I am Spanish/Italian and I support Fernando Alonso
5%
I am Spanish/Italian and I support another spanish/italian driver
No votes
0%
I am Spanish/Italian and I support a non-spanish/italian driver
No votes
0%
I am none of the nationalities above, but I support a driver that is from my country/ a neighbouring country/ a country I have a connection with
7%
I am none of the nationalities above, and I support a driver from a country that I have no connection with
41%
I don't support any particular driver
16%
So did you go for 'I don't support any particular driver'? I was tempted and perhaps should have, but really i'm sure everyone has a few drivers they like. Raikkonen is the one guy i support above the others though.

Yeah I went for that, thought about it, and I'd list too many along with having faults for those same drivers, thought that option was the best fit.
The first option fits you. Maybe I should have explained better at the start - I wasn't asking people to only answer if they thought nationality was a factor in their choice. I was hoping the results would tell the story by themselves. I can see that this misunderstanding has skewed the results a little. Which is a bit of a shame.

The first option fits me yes, but your title implies that my support for Lewis is because of my nationality......and it isnt.
It was a little confusing especially when the poll options changed after I voted!!!

For me; I support three drivers; Button, Webber & Kobayashi... what does that say about my preferences?
It was a little confusing especially when the poll options changed after I voted!!!

For me; I support three drivers; Button, Webber & Kobayashi... what does that say about my preferences?

You're :confused: ?

:hehe:

:confused: I never changed the poll options... :confused:
So the poll says nationality does not necessarily impact who you support which goes against some of the conventional wisdom in the discussions preceding the poll.
So the poll says nationality does not necessarily impact who you support which goes against some of the conventional wisdom in the discussions preceding the poll.

:yes:

I quite like this style of poll, for the next one can we have how much/fanatical do you support your preferred driver/team?

I quite like this style of poll, for the next one can we have how much/fanatical do you support your preferred driver/team?

It also says: British/Irish are more likely to prefer a british/irish driver. (From the 9 British/Irish voters, 8 support a british/irish driver).

While other nationalities have very little nationalitstic preference towards their prefered drivers. (only 1 vote mentioning they suppport a driver related to their nationality).

Some margin of error due to some people probably misunderstanding the poll/question??
I don't think margin of error, I think lack of choice (because of poll limitation) It doesn't ask if you're German/Austrian and support a German/Austrian driver. Or it doesn't take into account that you may be British and support a British driver but that his nationality happens to be the same as yours.

I think what was being asked (masked by the nationality debate) is what traits/qualities influence you most of the drivers you support.
I don't think margin of error, I think lack of choice (because of poll limitation) It doesn't ask if you're German/Austrian and support a German/Austrian driver. Or it doesn't take into account that you may be British and support a British driver but that his nationality happens to be the same as yours.

I think what was being asked (masked by the nationality debate) is what traits/qualities influence you most of the drivers you support.

hmmm i mean, the question asks "Does nationality impact who you support". But the poll choices do not answer this question... so there is the bit of ambiguity in the question/poll and hence the misinterpretations.

Being German/Austrian would fall into "none of the nationalities above, and support a driver..."
So, its accounted for. In fact, the poll shows that there is roughly 50% British/Irish in this forum vs 50% of other nationalities... give or take a little.

Most of us CHOSE to debate what factors do influence who one supports, but that was not the answer to the question. That was just to expand a bit...

I had all these options in the original version of the poll, but the forum software only allows 10 options... :(

We can't take any conclusions from the poll because people misunderstood the question. I was merely asking for a factual answer - nationality and main driver supported, in the hope that the results would allow us to come to a conclusion around the degree to which nationality impacts who we support. I deliberately didn't ask the question "do you support the driver you do because of their nationality" because I don't think people are necessarily self-aware enough to be able to determine why they like certain things. If asked I would say that I support Jenson Button because I really like him as a person, but that doesn't mean that, at some level, nationality doesn't plays a role.

So, as I said before, I should have been clearer about the poll from the beginning - my bad. As it is, the results have been skewed by people deciding not to vote because they thought the title didn't apply to them, so they're not representative, I'm afraid... :)

I had all these options in the original version of the poll, but the forum software only allows 10 options... :(

We can't take any conclusions from the poll because people misunderstood the question. I was merely asking for a factual answer - nationality and main driver supported, in the hope that the results would allow us to come to a conclusion around the degree to which nationality impacts who we support. I deliberately didn't ask the question "do you support the driver you do because of their nationality" because I don't think people are necessarily self-aware enough to be able to determine why they like certain things. If asked I would say that I support Jenson Button because I really like him as a person, but that doesn't mean that, at some level, nationality doesn't plays a role.

So, as I said before, I should have been clearer about the poll from the beginning - my bad. As it is, the results have been skewed by people deciding not to vote because they thought the title didn't apply to them, so they're not representative, I'm afraid... :)

Too bad, I've already made up my mind. :tongue:
I think you pre-judiced people into thinking about their answer before they got a chance to answer (not your fault, they would have guessed it by themsleves anyway), but the main question of the thread is to be answered by the poll, as a conclusion... but it shouldnt be the question asked to the polled population.

From the results, one can clearly see that British/Irish are 5 times more likely to prefer a driver of their same nationality than people from other nationalities. That doesnt mean they support a driver based on his nationality. Just that nationality DOES impact who british/irish support, more than in other nationalities.
I think you pre-judiced people into thinking about their answer before they got a chance to answer (not your fault, they would have guessed it by themsleves anyway), but the main question of the thread is to be answered by the poll, as a conclusion... but it shouldnt be the question asked to the polled population.

From the results, one can clearly see that British/Irish are 5 times more likely to prefer a driver of their same nationality than people from other nationalities. That doesnt mean they support a driver based on his nationality. Just that nationality DOES impact who british/irish support, more than in other nationalities.

Does that mean that our Russian forum members are also 5 times more likely to support Vitaly Petrov?
Does that mean that our Russian forum members are also 5 times more likely to support Vitaly Petrov?

Nope. What the poll does suggest is that Russian fans (in this forum) would be 5x less likely to support Vitaly Petrov than British/Irish fans supporting a british/irish driver.

See our F1 related articles too!