I am Spanish/Italian and I support Fernando Alonso
5%
I am Spanish/Italian and I support another spanish/italian driver
No votes
0%
I am Spanish/Italian and I support a non-spanish/italian driver
No votes
0%
I am none of the nationalities above, but I support a driver that is from my country/ a neighbouring country/ a country I have a connection with
7%
I am none of the nationalities above, and I support a driver from a country that I have no connection with
41%
I don't support any particular driver
16%
Or it could mean that's it's 100% guaranteed since the one person responding from Russia chose Petrov as shown by the one vote result. :D

That's why there wasn't a "I'm russian, and my fav driver is..." option. hehe
So the russians in this forum get lumped together with everyone else.
It was a little confusing especially when the poll options changed after I voted!!!

For me; I support three drivers; Button, Webber & Kobayashi... what does that say about my preferences?

:confused: I never changed the poll options... :confused:

Maybe I was wrong but I seem to remember the options being "English and I support Jenson Button"; Either way it doesn't matter; it would have been better to have people post something like "I'm <nationality> and I support the following drivers; <drivers>." The poll doesn't prove anything as there are not enough options to answer the question you posed.
It was a little confusing especially when the poll options changed after I voted!!!

For me; I support three drivers; Button, Webber & Kobayashi... what does that say about my preferences?

:confused: I never changed the poll options... :confused:

Maybe I was wrong but I seem to remember the options being "English and I support Jenson Button"; Either way it doesn't matter; it would have been better to have people post something like "I'm <nationality> and I support the following drivers; <drivers>." The poll doesn't prove anything as there are not enough options to answer the question you posed.

Could have done so, but didn't want to have to do the math. :P

Plus people on here would soon get sidetracked into some pro/anti-Lewis debate rather than answering the question!!
Or maybe three options:

1. I support a driver that is the same nationality as me.
    2. I support a driver that is a different nationality as me.
    3. I just enjoy the racing and don't support any specific driver.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? :hehe:

Now there's a poll Idea... how many people love, hate, indifferent, Lewis.

That poll happens in just about every thread on this forum doesn't it?
Or maybe three options:

Ah, but that wasn't the question I wanted to answer. I wanted to see if the impact varies from one nationality to another...
Or maybe three options:

:rofl:

Not to mention anyone who says indifferent will be branded with LIRE on their forehead.
Ah, but that wasn't the question I wanted to answer. I wanted to see if the impact varies from one nationality to another...

Ah, I see; that's a very tricky question to answer with a poll. In the UK; most people support Lewis Hamilton because of the success he has had and most of those fans were not F1 fans before the 2007 season; I am fiercely nationalist when it comes to team sports, I support England, full stop! But F1 is different for me; I enjoy the racing first and foremost; but I have my favourite drivers; an Englishman, an Australian and a Japanese... sorta sound like one of those Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman jokes doesn't it?
Or maybe three options:

Yes but it's not official until you click the button.
OhMyGod.jpg

Daym poles!! Hey I'm only 4 months old but spell better than texasmr2!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:yes:
I think you pre-judiced people into thinking about their answer before they got a chance to answer (not your fault, they would have guessed it by themsleves anyway), but the main question of the thread is to be answered by the poll, as a conclusion... but it shouldnt be the question asked to the polled population.

From the results, one can clearly see that British/Irish are 5 times more likely to prefer a driver of their same nationality than people from other nationalities. That doesnt mean they support a driver based on his nationality. Just that nationality DOES impact who british/irish support, more than in other nationalities.

Or it could mean that's it's 100% guaranteed since the one person responding from Russia chose Petrov as shown by the one vote result. :D

You can't conclude anything from this poll because the voting universe is skewed. First of all, half the people who voted are British/Irish, and they're the only national group separated from everyone else (nobody in the Spanish/Italian group voted). And it's funny that the one "I am none of the nationalities above, but I support a driver that is from my country/ a neighbouring country/ a country I have a connection with" vote is from me, when usually Portuguese people want Spanish people to fail :D. And there's another thing: you aren't taking into account that some groups will be forced to go for "I am none of the nationalities above, and I support a driver from a country that I have no connection with", because there are no drivers from their countries to root for - the most obvious example being USA. 10 poll options aren't enough to get all groups, but you could get most of them:
- British drivers (get UK and Ireland)
- Spanish / Italian drivers (Spain, Italy, and you could probably fit most of Latin America there as they all speak Spanish and may relate to Spanish drivers; I'm not sure, if we have some Mexican/Argentine folks on the board, they could answer this)
- German drivers + Buemi and Klien (Central Europe; if we stretch a bit we could include Kubica or even Heikki/Petrov in this group, and all of Eastern Europe representative)
- Brazilian drivers (Brazil and Portugal)

This covers up everything bar Australia, Japan (group South Korea and maybe China?) and India (I'd guess the whole Malaysia zone is kinda similar to them, though I don't really know, everything west to Pakistan is just too arab). With a different formulation, I guess such poll could possibly answer your question :)

See our F1 related articles too!