How is a title won?

Setting aside the premise that a title is decided by the number of points accumulated...

I prefer the season go down to the last race, thus the double points system in place at Abu Dhabi is a brainstorm.
0
No votes
I prefer the season go down to the last race, without the artificial boost of double points.
4
100%
My heart would prefer the title be decided one to two races before the end of the season.
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 4

What's Burning?
Banned
Posts: 21486
Joined: 24 Feb 10, 00:09
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1
Location: PULL IN CASE OF FIRE

Re: How is a title won?

Post by What's Burning? »

sagi58 wrote:
What's Burning? wrote:
sagi58 wrote:What I was wondering is more along the lines of the worthiness of a title won in that last race versus one that is won long before that.


No, not a machination. Have you ever wondered about the worthiness of a loss or a horrible season?


:rofl: You do remember I'm a Ferrari fan, right?
You do remember that Massa was driving a Ferrari,
all those years ago at Interlagos... you know, the
year when he became the shortest-lived WDC??

And, again, your use of that word is insulting.

So a worthy loss of a title then?
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
Hammer278
Banned
Posts: 13126
Joined: 29 Mar 10, 10:05
Favourite Driver: The best in Formula 1.
Favourite Team: BMW DTM
Location: Land of Petronas

Re: How is a title won?

Post by Hammer278 »

This is the most confusing poll thread ever, what is it actually asking? The worthiness of a title or what it takes to win a title? :confused:

Both questions are just so vague anyway, everyone would be offering mere opinions with too much subjectivity involved. Its like asking why do you support your fav team/driver.
Breaking News: Lewis Hamilton has officially overtaken The Fonz in race wins. With 88 races less. Lol (Without a specially built blown diffuser, illegal front wing, preferential treatment)
User avatar
sagi58
Posts: 10203
Joined: 23 Jul 13, 22:05
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!
Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Location: 5 miles North of "X"!

Re: How is a title won?

Post by sagi58 »

What's Burning? wrote:So a worthy loss of a title then?


Only the winner of that season will ever see another driver's loss as being "worthy"!
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!
User avatar
sagi58
Posts: 10203
Joined: 23 Jul 13, 22:05
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!
Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Location: 5 miles North of "X"!

Re: How is a title won?

Post by sagi58 »

Hammer278 wrote:This is the most confusing poll thread ever, what is it actually asking? The worthiness of a title or what it takes to win a title? :confused:

Both questions are just so vague anyway, everyone would be offering mere opinions with too much subjectivity involved. Its like asking why do you support your fav team/driver.

That's right... It is subjective... That's how you open up discussion.
When a poll is black and white, the author already has an expectation as to the result of that poll.
I didn't. I still don't.

By the way, just because a poll is created, I don't believe there are forum rules that state that every one is obliged to participate.
I know I don't.
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!
Hammer278
Banned
Posts: 13126
Joined: 29 Mar 10, 10:05
Favourite Driver: The best in Formula 1.
Favourite Team: BMW DTM
Location: Land of Petronas

Re: How is a title won?

Post by Hammer278 »

sagi58 wrote:
Hammer278 wrote:This is the most confusing poll thread ever, what is it actually asking? The worthiness of a title or what it takes to win a title? :confused:

Both questions are just so vague anyway, everyone would be offering mere opinions with too much subjectivity involved. Its like asking why do you support your fav team/driver.

That's right... It is subjective... That's how you open up discussion.
When a poll is black and white, the author already has an expectation as to the result of that poll.
I didn't. I still don't.

By the way, just because a poll is created, I don't believe there are forum rules that state that every one is obliged to participate.
I know I don't.


Oh...

But you still participate in all threads on here, so I feel obligated to contribute in your threads with my humble feedback....as respect to your efforts in the forum.
Breaking News: Lewis Hamilton has officially overtaken The Fonz in race wins. With 88 races less. Lol (Without a specially built blown diffuser, illegal front wing, preferential treatment)
What's Burning?
Banned
Posts: 21486
Joined: 24 Feb 10, 00:09
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1
Location: PULL IN CASE OF FIRE

Re: How is a title won?

Post by What's Burning? »

Doesn't seem like a lot of people have participated in the poll as much as asked about the questions. you'd think there would have been more actual discussion from someone genuinely looking for other opinions and points of views. In any case, there's been little actual discussion, just a lot incensed feelings at the use of the word machination. :shrug:
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
CookinFlat6
Banned
Posts: 7206
Joined: 21 Apr 12, 21:22
Favourite Driver: Hamiltonian
Favourite Team: HDL
Location: Banned

Re: How is a title won?

Post by CookinFlat6 »

The way i see it is that the desired outcome of the poll/discussion is a conclusion that Lewis' last lap win in 2008 was not worthy. The trick is to work out which poll option leads to this conclusion. I cant work that out so I havent voted. I did post about my own opinions about how and when a tittle is won, but that didnt seem to be of much use to the general agenda.

