FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will RBR end the season top of the Renault teams?

Yes, of course, Newey is a magician
36%
It could happen, but is far from a certainty
36%
Nope, tight packaging leading to ERS failures are his Achilles heel, and this year demands a different set of priorities
29%
Completely agree with you, bud!! Not even sure why it's important to predict anything without any sort of "evidence"!
I guess "Enquiring Minds want to know!" ... NOW!! :D

Without evidence? Did you actually read the OP? The evidence the poll is based upon is the interview with Newey. He admits things are not like the previous 4 years by any means

I think that it's unlikely that Red Bull will drop back behind the other Renault powered teams after winning four straight drivers and constructors titles. It's certainly going to be a tough season assuming that Red Bull hasn't been sandbagging in the first pre-season test, but come mid-season I believe Red Bull will be fighting for wins, I would never count out a Adrian Newey designed car.

Did you read the OP either as this confirms from Neweys mouth the following; He has to design a new solution. He also has to put the batteries away from the sides where he wants. He also says the first half of the year will be about the engine and his aero will not make an once of difference till the engines are all sorted out and on par

And Newey cars have been royal scewups many a time, especially at regulation changes mainly due to ....... Packaging and fragility

Its easy to all have our little assumptions, but these should be looked at in the ligtht of hard evidence, not just 'I feel this so Ill ignore the evidence'
Everythings ok at RBR, because it was so in the last 4 years and will be so from now despite the evidence. And anyone who says otherwise is just being negative, everyone has a bad training session dropping to the back of the field after a major reg change that removed their magic bullet

Its pointless to listen to what the guy says about the setback, its better to wait before even discussing it or answering a poll

I would hate to have a brain I cant use to look beyond whats safe, comfortable or easy to process

But thats what makes life tick, a small group see whats happening ahead of the majority who have to wait till its happened.

In some places the small group are revolutionaries, in other places they are dangerous subversives :hehe:

Everything is as is because its too dangerous and risky to work things out myself - I could get it wrong :yikes:
the engines being under powers will hurt all the Renault teams, so that negates that factor inthe argument of "Who will be the top Renault team"
Who have they got to beat? Lotus, Toro Rosso, Caterham.

Lotus - have they had the funds to develop the E22, will they be able to develope it during the season?
Toro Rosso - Would Mateschitz allow it to happen?
Caterham - It would be a massive jump for them to go from last on the grid to beating the previous champions.
Great observations Jabs :thumbup:

The Renault engine issues will affect all the teams equally agreed. However so far it sounds like only RBR have to redesign their car. The other 3 appear to have cars that work with the power unit, so if Renault solve their issues by Bharain, those 3 should be ahead already.

Caterham - as everyone is quick to point out, the level playing field of the new regs means even a caterham could get luck and find their car works better than the next RBR design, Maybe their massive sidepods are the way forward, who knows. Thru the season RBR should our develop them, so depends how big a start they have

STR - Yes Mateschitz would prefer RBR to win, but if Neweys packaging continues to cause unreliability, fragility and ERS failures (like the last 4 years suggest) then Its likely Mateschitz will be happy with STR flying the flag

Lotus - We assume they have no cash, however the talk is they have a new Russian investor, and funding in place. We know what they can do with a little funding, and we know they are aggressive. And ofcourse they appear to be ahead of RBR in having a car that doesnt have to be redesigned

If there was a proven super designer at RBR who is known for mechanical genius great, assuming Newey, who has always built tightly packaged and fragile cars which dont always work is sandbagging is :rofl::rofl:
Hard evidence is seen on the Tarmac, not in interviews.

:clap:

Maybe in the UK, interviews are like a court of law, where people are sworn to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!! :P

Doing less laps than the recovery truck is the only hard evidence we have so far :thumbup:

:rofl::rofl::whip:
Seeing as you said earlier RBR would win for the 5th time, then you would have to think they will beat the other Renault powered cars :whip:

What do you think about Neweys comments in the OP? Do you think he is sandbagging and is just hiding a car with a 2 sec advantage? Or do you think he means it when he says its his biggest challenge ever so far

I think he means it. I also believe he and the team have the capability to overcome it. I've not many chances to see interviews with him outside of normal race weekend coverage but I don't see him as one who bullsh1ts everybody or sand bags. I may be quite wrong though!
Seeing as you said earlier RBR would win for the 5th time, then you would have to think they will beat the other Renault powered cars :whip:

What do you think about Neweys comments in the OP? Do you think he is sandbagging and is just hiding a car with a 2 sec advantage? Or do you think he means it when he says its his biggest challenge ever so far

I think he means it. I also believe he and the team have the capability to overcome it. I've not many chances to see interviews with him outside of normal race weekend coverage but I don't see him as one who bullsh1ts everybody or sand bags. I may be quite wrong though!

I also thinks he means it and I think his team as well as a couple of others have the resources to overcome this type of early misjudgement. McLaren are known for in season development yet they couldnt recover last year. McLaren and Ferrari both started off badly in the 2009 era and could never catch up to RBR during the aero era. Merc for the last few years went backwards after the start.

F1 has a history of strong teams suddenly struggling when regulations or engines or format changes. Whats interesting is seeing a talented designer getting properly challenged by the new regs, up against the integrated manufacturers. Its just strange that so many feel that RBR start off with some hidden advantage because of 4 years in a past regulatory era. especially insisting Newey must not only get it right, but catch up with other teams full of smart engineers and ignore the fact that he said himself that any car/aero advantages wont be a factor till way after the engines are reliable (packaging, cooling etc)

RBR vs Lotus scrap is on, (Lotus magazine placement notwithstanding)
I think that it's unlikely that Red Bull will drop back behind the other Renault powered teams after winning four straight drivers and constructors titles. It's certainly going to be a tough season assuming that Red Bull hasn't been sandbagging in the first pre-season test, but come mid-season I believe Red Bull will be fighting for wins, I would never count out a Adrian Newey designed car.

Did you read the OP either as this confirms from Neweys mouth the following; He has to design a new solution. He also has to put the batteries away from the sides where he wants. He also says the first half of the year will be about the engine and his aero will not make an once of difference till the engines are all sorted out and on par

And Newey cars have been royal scewups many a time, especially at regulation changes mainly due to ....... Packaging and fragility

Its easy to all have our little assumptions, but these should be looked at in the ligtht of hard evidence, not just 'I feel this so Ill ignore the evidence'

Yes I did read the OP; but...

There is also the likelihood of many teams sandbagging and putting out false information; this could all be a ploy to lull the other frontrunners into false sense of security, giving RB an advantage come Melbourne when the lights go out. The truth is that these pre-season tests mean very little when it comes to racing in anger. Many are assuming that RB are screwed after just four days of testing. How many times do we see Red Bull much slower if FP sessions only to blow everyone out of the water come Q?

See our F1 related articles too!