FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will this pairing be as compelling as Senna vs Prost?

Yes, it already is
13%
No, Senna and Prost were mythical beings in a duel that can never be bettered
6%
It is the biggest actual duel we have had since and could develop that way
75%
I would rather have 1 driver in the best car without competition from his teammate
6%
I am only interested if there is a lead driver from each team with near spec cars all challenging every week for the win (this has never happened before)
No votes
0%
--
@Thetruth . I agreed with much of your post , except the bit about Seb being in the other Merc to give Lewis a run. I think Seb would struggle in that other Merc.

:wink:

Oh well, if Seb gets crushed.... :D

I'm sure I'll have more to say later. hehe
--

Well when I say 'struggle' it's all relative of course. Probably still score a shed load of points in that Merc beast. But I don't think he'd trouble our Lewis. Just my view :)

I think he would have scored just as many points as Rosberg. :D

Yep. Something like that :thumbup:
--
@Thetruth . I agreed with much of your post , except the bit about Seb being in the other Merc to give Lewis a run. I think Seb would struggle in that other Merc.

--

Well when I say 'struggle' it's all relative of course. Probably still score a shed load of points in that Merc beast. But I don't think he'd trouble our Lewis. Just my view :)

On the flip side of this, d'ya think that Alonso or Hamilton would have a better time with the Red Bull "as is"? :confused:
--

--

On the flip side of this, d'ya think that Alonso or Hamilton would have a better time with the Red Bull "as is"? :confused:

Yes and yes
--

--

Yes and yes

:yes::yes:
--

--

Yes and yes

...because Ricciardo is doing so much better than Vettel? :confused:
--

--

Yes and yes

...because Ricciardo is doing so much better than Vettel? :confused:

No. Because Vettel can't get to grips with a car that doesn't provide the rear downforce he needs( we were saying that before Ricciardo came on the scene) . Alonso and Hamilton have both dragged recalcitrant cars where they have no right to be.
I knew I posted somewhere but couldn't find it!
To RC and all Lewis Fans, what I feel about him is my personal view. He is undoubtably supremly fast and I was so excited for him to join McLaren. I was disappointed in how he behaved over certain things and really for him to reach his potential he had to leave McLaren with Martin in charge. As a McLaren supporter I was devastated to see him leave. I like Jenson, I know he is not the best, the fastest etc etc but I like him, so burn me at the stake for liking a former team mate of Lewis. I also like Kimmi, feck I am having a horrible season so far! I think Alonso is the most complete driver on the grid though.

For me Alonso is the best, Hamilton 2nd and anyone of the others could be 3rd but with the Mercedes right now it will be Rosberg. He is a fine driver but he is not as naturally talented as Lewis or Fernando so he looses valuable 10ths.

For all the Lewis fans, happy WCC and WDC. China was a snorefest, if the Mercedes is going to do this every race then why watch?
I knew I posted somewhere but couldn't find it!
To RC and all Lewis Fans, what I feel about him is my personal view. He is undoubtably supremly fast and I was so excited for him to join McLaren. I was disappointed in how he behaved over certain things and really for him to reach his potential he had to leave McLaren with Martin in charge. As a McLaren supporter I was devastated to see him leave. I like Jenson, I know he is not the best, the fastest etc etc but I like him, so burn me at the stake for liking a former team mate of Lewis. I also like Kimmi, feck I am having a horrible season so far! I think Alonso is the most complete driver on the grid though.

For me Alonso is the best, Hamilton 2nd and anyone of the others could be 3rd but with the Mercedes right now it will be Rosberg. He is a fine driver but he is not as naturally talented as Lewis or Fernando so he looses valuable 10ths.

For all the Lewis fans, happy WCC and WDC. China was a snorefest, if the Mercedes is going to do this every race then why watch?

Why watch? Many reasons. One of them being races like Bahrain.

It's great you enjoy Jenson, but just as you were disappointed with Lewis' behaviour, so I and other Lewis fans were disappointed in Jenson's. The dislike of him is nothing to do with him being a former team mate of Lewis, no issue with any of Lewis' other team mates, it's to do with his behaviour.
I'd reverse the choice you give of first and second best driver, but I'm sure that won't surprise you. Ive made my choice by what I've witnessed. And it's only by a smidgen, two excellent drivers.
What does confuse me somewhat is this term ' complete' driver. It's bandied about a lot. Do we have drivers on the grid with bits missing, a toe here, a finger there, but with Alonso it must be just the end of his little pinkie? ( that's a baby finger for the dirty minded out there!)

Or are we referring to a drivers personality? Perhaps a 'complete' driver is better with the interpersonal skills? Lewis must clearly be lacking as he displays his emotions for all to see. A definate sign of incompleteness. Alonso on the other hand is contained, that must mean 'complete'........though there was the blocking his team mate episode, the being involved with a team mate to crashing episode, the bribing the team episode, the asking his team mate to be moved aside episodes. But this is perhaps good on the 'completeness' scale, shows determination to succeed however.

More likely this 'complete' driver thing relates to driving skills, so let's look at those.
Speed over one lap, Overtaking, Thinking a race through, Defending, saving tyres, saving fuel, good team player, dragging a poor car up the grid, not 'going missing' in races, developing the car......there's probably more. I really can't see how Alonso outscores Lewis here. I think there are a lot of myths surrounding these two drivers and it's time they were put to bed( not the drivers :groucho: the myths)

Anyway, enough of Alonso. This is the Lewis and Nico thread. How 'complete' :twisted: is Nico. What's missing from the lad?
The biggest "bit" Alonso misses IMO is he's a pretty mediocre qualifier. I wouldn't doubt that many, myself included would have rather seen the Rosberg/Hamilton battle played out as an Alonso/Halmilton battle, but hey, suck it up guys, if Ferrari makes a better car, perhaps we'll get to see that. So far this millenium it's been quite a lot of domination with very little real racing.

2010 is the biggest standout season.
Arguably Rosberg did better than Hamilton last year, considering the extra retirements. China this year just seemed a hickup, and Bahrain was nothing at all the fault of Rosberg. Both drove supremely and Hamilton held on because he was driving perfectly in the dual. I think we will likely see more duals like that for the season, and possibly no fallout between the two considering their background. I think Lewis will make Rosberg a better driver throughout the year.

And definitely would be amazing with Alonso in there with the other two.
In my opinion, Rosberg is the strongest driver Lewis has had as a teammate since his rookie year. I disagree that "arguably" Rosberg drove better over over last season, although in Monaco, he drove masterfully! The issue with Rosberg is that sometimes he inexplicably shows up on Sunday, flaccid.

See our F1 related articles too!