FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
By Gary Wilson
Hi everybody
My son and I have for last year and this year been to a F1 for the weekend, i.e. travel out on the Friday and have the full weekend to watch all the races/qualifying (Porsche mobil super cup, GP2, GP3 , F1 etc) and then return home on the Monday. So far we have done Valencia last year (our first F1) and Hungary this year.
We are trying to plan one for next year, but we have to factor in the fact that he is at University, so not all race weekends available. We probably will consider Monza and Spa for next year, but being relative novices at attending F1 races does anyone have any advice on either the races/hotels/areas to stay/seating etc
All views gratefully received.
We are both McClaren fans, me supporting Hamilton and my son likes Button so as you can imagine there is a lot of bantering between us, never mind all the other drivers/teams...lol

Cheers
By racechick
Ive only been to Silverstone and Turkey but if I had to choose between those two Id choose Spa.
Why?
Its my joint favourite track.
Its nearer.
I have heard people who have been to Monza with grandstand tickets say that the officials on the gates open them up and it becomes a free for all, whether you have a numbered ticket or not.That of course may have been a one off but you might like to check out stories from people who have been(try googling it)
Ive only heard good from people who've been to Spa.
By Gaz
Hi everybody
My son and I have for last year and this year been to a F1 for the weekend, i.e. travel out on the Friday and have the full weekend to watch all the races/qualifying (Porsche mobil super cup, GP2, GP3 , F1 etc) and then return home on the Monday. So far we have done Valencia last year (our first F1) and Hungary this year.
We are trying to plan one for next year, but we have to factor in the fact that he is at University, so not all race weekends available. We probably will consider Monza and Spa for next year, but being relative novices at attending F1 races does anyone have any advice on either the races/hotels/areas to stay/seating etc
All views gratefully received.
We are both McClaren fans, me supporting Hamilton and my son likes Button so as you can imagine there is a lot of bantering between us, never mind all the other drivers/teams...lol

Cheers

If your Mclaren Fans then you don't wanna go Monaza, thats Ferrari heartland your gonna be surrounded by the Tifosi (the hardcore ferrari fans) so you might be pretty isolated?

Besides Spa is by far the best circuit on the calender, sit yourself around eau rogue corner and enjoy.
By mugen
Both are without doubt the best tracks for sheer speed,my last visit to Monza was some 10 years ago and Spa probably more where i sat along the Kemmel straight just after Eau Rouge,its a long climb where the cars are flat out, and its one of the few places you can get close to hear the scream of then,V10,s!
Monza is my "numero uno" a fabulous track which is set within parkland and still has the awesome banked track where many drivers were killed,haunting and atmospheric,covered in weeds you used to able to walk along this part,and to see how steep the banking was takes you breath away.
I could suggest another way of looking at it and that is the weather,Spa can be chilly and wet,Monza hot and thundery,but don,t think the Tifosi will pounce if you go to Monza,they are happy people who love Ferrari but above all motor racing,it doesn,t matter what cap you wear,which ever track you decide to go to,it will be an unforgettable experience,and the memories of visiting two of the most famous tracks in the world will live with you always.
By Flux
spa was my first and favourite experience there is nothing as good as 22+ f1 cars thundering through eau rouge, the locals are friendly theirs usually a very good race and theres by far the largest mix of internationals on a race weekend around.

for a ferrari man you absolutely cannot go wrong with monza its a real experience
By AK-86
I have not been to either but both look very enjoyable weekends and the tracks at Spa and Monza are great.
Hi Thanks for all your replies.
I really like the idea of going to Monza and being amongst the Ferrari fans, hopefully they will be welcoming.............as we have not seen or heard anything other than good natured banter at Valencia and the Hungaroring. In fact at Valencia last year we were amongst a number of Alonso male supporters all dressed as women....it sounds mad but they were good fun. They were not backwards in letting there feelings be known about Hamilton though...but it was all good natured. I also agree Spa sound good, they are both excellent venues, does anyone have experiences about how easy it is to attend the venues as from memory I seem to remember some comments about Spa being in the middle of nowhere?
thanks
i must admit i would love to go to monza or spa myself, like others have said, monza is full of ferrari fans, (im sure they'll be alright, not like at football games, but spa is also a great track, so its down to personal preference) :)
By tcs17_tim
Strangely I was also at Hungaroring with 2 work colleagues and my plans for 2011 also include both Spa and Monza. My research so far on t'internet indicates that Monza wil be easier to get to by public transport and Easyjet to Milan means it shouldnt be too expensive to get there. Not sure about hotels though.....

