FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

As TP you know developments will improve your car, what do you if a team is strong from the start?

1) I would make a conscious choice, after sitting down with everyone at the table, as to which driver would be the stronger of the two and plan accordingly, in order to be competitive for the WDC.
No votes
0%
2) I would allow both drivers free reign to fight on track, after sitting down with everyone at the table, and consciously choosing to "gamble" on the WDC, since the team is more important.
20%
3) I would wait, for a specified period of time, before sitting down with everyone at the table, and then consciously make the decision to "back" one driver over the other.
80%
By sagi58
This exchange had me thinking about what I'd do, if I were a team principal.

It was previously said by Toro Rosso that Vettel had an amazing mechanical aptitude. I'd imagine that, and his ability to put down consistent, fast laps means he has the car developed to his liking over the first few rounds.

I think 2012 is a good example of a Vettel season when he doesn't start off with a fast car:

He started off with a 2nd place finish in Australia, Finished 11th in Malaysia after Cucumber-gate, and then finished 5th in China. So after three races he had only scored 28 points. This year he so far has 23 points. (But the big difference is that whereas in 2012 he leader after 3 races (Hamilton) was on 45 points, whereas this year Rosberg is already on 61 points. So Vettel is already 21 points worse-off this season).

Then in 2012 Vettel surprisingly turned up to Bahrain and got a hat trick, but he didn't win another race until Singapore - 10 races later...

Between Bahrain and Singapore that year, Vettel only had 2 podium finishes. Then POW! Four wins in a row. Also his record at Suzuka and Singapore is impressive. I would usually add Korea and India into the mix as well but they're not on the calendar this year.

I guess it's just going to be a question of whether the Mercedes cars will continue their dominance or not....

Or Newey got his sh!t together. His dominance at later tracks is surely to do with car development, and the RB track preference, rather than suiting Vettel in particular. It was usually a time when Webber was consistently at the very pointy end too.

Then again maybe Vettel is a true great but Ricciardo is simply a future five-times champ, and it's really Red Bull, not Merc, with the Senna/ Prost thing going on.

In one scenario, you have a strong car with two equally talented drivers and, on the other hand, you have a car that you realize will probably get stronger as the season progresses and you're faced with "playing favourites" because you realize it may not be productive for your drivers to split wins/points.

What do you do, besides be happy you're in that position?

I'd like to set up a poll; but, wasn't sure that I'd be able to cover "all" options. If you have any suggestions, please let me know and I will gladly add them.

For now, I've posted the above.

Edit: Link to above post: viewtopic.php?p=399078#p399078
Last edited by sagi58 on 13 Apr 14, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
The answer to this really depends on how dominant you are. If I were Merc right now I'd pick the second, but if I was in a close battle, it'd be the third.
Last year, at Ferrari, it was a "better" choice to back Alonso, regardless of how sweet and nice Massa is.
This year, I'm not so sure, quite yet!
The answer to this really depends on how dominant you are. If I were Merc right now I'd pick the second, but if I was in a close battle, it'd be the third.

There are a lot of variables to take into consideration, especially the timing of any decision, eh?
I had no intention of posting but Sagi 1 warning :o

I asked this question sincerely and without malice or any intention of causing an uproar!!
So, I'm not sure what you need to warn me about?? :confused:

You know, I don't expect everyone to agree and especially not with me, considering it's no
secret I'm a Ferrari fan and considering their methodology for running the team. Having said
that, I believe that, as adults, we can discuss what we would do without being critical of
what others choose to do.

It's very obvious that there are different philosophies/approaches amongst the F1 teams
and how they make decisions. However, I've come to the conclusion that it's easier have
a plan, than it is to follow it through once you're actually living it, especially since it can
be difficult to have a contingency back up for all the possible variables.

p.s. Note to the Moderators:
If you feel this thread is contentious, I respectfully ask that you delete it, please!
It is a double edged sword. 2 strong drivers will split the points and you might lose a WDC over it. However on the other hand if you have a weak driver and one strong driver. As a constructor you are putting all yours eggs in one basket.

Sent using NCC-1701
I've gone for option 3.

Would be more than happy to let them fight it out and establish (if any) which of them is the contender for the top pickings. If only one ends up in serious contention, then it seems obvious to lean more importance on that driver, if need be, in a race.

If both remain neck-and-neck, and pretty much equal, then it makes sense to leave it that way.
I'd let them race until they reach a point in the season where it is mathematically impossible for one to win.

If you wanted to choose a driver then you shouldn't have picked two even guys to begin with, plenty of Rubens types out there that can submit to being number 2!
I'd let them race until they reach a point in the season where it is mathematically impossible for one to win.

If you wanted to choose a driver then you shouldn't have picked two even guys to begin with, plenty of Rubens types out there that can submit to being number 2!

That's pretty much my thinking too. Let them fight until one has a very distinct, clear advantage over the other (the way alonso had the better of massa most of the time at ferrari) and then back one over the other.
I chose option 2 because there wasn't really a choice that matched what I'd do, but it was the closest.

My option would be ....
Firstly, there'd be no sitting down and discussing it. At the start of the season I let them fight it out on the track. Once one establishes a clear lead and we are past the mid point of the season (give or take depending on the standing of other teams and drivers) we establish our best chance to win and the whole team, including the other driver, would throw their weight behind that driver winning. This would most likely be long before the other driver was out of mathematical chances.
I'd just enjoy my cars and my drivers fighting it out week in and week out for those 1-2 finishes while the other teams flounder about for a distant 3rd cause I'd obviously be the best team principal ever and my only competition. :D
...I'd obviously be the best team principal ever and my only competition. :D

:clap:Image

(( p.s. excuse the Vettel-esque finger; but, at least it's RED!! :thumbup: ))

See our F1 related articles too!