FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

New teams, customer cars, 3-cars per team ??

New teams from scratch are ok
45%
New teams with elimination Q (15% or so off the pace, can't race on sunday)
18%
Customer teams
9%
3-car teams
18%
Something else...
9%
Luca di Monty has slammed the slower teams causing Fernando to lose positions at Canada GP
http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport ... 20632.html

As a result, he's again slamming the existence of super slow cars on the grid and saying they do not belong in F1, but rather GP2. I agree... not because they dont belong in F1, but because F1 is a sport of 1/100 s and a car thats 3-4 secs slower than others is going to cause, as it already has... problems. Right now its been only minor, soon it may be a big time crash.

Seriously, having a car not been able to get a pit stop right is not a sight for F1. Bringing out a car KNOWING it wont finish the race... is not for F1.

Regadless of the result in Canada, or what Luca thinks... Would you prefer:
I see no problem the way things are now. If you legitimately want to speed up the back markers (new teams) allow a team that is wholly new, to have additional test dates for the first two years in F1.
I see no problem the way things are now. If you legitimately want to speed up the back markers (new teams) allow a team that is wholly new, to have additional test dates for the first two years in F1.

Definitely welcome more testing for the new teams, BUT there's no guarantee that they'll be faster just by testing.

No doubt they will improve the little things, like pit stops and maybe reliability... but overall pace is not really determined by testing. It could even ram up their costs, while the car may already be fast or slow in the wind tunnel.

I like new teams from scratch (or purchased), but with a disqualification from Q if they fail a reasonable pace. New teams from scratch should involve a PRE evaluation/approval (facilities, funding, etc) and then additional testing. All this should be done on the season PRIOR to the season they intend to enter: 1st half the pre evaluation, 2nd half testing.

Say... USF1, Virgin, Lotus and HRT should have been testing already in the second half of 2009. In this time they are already getting some showtime to attract sponsors, lets say at a couple of GPs... while getting info about their cars. Unless its a direct purchase... this can be treated as an existing team with simply a change in management, name or personnel....

in my opinion, the new teams should have entered next yr.
F1 has always had slower teams, Monty is just letting his emotions get in the way of logic as usual (Italian trait :twisted:) even Ferrari was a new team at one point.

3 cars per team is only brought up by him so he can have Rossi, what benefit would it bring to the rest of the established teams other than costing more to run?
F1 has always had slower teams, Monty is just letting his emotions get in the way of logic as usual (Italian trait :twisted:) even Ferrari was a new team at one point.

3 cars per team is only brought up by him so he can have Rossi, what benefit would it bring to the rest of the established teams other than costing more to run?

Yeah, but when was the last time the top 10 were separated by less than a sec? Top 5 within half a sec.... its just too close now to have such slow teams.

3 cars is a WDC/WCC nightmare. the whole pts system would need some tweaking... and in the end only a few teams could get a 3rd car running. Maybe Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari and Mclaren. What for?
The slower cars did hold Alonso up,although I can't really see a solution, we need new teams - although perhaps aiming for 4 in one season was too much, and how many new teams are going have half decent pace? Is that pool there?
So because Alonso got held up it's time to do something? :rolleyes:

It should've been looked at when the fia were considering new teams, although I suppose making the blue flag rules more stringent for teams who are lapping particularly slowly might help, although I can't see that being implemented well.
Why the hell can he just shut the f*ck up... he only complains when it suits him; if Red Bull or McLaren were the teams being held up, he'd say nothing or praise the inclusion of new teams. It's the same for all the teams; get over it and go racing, do your talking on the track instead of bitching at the new teams inclusion!!!

And these new teams aren't as slow as some of the backmarkers of the past; the yellow mobile chicanes that were Forti spring to mind. I believe the new teams now are closer to the fast teams than the slower teams of old, Montezemolo needs to mind his own team issues and stop complaining!

It should've been looked at when the fia were considering new teams, although I suppose making the blue flag rules more stringent for teams who are lapping particularly slowly might help, although I can't see that being implemented well.

it should have been looked at that its possible the slower teams might hold up a Ferrari??

end of the day theres always going to be lapped cars, always has, always will be. I think some fans and Luca need to build a bridge and get over it.

Why the hell can he just shut the f*ck up... he only complains when it suits him; if Red Bull or McLaren were the teams being held up, he'd say nothing or praise the inclusion of new teams. It's the same for all the teams; get over it and go racing, do your talking on the track instead of bitching at the new teams inclusion!!!

And these new teams aren't as slow as some of the backmarkers of the past; the yellow mobile chicanes that were Forti spring to mind. I believe the new teams now are closer to the fast teams than the slower teams of old, Montezemolo needs to mind his own team issues and stop complaining!

:clap::clap:

Ahem, read above:
Regadless of the result in Canada, or what Luca thinks...

I personally... don't like the way the new teams were introduced. They could have been introduced by stages, so that by the time the 1st race goes, they have at least a car and a couple of tests.

Doesnt matter who got held up by who. I think its embarrassing that most of the new teams cant even finish a race. I dont want to se that. Specially if they had no idea how to design their fuel tanks, because they didnt have or didnt know how the car consumes or how it behaves with tires. You cant mimic tire wear in the wind tunnel.

See our F1 related articles too!