As per original message I am interested in feedback on public transport/hotels etc from those that have been to either track before.
By Flux
Strangely I was also at Hungaroring with 2 work colleagues and my plans for 2011 also include both Spa and Monza. My research so far on t'internet indicates that Monza wil be easier to get to by public transport and Easyjet to Milan means it shouldnt be too expensive to get there. Not sure about hotels though.....

As per original message I am interested in feedback on public transport/hotels etc from those that have been to either track before.

if you book it early enough eurostar to brussells really isnt any harder or more expensive. but yeh from brussells to spa isnt to bad if my memory servers me right there are public and bookable coaches for travelers / people who live their ect . i went by car so well not certain but i cant imagen its changed in 2 years
Hi, I went to Monza this year, my first GP in over 10 years. It falls on my birthday weekend, so I arranged a trip with my brother and best fiend. We had such a fantastic time that the first thing we did on our return was look into booking it all up again for next year. Here is the breakdown of our trip which worked out fantasticially and will be doing exactly the same next year!!

Flights: Return flights from London Heathrow to Milan Malpensa with Alitalia - £100 per person

Race Tickets:
90E 3 day general admission tickets

Hotel: We stayed in a 4* hotel on the red metro line 6 stops from the center of town, paying only £110 each for a triple room, 4 night stay with breakfast included (message me for any more info on the hotel)

Getting to the Track: From our hotel we took the metro into Garibaldi and then changed to the overground train to Monza - 3 stops - total time of around 40 mins. From Monza there are free shuttle busses to take you to the track however due to the traffic on the roads we opted to get a taxi which took us the back route and got us there much quicker at a cost of 15e - well worh it!!

At the track: On the Friday all of the stands or tribunes are open to everyone - we watched the first practice session from the grandstand opposite the pit straight to really get a feel for the full speed of the cars. We then spent the whole of the rest of the day wandering about the track to find the best place to go for the race day, as we only had general admission tickets. We soon stumbled upon the Ascari corner - next to the grandstand there was a free standing area - a smaller contructed tiered stand which was available to general admission ticket holders - and these were dotted all over the track edges - giving some fantastic views!!

We spent the whole of Sat and the race on Sun at the same stand and found it to be one of the best areas of the track - we timed over 8 seconds of viewing for the f1 cars as they approached hard on the brakes, took the series of corners and then accelerated off down the following straight again. We had a fantastic view of the race and also the benefit of a large TV screen directly in front of us. We are also all McLaren fans and were cheering for Jenson and Lewis at every oppertunity! Whilst surrounded by a see of red, we encountered nothing but friendly banter at all times and the atmosphere was truly amazing!!

After the race had ended, all of the gates at the track side were opened up and we were welcomed onto the track! This was an amazing experience and we ended up walking the remaining part of the track round to the pit straight.

On the whole it was a fantastic trip and the race and atmosphere was amazing - Although not the desired result going to Monza and seeing a Ferrari win, did seem appropriate in many ways. The weather was amazing 24-26 degrees over the 3 days, shorts and t-shirts weather! We met a number of people who had been at Spa 2 weeks before where it did nothing but rain and they were unable to get anywhere near the track as it was too muddy! We found Monza to be a lovely town full of friendly and inviting people and at the track there was a not stop party atmosphere where everyone was more than welcoming.

If anyone is interested here are my pics from the trip,

Simon

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... fb8cc0f695
Hi

2 is not enough, no! Uh oh - more horny than chri[…]

See our F1 related articles too!