Kevin Magnussen
3%
Jules Bianchi
No votes
0%
Other
No votes
0%
The poll title seems to ask for which driver has been the more of a sensation than which ones is outright best on the grid. So if you were considering the one that has performed BETTER relative to expectations then Ricc wins by a mile. If you are talking about outright best driver as measured by race craft, overtakes, speed etc then Lewis wins by a mile. If you are looking at which driver has singlehandedly churned out the points to drag his team out of a terminally embarrasing position in the table then its gotta be El Ponso

But racing is ultimately about speed and the fastest guy on the pit pound for pound is Lewis

So you would have to vote Lewis

i think :hehe:
The poll title seems to ask for which driver has been the more of a sensation than which ones is outright best on the grid. So if you were considering the one that has performed BETTER relative to expectations then Ricc wins by a mile. If you are talking about outright best driver as measured by race craft, overtakes, speed etc then Lewis wins by a mile. If you are looking at which driver has singlehandedly churned out the points to drag his team out of a terminally embarrasing position in the table then its gotta be El Ponso

I agree, minus the part where you said lewis wins by a mile. I'd say more by a few hundred feet :hehe::P His racecraft has been top notch but his qualifying really brings it down for me as he's generally the kinda guy who nails it and this year he just hasn't.
Interesting that nobody has chosen Alonso. If I could have split my vote I would have as both him and Ricciardo have been unbelievably good so far against ex-WDC team mates. But the fact Ricciardo has demolished Vettel just edged it for me. But I am stunned no-one thinks Alonso has been the best!

It is funny actually seeing how many Ferrari fans we have on this board.

If it allowed me to split my vote i'd have given half each. I dont think there is anything to choose. I cant think of one error that either of them have made this season. RB have the slightly better car and Ricciardo has got the 2 wins, but id argue those 2 have been better than both Hamilton and Rosberg

DR was nowhere to be found in Austria, and had a piss poor result compared to Vettel in Germany, so he's had races where he's gone very much backwards.

Alonso has not seen a lick of a challenge from Kimi and has not had a single reliability issue. Like the great philosopher Mike Tyson once said, "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face". No one has even thrown a punch at him this year. I hold Lewis to a higher standard, I even voted for Ricciardo in this poll because of that, but for Lewis and Alonso to be the driver of the year they've got to do more. Alonso hasn't done more than his usual and neither has Hamilton. Greatness comes at a higher cost so I think Ricciardo is getting the benefit of having exceeded everyone's expectations, especially Vettel's. :hehe:
Interesting that nobody has chosen Alonso. If I could have split my vote I would have as both him and Ricciardo have been unbelievably good so far against ex-WDC team mates. But the fact Ricciardo has demolished Vettel just edged it for me. But I am stunned no-one thinks Alonso has been the best!

It is funny actually seeing how many Ferrari fans we have on this board.

If it allowed me to split my vote i'd have given half each. I dont think there is anything to choose. I cant think of one error that either of them have made this season. RB have the slightly better car and Ricciardo has got the 2 wins, but id argue those 2 have been better than both Hamilton and Rosberg

DR was nowhere to be found in Austria, and had a piss poor result compared to Vettel in Germany, so he's had races where he's gone very much backwards.

Alonso has not seen a lick of a challenge from Kimi and has not had a single reliability issue. Like the great philosopher Mike Tyson once said, "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face". No one has even thrown a punch at him this year. I hold Lewis to a higher standard, I even voted for Ricciardo in this poll because of that, but for Lewis and Alonso to be the driver of the year they've got to do more. Alonso hasn't done more than his usual and neither has Hamilton. Greatness comes at a higher cost so I think Ricciardo is getting the benefit of having exceeded everyone's expectations, especially Vettel's. :hehe:

Good assessment I think. Just for discussion's sake, one may have expected me to vote rosberg but I didn't because as you mentioned about these drivers, he hasn't done anything more than his usual. So I guess this all goes to point out that "driver of the year" encompasses so many things. It's not just outright speed or beating your teammate and everybody can have a different idea of what they consider to be the best and what factors into that. Maybe at the end of the year we'll have to pick several categories, like best at passing, most consistent, outright fastest, biggest upset, most flair, etc. maybe?
Just a heads up guys, I'm about to start in on this red stag, so in about two hours there is an off chance I will come in and completely destroy this thread.

FAIR WARNING TO YOU ALL:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh, I will also be listening to south african hip hop like this.....so s*** might get real.

https://soundcloud.com/die-antwoord-fra ... ucky-fucky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
but for Lewis and Alonso to be the driver of the year they've got to do more.

I'm not sure what more Alonso could have done. He has had 1 not great result (Bahrain) and got the best out of the car in the other 10. I'll admit with Ricciardo I forgot Austria. Germany he got screwed by the Massa/Magnussen T1 crash and had to come through from 16th to 6th which was pretty respectable.

I'm not sure what more Alonso could have done. He has had 1 not great result (Bahrain) and got the best out of the car in the other 10. I'll admit with Ricciardo I forgot Austria. Germany he got screwed by the Massa/Magnussen T1 crash and had to come through from 16th to 6th which was pretty respectable.

He didn't do as good as the guy that had to start from 20th place. :wink:

I'm not bad mouthing Alonso, but it's what he does. With the exception of the topsy turvy Hungary result, he's done what's he's always done, put the car a couple of positions up from where it belongs, but he's Alonso, he's supposed to.

I'm not bad mouthing Alonso, but it's what he does. With the exception of the topsy turvy Hungary result, he's done what's he's always done, put the car a couple of positions up from where it belongs, but he's Alonso, he's supposed to.

Honest question. If Alonso was in a Mercedes do you think he would be leading the WDC now?
Honest question. If Alonso was in a Mercedes do you think he would be leading the WDC now?

Honest answer, no. I think he would have done pretty much the same as Lewis maybe slightly better, maybe slightly worse. Overall he's pretty much equal to Lewis in terms of how good a driver he is.

They're both in my opinion by quite a margin the best two overall drivers.

I think the better question is if Lewis was in a Ferrari... and my answer would be he'd be getting as much out of the car as Alonso. That Merc could be put on pole and on the podium by half the drivers on the grid.

See our F1 related articles too!