FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will this pairing be as compelling as Senna vs Prost?

Yes, it already is
13%
No, Senna and Prost were mythical beings in a duel that can never be bettered
6%
It is the biggest actual duel we have had since and could develop that way
75%
I would rather have 1 driver in the best car without competition from his teammate
6%
I am only interested if there is a lead driver from each team with near spec cars all challenging every week for the win (this has never happened before)
No votes
0%
What is most intriguing about the Merc pair is that all Lewis supporters should instantly be rooting for Nico to push Lewis as hard as possible, even to the point of proving himself the faster driver. This seemingly counter intuitive stance will be the confirmation of Lewis' greatness in posterity

Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton. Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna. The former pairing doesn’t exactly evoke the same kind of spine-tingling, era-defining nostalgia the latter creates with the mere mention of those two famous names. But, on the evidence of the first three races, in years to come it has the potential to come close to matching it.

There is little point denying that despite his spirituality, Hamilton, or no other driver for that matter, is likely to come close to matching Senna’s mysticism, which was a unique element of his appeal. You are unlikely to see Hamilton describing a lap in the same terms his Brazilian hero used for his pole run at Monaco in 1988. Likewise, while there are similarities in their demeanour, and their methodical, calculating mentality, Rosberg is not yet as professorial as Prost and is nowhere near as political.

But Senna and Prost only developed fully as personalities, and as drivers, after the few years of intense, ferocious competition with each other; the kind of inter-team rivalry Rosberg and Hamilton have not so far shared. Senna and Prost made each other what they were, and can almost not be imagined without each other. If the Mercedes drivers continue to fight at the front this season and next – as they did in Bahrain – it will not be too long before the same is true of them.

Although it is often overplayed, the contrast of styles and demeanours mirrors Prost-Senna. Hamilton and Rosberg are open enough to admit that. And without other teams, on present form, to steal their limelight, the relentless focus and spotlight will be on the pair throughout the season.

It has been suggested to me that the Rosberg-Hamilton cannot fully captivate the sport because Mercedes are in a league of their own. If fans really believe that one all-conquering team in Formula One precludes an exciting season, then there are several natural ripostes. 1988? 1989? Were these dull seasons? McLaren won 15 out of 16 races in 1988 – a record which stands to this day – and were nearly as dominant a year later. But these are widely recognised to be two of the finest years in the sport’s lengthy history, almost solely because of the depth of rivalry and competition between Prost and Senna.

Without intentionally bringing hateful tweets, comments and emails upon myself, if a follower of Formula One declines to recognise that 1988 and 1989 were two phenomenal seasons, then they might want to consider whether they really are a ‘fan’ after all.
The reason some of the last few years have been on the dull side is not solely because Red Bull were supreme, it is partly because of the disparity in performance between Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber.

We can harp on about ‘the good ol’ days’ as much as we like - although in reality, the gap between teams has generally shortened rather than elongated in recent days - but 2014 has all the ingredients for a hugely memorable rivalry. After all, there are so many factors and subplots at play which make the Rosberg-Hamilton dynamic so intriguing.

They’re friends. They’ve raced against each other since they were 15. They can quickly regale anyone with stories of the wrestling matches or the pizza-eating contests of their youth.
How that relationship holds up under immense strain and stress is difficult to predict, but if the championship remains close throughout 2014’s 19 rounds, it is impossible not to imagine - possibly quite public - friction. Formula One loves a good soap opera, after all.
There is also the size of their respective trophy cabinets. Even though Hamilton keeps his in his father’s loft or garage, he has more wins and the trophy that matters over Rosberg: the world championship, of course.
That experience of what it takes to get over the line will be invaluable, but if the season does become more competitive, will it influence Mercedes' choice of who to back if it gets to that?
So far, and to their enormous credit, Mercedes have eschewed team orders. The softly spoken Paddy Lowe is now the man giving out the crucial radio messages, and his drivers just about fulfilled his request to bring the cars home with 10 laps to go.

