FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Axe or Save Practice

Axe Practice One
10%
Save Practice One
90%
By LiamCatterson
So everyone probably knows about this but for those who don't, the FIA are considering scrapping Practice for the morning in a bid to save money. We'd not get an extension on the second practice, just 90 minutes of running in that day...What do you think? If you want the full article, here is the news

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -cut-costs

Furthermore, I'd like to hear YOUR thoughts. Do you think this is a great idea or do you think this as big of a bad idea than sprinklers on race tracks :hehe:
Nothing like giving the fans more for their money. Those 400 dollar weekend grand stand seats are not exorbitantly priced enough. :hehe:
By myownalias
I think that axing FP1 would be a mistake, but the bigger mistake would be axing in-season testing, especially with this new formula and it was only reinstated recently, if getting less is what cost cutting entails, I give it a :thumbdown:
By spankyham
I heard they were also planning on cutting back the pre season practice sessions and only running in Spain again.

I bet Honda will be happy if that happens.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By racechick
Keep it I say!!
By myownalias
It seems strange that teams would vote for less setup time and testing; but according to another article I read, it was the teams, Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, Red Bull, Lotus and Williams that suggested the changes while the teams without a voice seem to favour keeping things as they are as the smaller less wealthy outfits make extra money in FP1 because they run their reserve drivers which can add to their coffers.
By sagi58
What about a compromise? Possibly based on the final rankings of the previous season?
By 1Lemon
This is a stupid and bizarre idea. I have doubts this is any more than a superfluous change that'll save hardly any money at all and just look like it will.
By spankyham
Paddy Lowe says the rationale is to reduce to the workload on the cars and PUs which are now way more expensive. He also says its still subject to acceptance of the teams.

It might hurt some mid or bottom teams as they may loose an income stream i.e. selling off practice session drives to pay-drivers.
By 1Lemon
I don't think it's gonna happen. Think about it, it's losing money not saving it; if the sponsors get less air and track time they're not going to be willing to spend the same amount. Same with the FOM and their TV rights.
By Hammer278
I couldn't care much....in a way this makes it a tougher challenge for teams and drivers to get accustomed to the track and set the cars up. Yet again, the best teams and drivers will deal with it best.

Lower the prices of tickets a wee bit or add more support races (note FIA: my fantasy of having all F1 drivers to a go kart race (all cars equal) on the track with proceeds donated to charity is still up for grabs) or air shows.
I think that axing FP1 would be a mistake, but the bigger mistake would be axing in-season testing, especially with this new formula and it was only reinstated recently, if getting less is what cost cutting entails, I give it a :thumbdown:

Agreed!
I can see why they would be for it. If you're a team that's engine supplier is Renault, it would save your engines a bit more but overall, it is a stupid choice and it is wasting more money for the fans

See our F1 related articles too!