FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

2014 - What will we see?

Pirelli got it right, this year and there won't be any problems.
33%
There will be issues; but, Pirelli will resolve them without causing a "safety" issue.
No votes
0%
There will be a similar repeat of last season, with a change in the rules.
17%
Another test should be added, later in the season, if there are issues.
17%
Teams should be given a choice between two tire manufacturers.
33%
 wrote:">Pirelli begins three day tire test in Bahrain

Pirelli will begin a three-day tyre test on Tuesday at the Bahrain International Circuit as they look to develop their 2014-specification tyres.

The F1 Commission granted the Italian manufacturer the session on safety grounds ahead of next season.

All 11 teams were invited to take part but only four teams accepted the invitation – Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and Toro Rosso. They will all run 2013-spec cars to a programme decided by Pirelli.

World champions Red Bull have interestingly decided to run reserve driver Sebastien Buemi, rather than Daniel Ricciardo, who joins the team from Toro Rosso to partner Sebastian Vettel.

Nico Rosberg will drive the Mercedes, with Lewis Hamilton not attending as he focuses on his winter training programme.

Veteran Pedro de la Rosa will get behind the wheel of the Ferrari for the first two days, before Marussia driver and Ferrari academy driver Jules Bianchi takes over for the final day.

Toro Rosso will run Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniil Kvyat, who makes his Formula 1 debut with the team next year.

This test is the last of 2013. The first pre-season test of 2014 will start on 28 January 2014 at Jerez.
Last edited by sagi58 on 02 Feb 14, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
That's from December? So I'm not sure what this thread is about?

(And this is in the polls section. So shouldn't there be a poll?)

Yes, it's from December; but, I was hoping to put all "Pirelli" related articles in the one thread.
((Not that comments won't crossover into other threads.)

And, yes, there should be a poll... I tried to write some questions; but, I hate multiple choice,
so I was hoping some of you could help me out on this one.

e.g. There be more than one tire manufacturer.
There should be another tire test session, later in the season.

Any ideas?
I'd assume the factory Merc and Ferrari teams will get over their engine doubts and focus on tyres again by the end of the first race.
There's already an all about Pirelli thread.

Figured there might be; but, I couldn't find it!
And, a search just brought up the name over and again...

Go ahead and delete this one, if you like! :wink:
Staff wrote:">Pirelli announces tyre allocations for first four 2014 F1 races

Pirelli has announced tyre allocations for the first four 2014 Formula 1 races, with just a single 'step' gap between the compounds used.

The Italian firm is confident its choices will result in two or three-stop grands prix in Australia, Malaysia, Bahrain and China.

Teams will get medium and soft tyres for Melbourne, Sakhir and Shanghai, with hards and mediums for Sepang.

A Pirelli statement said that although there was on paper a smaller difference between tyre types at each grand prix than under its usual 2013 practice of a 'two step' gap between compounds, pre-season testing had suggested the 2014 options were sufficiently distinct from each other.

"The results of the final test showed an increased performance gap between the hard and the medium compound, and the medium and the soft compound," said the statement.

"This will give plenty of scope for the teams to formulate interesting strategies to boost their race prospects."

Pirelli motorsport chief Paul Hembery added that the 2014 tyres had proved more durable than last year's to date.

"The conclusion we can draw so far is that the 2014 tyres are more consistent and wear less than their predecessors, without compromising performance," he said.

"We're also meeting another of our objectives with one more step towards the reduction of 'marbles' on the track."
6000TH POST DONE BY ME!! :clap:

Wanted to congratulate you; but, your post count is not quite that high...
6000posts.PNG

Oh.It was 6000th on the thread.

See our F1 related articles too!