FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will this pairing be as compelling as Senna vs Prost?

Yes, it already is
13%
No, Senna and Prost were mythical beings in a duel that can never be bettered
6%
It is the biggest actual duel we have had since and could develop that way
75%
I would rather have 1 driver in the best car without competition from his teammate
6%
I am only interested if there is a lead driver from each team with near spec cars all challenging every week for the win (this has never happened before)
No votes
0%
There is a really funny conversation at the start of this Sky review
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9258362/f1-midweek-report-bahrain-2014

Its the old Nico will beat lewis this year because he is more cerebral, and it goes like this;

Lewis is fast and instinctive
Nico is more cerebral and with these regs that will triumph
The last race though Nico was faster than Lewis
Oh Yes Nico should have won that one
So how did Lewis win if he was slower?
Ah well over the season reliability will be a factor and Lewis is a car breaker
But its hard to break your car before the first race?
Ah, but Lewis will have those bad weekends he has when his head goes down
But he beat Nico last season despite not happy with the car or settled?
Lewis will have to be at his best and do his homework every single weekend otherwise its Nicos

Truly truly breathtaking stuff :rofl:
Hey at least it's not that bad, some one the US commentators picked Ferrari to win in Bahrain.

Which one of the voices?

[youtube]TnKd_vDQezU[/youtube]
Those Americans sound awfully Australian.
They both speak English

North and South Koreans both speak Korean but you wouldn't want to get them confused.
Those Americans sound awfully Australian.

Are you having a laugh? Those guys sound 100% American to me. :confused:

Okay, 1 of them could be Aussie.
Leigh Diffey is the australian one. Idk if he has a sports background or not

Steve Matchett is as What's Burning? said. He is english born but sounds pretty american these days, although he still sounds fairly english to us yanks. He says 'dude' a lot actually :D

David Hobbs is the third. He was an indy driver back in the 70s if I remember correctly and has a lot of 24 hours of le mans starts under his belt.

I know this is a little off topic but I think they're a great commentating team. Leigh diffey is a sharp guy. Steve Matchett has all the know-how as far as engineering and mechanical things are concerned. David hobbs has decent input about what drivers are doing but is mostly there for my entertainment and sounding kind of like an old drunk at times :rofl::rofl::rofl: He's not as sharp as he used to be though, sometimes getting drivers names wrong. That isn't to say he doesn't know who is who. I know steve matchett mistakenly referred to ricciardo as webber at the aussie gp this year :hehe: they're aging :P but still a great team, imo. Much better than those guys on sky :vomit:

Here's a funny video of them playing F1 2012. From left to right this is Leigh, David, and Steve
[youtube]watch?v=1f2e6TQrncU[/youtube]
Absolutely fabulous racing from Lewis and Nico. Fantastic racing from everyone on the grid really.
There is a huge desire to win from both Lewis and Nico and I am looking forward to seeing it played out without team orders like Nico being told to stay behind Lewis last year.
A new golden age? nah, not yet. Mercedes want to win the WCC and I am sure they will this year. They have done the best job and have Lewis and Nico, two top drivers so the WCC is a given I think.
I watched Lewis when he was Karting, I was delighted when he was in McLaren but he changed from a Racer to a petulant child and I did not like that! He has left the coop and now has matured into the real racing driver that McLaren wanted. I don't think that Jenson Button had such an effect on Lewis as you fans seem to think. Is sharing data normal? It is a team sport so data from the faster side of the garage will always be shared, or is that only a bad thing where Lewis is concerned?

One race does not make a new golden age.
Absolutely fabulous racing from Lewis and Nico. Fantastic racing from everyone on the grid really.
There is a huge desire to win from both Lewis and Nico and I am looking forward to seeing it played out without team orders like Nico being told to stay behind Lewis last year.
A new golden age? nah, not yet. Mercedes want to win the WCC and I am sure they will this year. They have done the best job and have Lewis and Nico, two top drivers so the WCC is a given I think.
I watched Lewis when he was Karting, I was delighted when he was in McLaren but he changed from a Racer to a petulant child and I did not like that! He has left the coop and now has matured into the real racing driver that McLaren wanted. I don't think that Jenson Button had such an effect on Lewis as you fans seem to think. Is sharing data normal? It is a team sport so data from the faster side of the garage will always be shared, or is that only a bad thing where Lewis is concerned?

Sharing data is absolutely the way to go as Mercedes has clearly demonstrated. But you'd have to ask why the faster setup wasn't shared with Lewis at Spa in the infamous twitter gate. Or was he being a petulant child then? I don't think Jenson had an effect on Lewis, it was McLaren being aimless and lost that had the effect.

