FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will this pairing be as compelling as Senna vs Prost?

Yes, it already is
13%
No, Senna and Prost were mythical beings in a duel that can never be bettered
6%
It is the biggest actual duel we have had since and could develop that way
75%
I would rather have 1 driver in the best car without competition from his teammate
6%
I am only interested if there is a lead driver from each team with near spec cars all challenging every week for the win (this has never happened before)
No votes
0%
The thing with a Senna/Prost golden age is that it can quite easily become a Hamilton/Alonso golden age.

Well, the latter was similarly explosive, but confined to one year instead of several... but once again, like Senna/Prost, is was more about off-track bitterness, than on-track wheel-to-wheel racing.

This is why the Bahrain GP was so brilliant.

Well the poll says it all, truly could be the start of something special. :drink:
The interesting thing is, just by most opinions on forums and the media, it was the most compelling racing this century, yet only one person (you know who) has voted for option 1 - it already is as compelling. Now is this because most respondents did not witness the Senna/Prost era and have no basis for comparison beyond 3rd party reports or did they witness it and need something else to make it more compelling 8-)
I picked option three because there have only been three races so far. What I saw was as compelling, but I want a bit more evidence before saying categorically that this battle is better. As I said before in Nico and Rosberg's favour is the fact that it's pure racing, no political intrigue. The only dark cloud on the horizon is that after a stunning exhibition on track all season, one if them could get screwed by the mad double points.......then politics will intervene, as it did with Prost and senna.
Yes. I've noticed Nico's good at that.
Winning hearts and minds

Sent using NCC-1701

I'm sure Nico will have increased his fan base this year. But I'd say it's more down to his superb display of fair wheel to wheel racing against Lewis than his eloquence on the podium.
It is certainly exciting - if the season must continue like this, I'm certainly rooting for Rosberg to really show the world how impressive he is. Rosberg will never get a better chance than this to win the world title.

However, I ultimately hope to see Vettel and Red Bull catch up and dominate towards the end of the season. If Hamilton wins fairly and squarely over Rosberg, I will have qualms about it either.

Hamilton's performance during this season can go a long way to shaping my overall opinion of him. A second championship with healthy competition and not too much benefiting from luck will really go a long way to justifying his price tag.

I've always maintained that F1 is about the fastest driver in the fastest car winning. Mercedes have the fastest car, now who is the faster driver? This season is proving to be a real shake-up in my life as Red Bull fan - I'm so used to them winning! Instead of being excited, I'm having to come to terms with a new feeling that I have felt for about 5 years - disappointment.

So I guess I'm a crazy biased fan like everyone else on this forum... Damn - I thought I was immune to this feeling of loyalty and love for a team that's not doing so well. It's guess it's good that I feel more... human. :P

Hopefully I will snap out of it and enjoy this season from a purist's perspective. But maybe if my recorder didn't stop 15 laps before the end of the last race I would've got to see this exciting battle and get to really enjoy it.

From a purist's perspective - the changes in the sport are really good. The motor industry heading down an economical, fuel efficient progression. It is only natural that the top flight of racing lead the way in engineering economical racing technologies. I just wish that there wouldn't be so much of a performance difference between the different engines....
The interesting thing is, just by most opinions on forums and the media, it was the most compelling racing this century...

Just quoted this bit, as it is of particular interest.

You are correct, it was indeed one of the most compelling Grands Prix of this century. Which are the other ones? I personally select:

2005 Japanese Grand Prix
2007 European Grand Prix
2007 Belgian Grand Prix (marred only by the FIA ruling)
2008 Brazilian Grand Prix
2011 Canadian Grand Prix
2012 European Grand Prix (still holds the record for most people ever online on this forum, after taking it from the previous race in the list!) :hehe:
2012 Brazilian Grand Prix
2014 Bahrain Grand Prix
All compelling races in their way. However I content that 2014 was the most comelling RACING as opposed to compelling race. In the others, there was something to watch and maybe not fall asleep on the sofa about but this time it was a racing almost through the entire race. And from several othe pairs to make it even better. FI, Williams, RBR, Lotus, everyone except Ferrari provided racing entertainment througout
Yes though the standings is being made more interesting that one driver has had a DNF meaning it's a lot closer than it should be which is cool and makes it an interesting fight.
However, I ultimately hope to see Vettel and Red Bull catch up and dominate towards the end of the season. If Hamilton wins fairly and squarely over Rosberg, I will have qualms about it either.

I think Hamilton has never won where it wasn't fair and square!

Hamilton's performance during this season can go a long way to shaping my overall opinion of him. A second championship with healthy competition and not too much benefiting from luck will really go a long way to justifying his price tag.

This is an interesting POV, Big Azza as IMO, Hamilton has historically had some of the worst luck possible and has lost at least one WDC because of it, certainly 2012.
All compelling races in their way. However I content that 2014 was the most comelling RACING as opposed to compelling race....

Agreed :yes:

A lot of people said the 2005 Japanese GP was one of the best in the sport's history. Surely this Bahrain GP now moves into that group. Firmly.

See our F1 related articles too!