FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Does the Red Bull/Vettel streak end at four?

Yes
93%
No
7%
For me the best sign is that we have not had a single post from a Seb/RBR fan
:director: Where are they gone?

A good question. Another good question might be are we better off without the diversity fans of other teams fans? And yet another good question might be what can we do to make people with different views feel welcome, even when we disagree with them? :yes:

Hear hear... Even I've become tolerant of the tifosi... what can I say, they eat well and enjoy a good vino. :thumbup:
By Hammer278
The problem with RB fans is simply the fact that they attract more bandwagonners than the Ferraris. Ferrari have the 'tifosi brigade' where probably a large majority are true fans who stick with the team and a smaller percentage of the fake tifs who move on to other winning teams. However RB has enjoyed converting fans of Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, other successful teams but don't expect them to stay for long since the mentality isn't the same as those who are true. An example is Lemonade, although I find the guy kinda 'quirky' at times it's admirable he's able to stick with a team like Williams after years of not seeing them at the front.
By 1Lemon
I'm always a supporter of the underdog. Yes we have far less victories but it makes it so much sweeter. :)
By CookinFlat6
For further evidence of the meaning and significance of works vs customer vs manufacturer, here is what Mercs Andy Cowell says. (contrast that with Renault)

The new Power Unit has been developed hand-in-hand with, and for, the new F1 W05 race car. What have been the advantages of
conducting this project as a full works team?
AC: We can go all the way back to the discussions around these regulations, before they were finalised, evaluating their impact. Those conversations happened with our
colleagues in Brackley. From the first simulation exercise, we have worked on delivering the fastest possible race car within the regulations to score the most championship
points. Everything has been done as one group of engineers. Having that relationship right from the start is a huge benefit because your level of understanding, reasoning and
discussion builds from the same point. We haven't lost time with one system team catching up with another, which makes the development journey more efficient. It also keeps
the spirit and ethos constant so that, when it comes to hurdles, we have good balance in our decision-making process around what can be compromised and what must not be.
It has resulted in a highly integrated assembly with good common understanding of what makes a fast and reliable race car. That spirit of teamwork has also extended to our
Research and Development colleagues in Stuttgart, who have made an invaluable contribution to the project in specific areas, such as the turbocharger. It has been a true team
effort to develop the best possible technology that Mercedes-Benz can deliver.
By racechick
Pretty impressive that innit :thumbup:
By NHcheese
9 votes for it to end. I don't think that's even accurate. We just don't want them to win. and so does the 50 million who left F1
By myownalias
There is a lot of assumptions being made from the first test; I personally take nothing from these pre-season tests; how often do we see a team showing amazing promise only to see the tables turned come Australia?

That said, Newey's aggressive packaging of the technology can be detrimental, just look at the multiple KERS failures in previous years because Newey insisted on tighter packaging; which ultimate didn't stop the Red Bull charge!
By CookinFlat6
Kers failures dont stop an exhaust blown car from winning a title

Ers failures stop a non exhaust blown diffuser completing a race
By myownalias
My point is that despite the Renault/Red Bull issues now; come Melbourne, it could be a very different story... I wouldn't bet against Newey & Co finding a solution when it counts.

My prediction is that come season start; McLaren, Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari will all be fighting for the podium.
By CookinFlat6
Merc and Ferrari have the works advantage and are already ahead of RBR. RBR not only have to redesign and reinstall their engine, they then have to catch up with those teams running those engines.
Caterhams solution is best so far - massive (non tight packaged) air flow for cooling (directly inverse to aero efficiency)
RBR are not able to design the car they want, they have to design the car that works with the Power unit designed for 4 different teams in mind.
RBR are not a Ferrari, McLaren or Merc with years of racing experience or pedigree. The are a newish customer team with a shrinking talent pool. Newey has no magic bullet for an engine dominated formula.

There is no evidence that RBr will be any better than any of the other Renault customers

just look what happened to Mclaren and ferrari in 2009 when they got the new regs wrong, and they have been racing for a lot longer than RBR
I do find it hard to bet against RBR, given that they have history of being slow starters and then progressing to domination by mid-season. However this year, I just think that 5 years in a row is unlikely - definitely achievable, but unlikely. I think it'll be between Ferrari and Mercedes this year.
By RyRy
I do find it hard to bet against RBR, given that they have history of being slow starters and then progressing to domination by mid-season. However this year, I just think that 5 years in a row is unlikely - definitely achievable, but unlikely. I think it'll be between Ferrari and Mercedes this year.

So have McLaren in the past, I personally think Mercedes have it in the bag on both WCC and WDC but for sure Ferrari appear to be the ones who will push Mercedes.
By Jabberwocky
What if the Renault engine its 2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else but is very unreliable. That would keep you on the edge of your seats. Every puff of smoke and you will be convinced the red bull is going to pop any second but does it!?!

Sent using NCC-1701
By NHcheese
N
What if the Renault engine its 2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else but is very unreliable. That would keep you on the edge of your seats. Every puff of smoke and you will be convinced the red bull is going to pop any second but does it!?!

Sent using NCC-1701
]

No, that would be torture. watching Vettel lead. hoping he breaks down. but doesn't.

See our F1 related articles too!