FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Do you agree with the new points system for 2009?

Yes
39%
No
61%
This is an interesting poll that should be revived now that we've got more accustomed to the new points system.

So, as the name of the poll suggests, the points system was changed in 2009 to the following:

1st - 25
2nd - 18
3rd - 15
4th - 12
5th - 10
6th - 8
7th - 6
8th - 4
9th - 2
10th 1

From the 2003, the points were awarded as 10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1 from 1st to 8th positions, and for a good few years up to then, it had been 10,6,4,3,2,1.

Now I think there are pros and cons to this new points system. I like the way that the victory is now worth more than simply 2 or 4 points over 2nd place. This theoretically gives racers more of an incentive to chase down 1st spot. Also, teams that aren't fast enough to compete with the top 3 or 4 now get a chance to earn some badly needed points, and therefore have a decent and exciting championship amongst themselves - the mid-field.

However, my only problem is that it screws up the records for the points earned by past teams and drivers when comparing them to the current crop. But then, this particular record-comparison has always been sketchy, due to growing numbers of races in a season amongst others.

So have people warmed to the new points system after nearly seeing out three seasons with it implemented? Or will the new votes reflect what this poll suggested back in '09? VOTE!
Sato is driving in Indy I believe. I have tried to watch a couple of the Indy races and they talk about him like he is great and drove in F1. Despite the fact he was no better than a moving chicane in his last pay drive.
Sato is driving in Indy I believe. I have tried to watch a couple of the Indy races and they talk about him like he is great and drove in F1. Despite the fact he was no better than a moving chicane in his last pay drive.

The points comparison the BAR teammate Jenson Button in '05 say it all:

Jenson Button - 37
Takuma Sato - 1

:rolleyes:

See our F1 related articles too!