FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

New teams, customer cars, 3-cars per team ??

New teams from scratch are ok
45%
New teams with elimination Q (15% or so off the pace, can't race on sunday)
18%
Customer teams
9%
3-car teams
18%
Something else...
9%
Ferrari has called on Formula 1's bosses to take urgent action to prevent the sport being damaged by the fall out from the worldwide financial crisis.

With several countries facing debt problems, and the future of the Eurozone being questioned, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo reckons that there must be no delay in F1 moving to reduce costs.

"The world economic situation, and that of Europe in particular, is very serious and the world of Formula 1 cannot ignore the fact," di Montezemolo told the official Ferrari website.

"We cannot lose any more time: we need to tackle urgently and with determination the question of costs. Ferrari is in agreement with the FIA's position that drastic intervention is required. We are absolutely convinced that, as I have always said, the teams and the commercial rights holder must work together with the Federation on this front.

"This is no longer the moment for getting bogged down in sterile discussions or the meanderings of engineers, usually only concerned in defending the interests of someone or other: the question has to be tackled at the highest level, without further delay."

The FIA met with teams after the Monaco Grand Prix to discuss ways to control costs in F1, with much focus being put on how much more expensive the implementation of new car and engine regulations for 2014 will be.

Reading between the lines a bit... this is about 3 car teams or customer cars again. (didn't feel this warranted an entire new thread)
I'm ok with new teams entering F1 as long as they become competitive. I think that there should be an agreement with new teams that they have to be up to a certain level of competitveness within a certain number of season or they are out. However, someone is going to have to be last but at least they might be able to compete rather than make up the numbers.
I'm ok with new teams entering F1 as long as they become competitive. I think that there should be an agreement with new teams that they have to be up to a certain level of competitveness within a certain number of season or they are out. However, someone is going to have to be last but at least they might be able to compete rather than make up the numbers.

Do you not think think though that competitiveness is linked to budget...?

If they brought in budgets, that suited all, surely that would help towards competitiveness?
LOL, reading the link in the OP I was wondering what was Heikki doing in a Lotus, Chandhok in anything and Button in 2nd place. Then I looked at the date.

Could it also be that he doesn't want turbos?

Do you not think think though that competitiveness is linked to budget...?

If they brought in budgets, that suited all, surely that would help towards competitiveness?

F1 is an expensive sport and new teams should surely budget for that. I wouldn't expect a new team to spend as much as Ferrari, McLaren or Red Bull but they should have enough funding to be able to move forward.

I am totally against budget caps but there is some sense in the concept.
LOL, reading the link in the OP I was wondering what was Heikki doing in a Lotus, Chandhok in anything and Button in 2nd place. Then I looked at the date.

Could it also be that he doesn't want turbos?

Hehe yea this is old

Anyway... I agree with the idea of budget caps. And do not mind turbos; actually, i prefer engine freedom. If a team wants V10 let em. If a team wants I4 turbos, let them.

This is easier said than done. :shock:
With a budget cap people like Sauber, Williams, and Lotus are going to do well as they are used to operating at competative level with limited recouses. Ferrari and Mclaren I think would struggle.
With a budget cap people like Sauber, Williams, and Lotus are going to do well as they are used to operating at competative level with limited recouses. Ferrari and Mclaren I think would struggle.

Really? Even with all their experience and personnel?
ESPNF1; Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has urged Formula One to hurry through cost cutting measures in light of the worsening economic situation in Europe.

F1 teams met after the Monaco Grand Prix to discuss the possibility of cost control coming under the jurisdiction of the FIA as well as various other issues relating to budgets. F1 teams are currently bound by the Resource Restriction Agreement, but conflicts over how that should be moved forward led to Red Bull and Ferrari leaving the Formula One Teams' Association last year.

Outwardly all the teams favour some sort of cost reduction, but Montezemolo has called for action to be taken sooner rather than later.

"The world economic situation and that of Europe in particular, is very serious and the world of Formula One cannot ignore the fact," he told www.ferrarif1.com. "We cannot lose any more time: we need to tackle urgently and with determination the question of costs. Ferrari is in agreement with the FIA's position that drastic intervention is required.

"We are absolutely convinced that, as I have always said, the teams and the commercial rights holder must work together with the Federation on this front. This is no longer the moment for getting bogged down in sterile discussions or the meanderings of engineers, usually only concerned in defending the interests of someone or other: the question has to be tackled at the highest level, without further delay."

Speaking about the Monaco meeting, McLaren's managing director said F1 teams are now on the "cusp" of changing the regulations but that the teams still had to fully agree on the way forward.

"I wasn't at the meeting, but it's true that the teams are trying hard to ensure the sustainability and the good health of Formula One going forwards," he said. "This isn't just for the teams but also for the fans and the engine manufacturers. The progress that's been made over the last few years for agreements such as the Resource Restriction Agreement have gone a long way towards achieving this. It's right that we stand on the cusp of changing the regulations. It's continually under review and it's right we're in health for the next five years. So there are broad discussions going on at the moment but everything still has to go through the proper channels and be agreed by all the teams. I can't comment more than that."

Anything Ferrari "calls" for is for the good of Ferrari.

Really? Even with all their experience and personnel?

In theory, personnel would be cut at the big teams when a cap gets implemented...
Koby said recently that Sauber have been luck this year because they have always chosen the development route that works.

For big teams I would imagine they have a few developments doing at the same time and only one will work. Smaller teams have had to guess at what will work and what will not. with a budget cap big teams might end up going the wrong way with it and ending up in a world of trouble.

it is like people can live on £32 quid a week according to the goverment, I have a few mates that do quite happily. If I suddenly had to do the same I would not know what hit me.

See our F1 related articles too!