One thing to add though is that some with less technical knowledge always say that Massa was the WDC for the shortest amount of time in history, yet this is patently ridiculous. The WDC is not settled until the stewards confirm the result. And even if we consider the 'to be confirmed WDC winner' then this can only be defined AFTER the race - i.e after the last driver ON THE SAME LAP as the winner crosses the line.

Otherwise we could say that the driver in the lead after the first lap of the first race is also the WDC of that year for a while :rolleyes:
Image
2014 Monster 26x Bookie Mugger
2015, 2016 WDC: LH44
What's Burning?
Banned
Posts: 21486
Joined: 24 Feb 10, 00:09
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1
Location: PULL IN CASE OF FIRE

Re: How is a title won?

Post by What's Burning? »

So you mean like a virtual maillot jaune in the TDF, I always wondered why they rarely went on to win.
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
CookinFlat6
Banned
Posts: 7206
Joined: 21 Apr 12, 21:22
Favourite Driver: Hamiltonian
Favourite Team: HDL
Location: Banned

Re: How is a title won?

Post by CookinFlat6 »

exactly, except it would be equally ridiculous to elevate the guy who wore it for 1 stage as the 'winner of part of the race', I mean that would be embarrasing for the guy if that was his claim to fame

'Ladies and gentlemen may i present the guy who actually lead a stage of the race and did it without any steriod injections' :violinist: :clap:
Image
2014 Monster 26x Bookie Mugger
2015, 2016 WDC: LH44
What's Burning?
Banned
Posts: 21486
Joined: 24 Feb 10, 00:09
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1
Location: PULL IN CASE OF FIRE

Re: How is a title won?

Post by What's Burning? »

You could also question the worthiness of someone winning a championship only because a rookie had an unfortunate event in the last race. But that wouldn't suit the agenda either.

IMO "worthiness" and the last "race" have absolutely nothing in common as winning and losing can take place at any point before that, or even after that if the stewards get involved. And worthiness is just a matter of POV. So someone trying to mix the two could only be doing that to obfuscate their intent for questioning things in the first place. I mean IMO. :shrug:
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
User avatar
sagi58
Posts: 10203
Joined: 23 Jul 13, 22:05
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!
Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Location: 5 miles North of "X"!

Re: How is a title won?

Post by sagi58 »

Hammer278 wrote:
sagi58 wrote:... just because a poll is created, I don't believe there are forum rules that state that every one is obliged to participate.
I know I don't.


Oh...

But you still participate in all threads on here, so I feel obligated to contribute in your threads with my humble feedback....as respect to your efforts in the forum.

I appreciate your time! Thanks! :wink:
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!
User avatar
sagi58
Posts: 10203
Joined: 23 Jul 13, 22:05
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!
Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Location: 5 miles North of "X"!

Re: How is a title won?

Post by sagi58 »

What's Burning? wrote:Doesn't seem like a lot of people have participated in the poll as much as asked about the questions...

Which I very honestly stated I wasn't sure how to word.
You can only learn by trying.
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!
User avatar
sagi58
Posts: 10203
Joined: 23 Jul 13, 22:05
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!
Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Location: 5 miles North of "X"!

Re: How is a title won?

Post by sagi58 »

CookinFlat6 wrote:The way i see it is that the desired outcome of the poll/discussion is a conclusion that Lewis' last lap win in 2008 was not worthy...

Really? That's what you think? Well, I have to say, that would mean that you're wrong!
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!
User avatar
sagi58
Posts: 10203
Joined: 23 Jul 13, 22:05
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!
Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Location: 5 miles North of "X"!

Re: How is a title won?

Post by sagi58 »

We are in the end of a season where this question is perfectly acceptable to ask.

On the one hand, you have Hamilton who has accumulated more wins than Rosberg,
so one would assume he is the worthy candidate for the WDC.

On the other hand, you have Rosberg, who is still mathematically in the running for
the WDC, if all the stars in the universe are aligned with the star on his car.

Both would consider themselves worthy of the championship, regardless of how; but,
as the poll asks, is winning the title at the last race, as Rosberg can possibly do, just as
valid as winning it based on having been more successful all season long, like Hamilton?
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!
User avatar
myownalias
Mod
Posts: 9445
Joined: 27 May 09, 23:16
Favourite Driver: Jenson Button
Favourite Team: Williams
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: How is a title won?

Post by myownalias »

Worthiness has been called subjective; but the bottom line is that the driver with the most points at the end of the season is worthy of being called champion.

I have heard it hundreds of times on this forum, that JB was not a worthy champion because he wasn't winning every other race after the first six of the season. As it has been pointed out in this thread, worthiness, e.g. most points scored is over the length of the season, not just the last race.

To the poll itself, I would rather see no bells and whistles at the last race and preferably there are still 3 or 4 drivers in the hunt come the last race, a la 2010.
myownaliasThe Englishman in KansasTwitter: @myownalias