Lewis changed from a racer to a petulant child did he? That's quite a transformation. Where did you find this information? Or is it just your view? You see, I see no petulant child just a proud, highly competitive racer who is often very hard on himself when he doesn't perform to his own high standards.

I'm at a loss as to why you've brought button into a thread on Hamilton and Roseberg and the superb racing they're giving us, but since you have, let's have a look at what you say.

'Us fans' think Jenson had an effect on Lewis. Are you serious? Lewis beat Alonso, a double world champion in his rookie year. He is fighting tooth and nail with a fast and fair team mate at the moment and has the biggest smile on his face. What on earth makes you think Jenson had an effect on him?
I'll tell you what had an effect on him. It was a weak TP who allowed a slower driver to hijack the team by doing his work in the TP's office instead of on the track. Costing Lewis and costing McLaren.

Data sharing, fine! So long as it's a two way process. At Mercedes they have two distinct sets of engineers, Lewis' and Nico's and each will fight hard to get their man an advantage. If one side find and advantage, it's shared in the interests of the team. Very very different to Lewis turning up at McLaren and finding the whole engineering squad with his data around Jenson trying to figure out How to get him quicker. This at a time when Lewis was getting podiums and in the championship hunt and Jenson was languishing out of the points week after week.

You mention The Merc team orders of last year. I'm sure you realise that was not to give Lewis an advantage. But just to be clear. Ross gave that order to protect the best points haul for Mercedes to that point in time. The car was not the fastest on the grid and the engines were turned down and racing called off to protect the cars and points.
This year is a different story. The Merc has over two seconds a lap and the boys have the green light to go racing. Merc has said we're giving the fans what they want, racing. And boy are they! It's certainly what I want, I'm not a fan of chess or back room deals. And the backdrop to that racing is scrupulous fairness. Which is all Lewis has ever asked for, not an advantage, just parity. Because when things are not fair , that injustice burns deep.

I must apologise IheartKimi, not for my sentiments, but for my robust delivery of them. I'm not in a very good frame of mind at the moment and you've borne the brunt of that. So apologise on that count.
I know I'm opening a can of zombified worms here, but if Lewis was getting podiums and fighting for the championship, whereas his teammate was fighting for the minor points; wouldn't it make sense to share the data with the slower driver to get them both up to speed? In terms of the team's view this would be the best option as they want the WCC. Lewis wouldn't need to look at Jenson's data as he is significantly slower.

Of course that's no excuse as to why McLaren have kept Jenson for so long, if it was my team he'd be gone in 2011 and in would have come Hulk or Di Resta for all his sins.
No zombified worms, if data is being shared when it's clearly better one way, that's fine and we'll all happy that Jenson got a lot of support from his teammate there. Specific to twittergate, why did the team not share that faster data with Lewis?

There was a lot of disbelief and outrage from quite a few of the usual Lewis detractors due to that, but hindsight to those that didn't see it at the time should be very helpful. I forgive you for not being as quick on the uptake, although we zombified worms knew all along. Water under the bridge, We've got a fantastic open and symbiotic partnership in Lewis and Rosberg and I hope that Rosberg keeps it close to the end!
--
I think Rosberg's goose is cooked. He seems almost babbling and incoherent at the moment -- totally psychologically destroyed. (That's one thing Button got right, Lewis' speed in the same equipment will shock you, and Rosberg seems stunned).

Thus, no Senna/Prost comparisons on the horizon, methinks, save for the odd race or two, unless he can raise his game significantly, and permanently. Don't think he can do it.

I think we need a fast Ferrari or Red Bull, or Seb in some future Mercedes, to see some real fireworks (and those two guys -- Senna and Prost -- sure gave us some of that).

--

Of course, I could be wrong about Rosberg.

I think all these guys have to think they are the best, or equal to the best, and when they come up against something or someone that shatters that self-belief, they may struggle to get their mojo back. Rosberg, and maybe Seb as well, are dealing with this now. What shall the next few races bring?

Ultimately, somewhere down the line, I can see Rosberg leaving Mercedes. Because, after the McLaren debacle, I don't see Mercedes tearing the fabric of their team apart just based on some nationalistic fervor over a guy that is clearly not as good as HAM is. And that appears to be Nico's only chance at the moment -- to turn the team in his favor, and against Hamilton. But I hope it's a straight-up fight, no foul play involved. Fair play is always the mark of a true champion, even in F1, in my opinion! :hehe:

So hopefully, maybe one day we do get to see Seb and Lewis in a dominant Mercedes, or Ferrari, or even in a McLaren/Honda. Now that, would be Senna/Prost 2.0, no doubt about it....
--

See our F1 related articles too!