FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Lapping your teammate or beating your polesitter teammate to the podium from the pits

Lapping your WDC teammate
64%
Beating your polesitter teammate to the podium from the pits
36%
Ok legendary drivers are known for legendary feats, its what defines them as a cut above other good or even great drivers

Senna Donnington Park, Senna a couple of seconds quicker in quali over his WDC teammate IN MONACO!! Senna driving faster and faster in the rain as the rest of the field were slowing down lap by lap as the rain got worse and worse

Lewis though apart from almost lapping the field in the rain at Silverstone has done something I dont think has ever been done before in the history of F1 - Lewis lapped his WDC teammate in a normal race where neither had an issue.

And now Lewis has started in the pit lane and BEAT his teammate who started on pole to the podium. From the back in the same car just beggars belief

I am therefore interested in what others think as to which feat will become more legendary in posterity.
Fangio with his many titles in his 40's. For me that trumps any of the above.

The examples are good, many fantastic drives in fact, but for example; Senna's Donnington win is overhyped - mechanically the McLaren along with the Williams and Benetton had a big advantage over every other car in the field with a form of active suspension that the others didn't have (McLaren didn't have it at the start of the season but they did by that point).

Today was a brilliant drive from Lewis, but it undeniably was helped with the safety car intervention. I still personally think he would have finished no worse than 5th without it, but it wasn't a straight drive from pitlane to third.

If it was a Senna drive you're going for, I'd actually point to Brazil (1991 from memory) when he was stuck in gear with the car failing around him yet still hung on for the win. As for Hamilton, I'd go for his Monaco 2008 race with the rain, puncture, and masterful dominance to win in spite of those difficulties.
Great post Zurich, you are absolutely correct about how time distorts the achievements finer detail. Eg Lewis at Silverstone had a good pitstop Senna had a good car in the rain etc etc

However people want legends and stories and tales, and thats why I believe these 2 feats of Lewis 1 will surpass anything Seb or even Alonso has done in the eyes of posterity, I choose starting from the pit lane
I choose starting from the pit lane

I dunno, lapping a team-mate who is a world champion is pretty impressive too! Difficult choice, especially when weather and safety cars were a factor today in Budapest (don't take that as a jibe at Lewis, I'm just trying to weight the two of them up).
Can we talk? Had Lewis won today's race it would have been something no one had ever done before in the sport, win from pit lane. IMO, Lewis drove to his capacity today and that's why we saw the results we did. He didn't do anything special or magical, it's what he does. That in itself is the main ingredient in "legend".

Cookin' I know you started this thread as a bit of nose rubbing but let's focus on the task at hand, win the championship and then rub the haterz noses in it. I just feel more comfortable with that. :wink:
Agreed WB it's just Lewis, however 20, 30 years from now racing fans will discuss mythical feats and time will erase the little details and special circumstances. The ones that become most spoken about will be the outlandish ones - which even Lewis doesn't do every race only in exceptional circumstances or times of real adversity

That's what really counts in life, not what happened but how you felt about what happened

How does anyone feel as Alonso hangs on to come second, how does anyone feel as Lewis comes from the pits staring 39 point gap to Nico in the face to beat him, this is what will be relayed outside the stas and that's where the legend comes from

Let's not forget I've had my signature from the end of last season and so this is hardly the time for me to be getting cautious or humble.

If this was a profitable trade, now would be the time to load up and increase your stake when it's still possible to find doubters and haterz
Beating polesitter teammate (who can actually drive) from the pitlane is more impressive anyday. Lapping a guy who talks more than drives is just funny to think about once in a while, but you don't become legendary by beating a :duckie:
I picked lapping a WDC cuz I laughed so bad about that. Didn't hamilton do that in spain 2012 as well? Or finished like 7th and 8th right behind button? Korea 2012(?) comes to mind as well when button finished 15th :rofl:

Beating a polesitter teammate who was dropped 5 places due to a safety car while the guy in the back gained 5 places for it doesn't really seem legendary to me. Not to mention the fact that a certain 4x WDC handed him another position.
I picked lapping a WDC cuz I laughed so bad about that. Didn't hamilton do that in spain 2012 as well? Or finished like 7th and 8th right behind button? Korea 2012(?) comes to mind as well when button finished 15th :rofl:

Beating a polesitter teammate who was dropped 5 places due to a safety car while the guy in the back gained 5 places for it doesn't really seem legendary to me. Not to mention the fact that a certain 4x WDC handed him another position.

He finished 6th I think, and ahead of Button...despite being DSQ and starting last.

But geet, isn't it funny how Hamilton forced a 4X WDC to hand him a position while Rosberg struggled to get some Toro Rosso driver to do the same? :scratchchin:
I think winning the 2008 Monza GP in an at best mid field car was the drive of a legend.

Sent using NCC-1701

:scratchchin:

What about the 2008 British GP, in torrential conditions beating everyone by almost a minute?

He finished 6th I think, and ahead of Button...despite being DSQ and starting last.

But geet, isn't it funny how Hamilton forced a 4X WDC to hand him a position while Rosberg struggled to get some Toro Rosso driver to do the same? :scratchchin:

naw vettel $#@!*& that up all on his own :P:P:P
I think winning the 2008 Monza GP in an at best mid field car was the drive of a legend.

Sent using NCC-1701

:scratchchin:

What about the 2008 British GP, in torrential conditions beating everyone by almost a minute?

That remains the stand out drive for me. Incredible! Lapping up to ( was it third place? ) so lapped a few world champions there.
Yeah. Rain is the great equalizer, as we saw in Hungary how the mighty Mercedes was humbled by Toro Rossos and even a Ferrari.

So winning in a lesser car isn't so great as it may seem, but beating the next best car by a minute in conditions where cars were spinning left and right....well.

See our F1 related articles too!