! That being said though, let's take it one WDC at a time and let's wait and see if he does win 2011.
By Hammer278
I really think McLaren have a much better chance compared to last year. I believe their car has a lot of unlocked potential, as they were giving Redbull a hard time with a draft design of a failed project! Last year they started well with a car that was optimised, and were playing catch up with Redbull all the time. Fundamentally the car was good but never had the base to improve as much as the Redbull. This years car might be a completely different story.

This 3 week break will really be telling of who's going to take the fight to Redbull and I won't be surprised to see McLaren matching them for pace in qualifying and beating them in the race!
By Bubbie
It is the drivers call. If the driver cannot contact the pits then he can't make the call. To counter your stupid point, how well is a pit stop going to go if the pit crew head out and no driver shows up?

If Vettel had switched to a 4 stop he would have been even further behind.

The 3 stop strategy was clearly the faster strategy, so if he had switched from a 2 stop to 3 stop strategy who knows if he would have come out on top. The car when on form definitely had great performance (look at Webber's drive).

And since you like to say my question was stupid, I will counter with the fact that your point is completely ignorant of how F1 works, since the wall can communicate to the driver through the pit boards in the case of a radio failure. The driver cannot do this in return.
By The_Stig_Money
Did anybody see the interview after qualifing when Vettel was making fun of the red race suits the Mclaren drivers were wearing?

Nobody laughed except Vettel, classic german humor. LOL
By What's Burning?
Did anybody see the interview after qualifing when Vettel was making fun of the red race suits the Mclaren drivers were wearing?

Nobody laughed except Vettel, classic german humor. LOL

Unlike the Australian humor when Webber said he was thankful someone other than Vettel won! Vettel smiled at that one, you could cut the tension. :hehe:
By FRAFPDD
They say Germans have no sense of humour but Vettels funny as anything, and Shumis appearance on Top Gear, he was funny then.

I think Stereotypes are so backdated nowadays.
By sennasational
It is the drivers call. If the driver cannot contact the pits then he can't make the call. To counter your stupid point, how well is a pit stop going to go if the pit crew head out and no driver shows up?

If Vettel had switched to a 4 stop he would have been even further behind.

The 3 stop strategy was clearly the faster strategy, so if he had switched from a 2 stop to 3 stop strategy who knows if he would have come out on top. The car when on form definitely had great performance (look at Webber's drive).

And since you like to say my question was stupid, I will counter with the fact that your point is completely ignorant of how F1 works, since the wall can communicate to the driver through the pit boards in the case of a radio failure. The driver cannot do this in return.

Umm...the information they can transfer via the pit boards is extremely minimal and my point wasn't that they couldn't always tell the driver to come in but that if the driver didn't want to pit then he would have the final say the majority of the time, even if he can't communicate that to the pits he can always just not drive in. I also didn't say your question was stupid, i said your point about the car coming in with no pit crew out was stupid. I stand by that.

If Vettel had been on a 3 stop from relatively early then he may have done better, but if he decided to switch to a 3 stop (to counter the faster cars) when his prime tyres were deteriorating he would have been further behind, as far as i know he would have only had a fresh set of primes to put on again.
By geetface9
This is lame...I started a thread as a dedication to a drivers victory and stellar driving...and geetface started one of Webber for drive of the day.

This one exists just to follow suit for the sake of it? :yawn:

You started a thread as a dedication to a drivers victory and stellar driver...and I started one of Webber's stellar driving from 18th to third.

That one exists to show where the most stellar driving was done, and not from somebody who went 2nd on the starting grid to a win.

I wasn't critisizing your thread. Could you read my post again please?

Yes. Sorry! You were hating on the vettel thread, not mine, now that I reread that. GOOD FORM!
By vlad
So, Red Bull will sort out their KERS problems... I think Vettel is going to dominate again! :clap:
By F1er
So, Red Bull will sort out their KERS problems... I think Vettel is going to dominate again! :clap:

So your saying he cant win if his car isn't a second faster than his competitors? :eek:
By vlad
No, I'm saying that he could really use the KERS, especially while he's on the old tyres.
By CarBore

So your saying he cant win if his car isn't a second faster than his competitors? :eek:

Broken KERS is worse than no KERS at all

Failure to convert pole to a win in china was more down to tyre strategy than driver skill anyway. All the 2 stoppers got dropped in the rankings by the end.

Further more not 'dominating' by no means implies complete inability to win.
By vlad
Right words from the right person! :clap::clap::clap:

F1 : Giorgio Ascanelli - Vettel in Ayrton Senna league but Schumacher is not
Thursday, 21 April 2011 09:48

The highly talented Formula 1 engineer Giorgio Ascanelli, who worked closely with the great Senna at McLaren and with Vettel at Toro Rosso, sensationally claims Sebastian Vettel is in Ayrton Senna's league, but Michael Schumacher is not.

"I am very lucky," the Italian told Sport Bild. "Twice in my life I have experienced perfection, once with Senna, again with Vettel."

But Ascanelli also worked with Schumacher, the most successful Formula One driver of all time, at Ferrari.

"In one respect Michael was different because he had to work harder for his success than did Senna and Vettel. With those two it was something else," he insisted.

Added Gerhard Berger: "Before the season began I thought Alonso was the best driver, but maybe now it's Sebastian."
By sennasational
Right words from the right person! :clap::clap::clap:

F1 : Giorgio Ascanelli - Vettel in Ayrton Senna league but Schumacher is not
Thursday, 21 April 2011 09:48

The highly talented Formula 1 engineer Giorgio Ascanelli, who worked closely with the great Senna at McLaren and with Vettel at Toro Rosso, sensationally claims Sebastian Vettel is in Ayrton Senna's league, but Michael Schumacher is not.

"I am very lucky," the Italian told Sport Bild. "Twice in my life I have experienced perfection, once with Senna, again with Vettel."

But Ascanelli also worked with Schumacher, the most successful Formula One driver of all time, at Ferrari.

"In one respect Michael was different because he had to work harder for his success than did Senna and Vettel. With those two it was something else," he insisted.

Added Gerhard Berger: "Before the season began I thought Alonso was the best driver, but maybe now it's Sebastian."

I disagree with almost everything said there. Vettel is anything but edge of your seat racing and do or die maneuvers. Being able to get the most out of a brilliant car takes some skill, but being able to get wins in a pretty poor car takes a lot more skill and a lot more nerve.

To an extent the perfection remark is true, Senna just had a different take on it and we won't see if Vettel has a similar ability until he has a car that isn't faster than his competition. All i can see from Vettel is a title chaser who is capable of using the tools given to him, but that's just because that is all he has shown. I remain open minded but words can't convince me; I'd need to see evidence of him performing at the level his fans claim him to be and at the moment, i just don't see it.
Last edited by sennasational on 21 Apr 11, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

See our F1 related articles too!