Old Hockenheim vs New?

Old
90%
New
6%
Both are rubbish
3%
By vindicator86
Just curious to peoples opinion on this. Personally I prefered the old layout. While it may not have been a pure driving track like spa, suzuka etc, it was different and offered different challenges like breaking from 220 mph and negotiating the stadium section with little wing. Much easier on the eye too, shame they tore it up :( .
By f1ea
Old.
Definitely.

The old one may not have given the most amazing/interesting racing ever... but it had flow, originality. A sense of spontaniety...
The new one is more like a kart track.
Simply because of it being different and the drive into the woods was magical. I don't *mind* the new one though.
By MattMK45
Simply because of it being different and the drive into the woods was magical. I don't *mind* the new one though.

I found that a nice touch to the track as well, a bit like the mulsanne straight at Le Mans. In fact the old track is very much similar to the circuit de la sarthe. I guess the newer track is better in a way because we are more likely to see some more overtaking.
Old Hockenheim by a country mile; quite literally; those long straights through the forest were awesome!
By Fodda
Yep, old version. Brundle didn't like it though, he thought it was more a race of attrition and in a way it was. But if your engine was weak at high revs, then tough. The circuit was part of the season and needed to be taken into account during design phase. As has been said above, the stupid high speeds in the forest with little to no wing made the twisty section much more interesting.
By racechick
Old. No contest.
This is not an easy poll, I have to say. (it's a very interesting one, though)

The old layout was definitely more elegant, but the races there did get very boring sometimes.
And you can understand why; 4 long straights divided by 3 chicanes and a slow section (the best part of track, no doubt) at the end.
Cars equipped with a good engine were the only ones who could do well in the old layout.
And unless there was a car stuck behind a much slower one, overtaking was nearly impossible. Only the rain could help.
Also, if the faster cars were in front, the race could become quite boring.

The new layout is definitely less elegant, but is more fighty.
Good overtaking has been seen there, to be honest. Not too much this year, probably for the incredibly high downforce levels.
But I remember good fights starting at the hairpin and lasting for 3-4 corners. One in particular, I think Montoya was one of the two drivers, in which the two drivers were wheel to wheel for quite a long time (for modern standards, that is)

So, I guess I have to give the edge to the new layout.
Easy question to answer.
I like a variety of track layouts and the old layout was certainly one of a kind on the F1 calendar. The new one is merely a piece of it.
By Juliet P
New, on the sole basis that it has less of a tendency to kill race drivers.
By 7UpJordan
Old.

What Herman Tilke did is practically on the same level of murder and butchering.

See our F1 related articles too!