Not every race will be like Bahrain, but there may come a point when such an admirably free policy becomes untenable, particularly if they do make contact in a race. Unless of course their championship lead is so enormous it does not even matter if they take each other out.
Regardless of whether team orders are imposed, there’s something common to all racing drivers, and especially the best ones: they hate to lose. Rosberg was gracious in defeat in Bahrain, but he was clearly deeply wounded and frustrated. From the early indications, they will probably share the winning and the losing, and as the championship reaches its critical point managing those losses will become increasingly difficult.

At the moment, they are both good spirited enough to share an almost rugby tackle embrace after the race, and they both speak about how they share data, studying one another’s performances to garner crucial information.
But will all that last? History suggests that it will struggle to. And that will be the making of a rivalry of epic proportions.
A golden age, one race where they actually raced! It truly is a golden age of a singular race!

We won't know into the end of the season.
Voted for the 3rd option. I've not seen such a titanic battle (or promise of one) between two individuals since the Mika-Michael days, but they weren't teammates.

The pressure is really on when a driver has only his teammate to contend with for couple of reasons:

You have an instant benchmark to gauge yourself against, and so do the rest of the world
Your teammate has exactly what you have at his disposal. Advantages and disadvantages are shared, you have zero advantage except your own skill and attitude.

No wonder we've had highly talented drivers (yet highly insecure) who cause such a ruckus if ever there is an internal threat in a team. Self reflection is always the hardest thing, and your teammate is the best person to force it on you.
A golden age, one race where they actually raced! It truly is a golden age of a singular race!

All golden ages have to begin somewhere.

Thats why all we can do now is speculate, or vote for what we think will be the case at the end of the season. You dont have to participate but I suspect everyone else does not have to be told how to think :thumbup:
I don't think we'll ever see a golden age like Senna/Prost; F1 is a controlled disciplined team sport; where bringing two cars home is more important than truly letting team mates race.
I don't think we'll ever see a golden age like Senna/Prost; F1 is a controlled disciplined team sport; where bringing two cars home is more important than truly letting team mates race.

I'm very wary of rose-tinted specs with Senna/Prost. Just actually how many of the Grands Prix in that era could be called classics? How many of the races actually saw the two of them fighting like Rosberg and Hamilton were last Sunday?

We've all been reminded of one or two key moments they had, what with replays and TV clips... but it's always the same, select few moments...

To be fair, Senna/Prost happened because of the McLaren team ethos. There is a strong argument that no other team has matched the strongest drivers and allowed them to race then or since. It could also be proven that McLaren and Merc are the only teams to have done so since.

If we consider every WDC team since there has not been a single one thats provided this.

I'm very wary of rose-tinted specs with Senna/Prost. Just actually how many of the Grands Prix in that era could be called classics? How many of the races actually saw the two of them fighting like Rosberg and Hamilton were last Sunday?

We've all been reminded of one or two key moments they had, what with replays and TV clips... but it's always the same, select few moments...

Its a bit like the race on Sunday, yes the 2 were side by side for big chunks of the race, however even when not side by side and seperated by strategy the competition or drama between them was no less intensified.

Most of the seasons were Prost trying to win by means other than side by side, he was frequently behind on the grid. If anything Ham/Ros promises more drama and comeption because of all the elemnts now ranging on each side, strategy, energy recovery, tyres, grid position.

The compelling nature comes from the side by side as well as the alternate strategies that will become a norm, because once a guy starts in front and has the undercut then the guy behind will drop back at each pitstop and will be forced to try a different strategy.
I picked option Three because it's early days, but It could exceed the Senna / Prost competition because it could end up by being pure racing. No team orders, no outside interference. For me that wins out. With Senna and Prost the evil politics intervened! We had Senna against Prost and Balestre , that wasn't fair. It irked big time! So if this remains pure on track racing, for me, it will be sublime, and if will top the Senna/Prost battle because that one became political ( through no fault of Senna) and I know I've gone into ramble mode now.........
The thing with a Senna/Prost golden age is that it can quite easily become a Hamilton/Alonso golden age.

Well, the latter was similarly explosive, but confined to one year instead of several... but once again, like Senna/Prost, is was more about off-track bitterness, than on-track wheel-to-wheel racing.

This is why the Bahrain GP was so brilliant.

We live in an age of "instant gratification", so it's easy to understand!

Though I agree that one race isn't an "age", I would suggest that it covers more than one season! :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!