Cap team budgets and allow technical freedom
60%
Neither - let it continue as is
No votes
0%
Bernie should pay substantially more to the teams
40%
MM:
"The costs must be contained radically, by limiting the technical possibilities," he said.
"Or perhaps we turn the principle around: allow technical freedom and limit the budgets," the Briton told the German weekly Der Spiegel.
I am torn I would like to see less restrictions but I do not believe a budget cap is feasible.

How would you stop a team developing a part a new technology for there road going cars and then selling that 10 million pound technology to the F1 team for a pound?

more restrictions would no longer mean it is the highest point in motor sport.
Budget caps and technical freedom sounds good in theory. If a practical way could be found to implement it, I'd like to see it happen. I don't see budgets caps and giving more money to the teams as mutually exclusive, though. Ecclestone needs to give more money to the teams as well.
I don't see budgets caps and giving more money to the teams as mutually exclusive, though. Ecclestone needs to give more money to the teams as well.

:yes:

Limiting technical possibilities just makes teams throw insane amounts of money into getting whatever tiny advantage they can find - in what are already technical restrictions pushed right to the limits of legality!
with the budget cap i think thats the better option though i can see problems enforcing it! in particular teams like Redbull who would because they own two teams abuse the cap and beable to spend twice the amount on one car compared to other teams?!
how about having set prices for parts of the cars.

How much time, effort and money does a team put into for example gearbox design. now how about they have to make the same gearbox available to another team for 1 Million a year? I am sure then that teams would not want to spend that much on developing a gearbox anymore! Do I spend 5 million on building my own or do I spend 1 million and someone else can have the hassle?
For me, Formula One is about being the pinnacle of motor sport and about innovation in (motoring) technology. Start limiting what technology teams can develop and F1 starts to lose on both these accounts.

:yes:
Bernie should pay the teams more, he gets far too much money from overcharging struggling tracks as it is. In all honesty I would also at the same time try to cap the budgets, that way all the current teams would survive until the economy starts to pick up again. It's not like Bernie will miss any of the money (well he might miss it).
Budget caps and technical freedom sounds good in theory. If a practical way could be found to implement it, I'd like to see it happen. I don't see budgets caps and giving more money to the teams as mutually exclusive, though. Ecclestone needs to give more money to the teams as well.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I agree 100% with this post.
I do not see why Bernie has such a hold on all the teams. If all the teams turned around and said, Right then lets start up out own championship and call it something other than F1 and all went, Bernie might own F1 but without teams it is worthless.
I do not see why Bernie has such a hold on all the teams. If all the teams turned around and said, Right then lets start up out own championship and call it something other than F1 and all went, Bernie might own F1 but without teams it is worthless.

They're not standing for it any more. FOTA is all about the teams standing up to Bernie's bullying. They can and will walk out after 2012 if Bernie doesn't start to play fair.

They're not standing for it any more. FOTA is all about the teams standing up to Bernie's bullying. They can and will walk out after 2012 if Bernie doesn't start to play fair.

Damn straight! They could call the break away what ever they want it could be Formula poofter for all I care!

See our F1 related articles too!