Advice for Silverstone

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
drummermandan02
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Jun 08, 14:00

Advice for Silverstone

Post by drummermandan02 »

Hi.

This will be my first F1 race, and I cant wait to see it! Going to be so different from staring at a tv screen!

But as a first timer I am looking for some advice. I am coming fron Northampton (so only up the road). What time would you suggest leaving on the Fri, Sat and Sun (it takes around 45 mins on a good day to get to Silverstone from mine). On Fri and Sat I am hoping to park at the circuit, but Sunday I have parking in the village. How long should I expect to que to get in and out of the circuit and leave the car park as well?

With the people that have general admission tickets for the weekend, can they sit in the grandstands on the Fri and Sat, or can only the people with grandstand seats access any seats around the circuit? Any advice on places to view the circuit from. In terms of where should I advoid or get there early or I wont have a chance of seeing anything (fri and sat im talking about here)!

If anyone has any other useful advice like what to bring etc, that would be great!

Cheers, Dan :)
User avatar
racechick
Missing Mod
Posts: 23581
Joined: 03 Aug 07, 11:08
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas
Location: Nottinghham UK

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by racechick »

Only granstand tickest can go in grandstands on Fri and sat. People tend to wander about a bit so you should get a good place to view without being ridiculously early. Sunday is different of course. Traffic shouldnt be too bad on fri and sat though i camp so only travel on th fri eve. Have you checked you will be ok to park at the track and whether you need a car parking ticket?
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abe Lincoln


Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abe Lincoln
User avatar
racechick
Missing Mod
Posts: 23581
Joined: 03 Aug 07, 11:08
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas
Location: Nottinghham UK

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by racechick »

Oh take a comfy chair!! radio and earphones and some food, waterprooofs possibley and with any luck suncream 8)
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abe Lincoln


Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abe Lincoln
User avatar
EwanM
Co-Editor
Posts: 11157
Joined: 21 Oct 07, 20:02
Location: Dear Green Place

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by EwanM »

racechick wrote:Oh take a comfy chair!! radio and earphones and some food, waterprooofs possibley and with any luck suncream 8)


Waterproofs are a deff. Rains a coming, on race day.
Forumula One: The World's Greatest Sport
drummermandan02
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Jun 08, 14:00

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by drummermandan02 »

I have a Pit Straight seat so that should be ok!
Does traffic tend to just back up on the A43 or does it also clog on up the back roads?
Cant wait! Hopefully it wont rain, but would make it more exciting if it does rain...
User avatar
EwanM
Co-Editor
Posts: 11157
Joined: 21 Oct 07, 20:02
Location: Dear Green Place

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by EwanM »

drummermandan02 wrote:I have a Pit Straight seat so that should be ok!
Does traffic tend to just back up on the A43 or does it also clog on up the back roads?
Cant wait! Hopefully it wont rain, but would make it more exciting if it does rain...


Dnt think the police will let you in through back roads to be honest, the traffic plan is usually carried out on the A43.
Forumula One: The World's Greatest Sport
User avatar
Deia27
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Apr 08, 08:56
Location: UK

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by Deia27 »

After doing the walk on both tuesday and wednesday last week, it takes 30-40 minutes from Luffield to the far side of the village (up the hill past the pub) if you go via the main entrance and the main road into the village, but it is marginally quicker if you walk it from the exit near the pitstraight bridge, which takes you down farm track and camping fields to the main road across from the main turning to the centre of the village, it just depends where you're sitting, but from what you've said, this second option on Sunday is going to be better for you.
Life is short, but it's the thing you'll do for the longest
drummermandan02
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Jun 08, 14:00

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by drummermandan02 »

If anyone could let me know what time they recon I should set off from home (Northampton, 45 mins on a good day) on all 3 days then that would be great!
Its just I dont know whether to leave really early or if I leave say 2 hours before the action starts or what... Just need some guidance from people that have been before, I dont know what to expect... apart from a lot of people!
User avatar
Hanwombat
Posts: 5322
Joined: 16 Apr 08, 19:05
Favourite Team: Mclaren
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by Hanwombat »

ooo rain on race day :yes:
User avatar
EwanM
Co-Editor
Posts: 11157
Joined: 21 Oct 07, 20:02
Location: Dear Green Place

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by EwanM »

What's the quickest way to the Copse enterance from the actual village,
can you just head up that farm track towards it, without having to go all the way round the main way?

It would be helpful, especially at night...
Forumula One: The World's Greatest Sport
User avatar
racechick
Missing Mod
Posts: 23581
Joined: 03 Aug 07, 11:08
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas
Location: Nottinghham UK

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by racechick »

EwmanM wrote:What's the quickest way to the Copse enterance from the actual village,
can you just head up that farm track towards it, without having to go all the way round the main way?

It would be helpful, especially at night...

Theres loads of quick ways round the track at night, but you need a torch. You used to have to get over fences (to get from copse entrance to main entrance and the fair marquees etc) but so many people do it theres a gate or a stile or something there now. If you mean Silverstone village and the pub you can get from copse entrance through windmill campsite and to the village in 10 /15 mins. Again torches needed.
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abe Lincoln


Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abe Lincoln
User avatar
EwanM
Co-Editor
Posts: 11157
Joined: 21 Oct 07, 20:02
Location: Dear Green Place

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by EwanM »

racechick wrote:
EwmanM wrote:What's the quickest way to the Copse enterance from the actual village,
can you just head up that farm track towards it, without having to go all the way round the main way?

It would be helpful, especially at night...

Theres loads of quick ways round the track at night, but you need a torch. You used to have to get over fences (to get from copse entrance to main entrance and the fair marquees etc) but so many people do it theres a gate or a stile or something there now. If you mean Silverstone village and the pub you can get from copse entrance through windmill campsite and to the village in 10 /15 mins. Again torches needed.


Thanks, I think these are the usual way I go during the day. Was just at night I tended to use the main roads coming bk from funfair and wt not...
May get attacked by a badger or some person... so torch needed :P
Forumula One: The World's Greatest Sport
drummermandan02
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Jun 08, 14:00

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by drummermandan02 »

Sorry guys, but has anyone got a clue of how long I should leave on the fri, sat and sunday mornings to ensure I get in on time (from home - npton to Silverstone, obviously taking traffic into account)?

And if anyone knows what times the BMW Pit Lane Park shows are at would be great!
User avatar
EwanM
Co-Editor
Posts: 11157
Joined: 21 Oct 07, 20:02
Location: Dear Green Place

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by EwanM »

drummermandan02 wrote:Sorry guys, but has anyone got a clue of how long I should leave on the fri, sat and sunday mornings to ensure I get in on time (from home - npton to Silverstone, obviously taking traffic into account)?

And if anyone knows what times the BMW Pit Lane Park shows are at would be great!


BMW pit lane park not at silverstone this year, they went to Manchester this year.

As for times, it depends when you want to get to the circuit. Certainly ur looking at 6am on Sunday at latest?
Forumula One: The World's Greatest Sport
drummermandan02
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Jun 08, 14:00

Re: Advice for Silverstone

Post by drummermandan02 »

On the Silverstone map it says the BMW Park is next to Becketts.

Code: Select all

 http://www.silverstone.co.uk/pdf/2945_gp_mapmay07_1_a2b4.pdf 


Say I would want to be in the circuit at 8am all 3 days?