24%
Driver 60/40%
8%
Car 60/40%
16%
Driver & Car 50/50
13%
Some drivers are faster than others.
Some drivers' mothers are faster than other drivers' mothers. :)

[youtube]zH18_dZIYOE[/youtube]
I am just saying that the difference a driver can make (I choose Kimi and Luca, because that is the biggest difference in drivers ability that I could think of in the same car)

People are saying that a driver can make 30% of how fast a car is where I have just shown that a driver will make a lot less difference than that. If a driver could make almost 1/3 of a cars speed. that would mean that if Luca was 30% slower than Kimi his Q time would of been, 2:08.486 which it was not.

Well that's not what I'm saying at all. When I look at the percentages, I'm looking at say a Mercedes, and a William. If you take the extremes, in your case Kimi and Badoer... or in the car's instance, an HRT and a Red Bull you're going to skew the results. There are a lot of other factors contributing to Kimi's and Luca's time delta.

This past weekend the Mercedes got a 1.23.777 in their best Q and Williams got a 1.24.648 so roughly .87 sec. Now the difference between Maldonado and Barrichello was .078 seconds. Which does fall in line with that 90/10 reasoning. However what I'm seeking is what time would Alonso, or Vettel or Hamilton have driven that same Williams to, conversely what time would they have driven that Mercedes to. If the answer is even an extra tenth of a second better, then that gets it much close to an 80/20 or what if it's two tenths better?
I think it depends if we are talking about F1 drivers or normal road users?!?! I assume we are talking F1 drivers.

The only way I can think is to compare 2 F1 drivers, one who is good and one that is bad (by F1 standards) so 2009 European Grand Prix.

Qualifying

Kimi - 1:38.843
Badoer - 1:41.413

That means Badoers time was 3% slower than Kimi. I know that this is not a complely fair comparisson, but it shows that 70/30 ratios are well off spectrum. I would say (if we are going for multiples of 5)

95% car to 5% driver

But you're comparing the difference in Q time to the WHOLE lap, which is not accurate. The data needs to be "normalized" against some kind of baseline before you make comparisons like that.

In other words, it's not possible for the fastest car with the fastest driver to get a 0:00.0 lap time.

:yes:
I am just saying that the difference a driver can make (I choose Kimi and Luca, because that is the biggest difference in drivers ability that I could think of in the same car)

People are saying that a driver can make 30% of how fast a car is where I have just shown that a driver will make a lot less difference than that. If a driver could make almost 1/3 of a cars speed. that would mean that if Luca was 30% slower than Kimi his Q time would of been, 2:08.486 which it was not.

And if you compared two talented drivers then it would be closer to the 1% I stated. I agree with you 100% not 70/30
:hehe:
.. but Kimi had been driving the same car for a whole season, plus the preseason, plus th eyr before. Badoer just jumped to it...

To see if it matters, look at Fisi, one race he was challenging Kimi in a Force India! then the next race... in the same car as Kimi... trailing him miserably.
Resurrecting an old thread just for the hell of it. The consensus has been it's the car silly. Let's see if that consensus stands up still.
If all drivers are equaly no cars are fall consistently outside the 107% rule that means it must be at least 95% car.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
With Lewis its 90% driver 10% car
With Alonso its 50% driver 30% teammate help 20% car
With Seb its 10% driver 9% teammate 80% car
With Button its 1% driver 45% Motel with Whitmarsh 44% car

Edit: this post is meant in humour. There is no factual evidence that the numbers stated above are true. This is a filthy disgusting joke. :director:
Last edited by CookinFlat6 on 04 Sep 13, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
I think when you're talking about your favourite driver then he makes up 90% of the speed but when talking of a driver you dislike then it's all car.

:clap: No truer words have been spoken!! :clap: Confirmed by some of the posts already!! :clap:

Personally, from the very little I've been able to learn from following F1 these past few years,
the car and the driver are NOT the only components to winning! This is how I see it:

p.s. I couldn't vote because there isn't a "none of the above" option!! :D
Ooh bringing the team into it. I just assumed the question was about raw speed over a single lap. However for a race distance the team comes into it a lot more

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

See our F1 related articles too!