FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

What will the quali stats look like at the end of the season?

Lewis style, Button will only qualify higher if Mag has a problem
31%
Close with Button faster on average
31%
Sergio style, They will be close, with Mag edging it
19%
Other (explain)
19%
:rofl: ... however Ron likes to twist it. It was Lewis' decision to leave McLaren and join Mercedes. And money wasn't the deciding factor, I understand McLaren matched the financial offer.

Out of curiousity, is this an example of the "Ronspeak" Dennis is famous for?
And... if I remember correctly, wasn't there an issue with the trophies won
and who gets to keep them? :confused:

Yes there was an issue. Lewis wanted the originals but McLaren always keep the originals....even the ones won in the WDC. It irked Hamilton but I don't think he would have left McLaren over that. I think ultimately the package Merc could offer with the change in regs that was coming was simply too good to turn down. And things like offering him less money than button, trophies, engineers focusing on Jenson etc, were irritations that helped make his mind up, but not the deciding factors.
You must have not worked out yet that apart from the original contract signed when Button first joined up (when he was as you said WDC - yet the wage was lower than Lewis') - 2 years later Whitmarsh increased his wage to 16 mill in a NEW contract, just before he proposed cutting Hamiltons contract to 12 mill.

Sometimes its better to gather the facts that are freely available before arguing a case :thumbup:

Oh that must have been so hard for him living on only £12 million year... Plus advertising revenue... (Yes I get what you're saying about the weird random pay switch)
You must have not worked out yet that apart from the original contract signed when Button first joined up (when he was as you said WDC - yet the wage was lower than Lewis') - 2 years later Whitmarsh increased his wage to 16 mill in a NEW contract, just before he proposed cutting Hamiltons contract to 12 mill.

Sometimes its better to gather the facts that are freely available before arguing a case :thumbup:

Oh that must have been so hard for him living on only £12 million year... Plus advertising revenue... (Yes I get what you're saying about the weird random pay switch)

It's the principal not the amount.
Yes there was an issue. Lewis wanted the originals but McLaren always keep the originals....even the ones won in the WDC. It irked Hamilton but I don't think he would have left McLaren over that. I think ultimately the package Merc could offer with the change in regs that was coming was simply too good to turn down. And things like offering him less money than button, trophies, engineers focusing on Jenson etc, were irritations that helped make his mind up, but not the deciding factors.

Personally, I don't think that the Team should keep the WDC trophy!!
If it's that important to them, they should have a replica made to show off!!

As for Hamilton's decision, it's obvious he's happy where he is, regardless of
what the factors were. To be honest, I think he needed to venture out on
his own, rather than be "protected" by his two "Dads"!

Good for him!! :thumbup:

Yes I agree. It was a good move for Hamilton for many reasons.
And I also think the drivers should get the drivers trophies but McLaren keep them and give the drivers the replicas. It's always been that way
This is the first time I'm hearing that Lewis was offered a contract with a pay LOWER than Button's....did this happen in 2012? From what I understood, they wanted to slash his pay, but LOWER than the other guy who was struggling for grip and talking out of his ar$e every race weekend? :rolleyes:

If I were in Lewis' position and that happened to me, it wouldn't even be a discussion and I wouldn't need to 'take time to go to Phuket' or wherever to think it over.
As I remember it, button had negotiated his contract the year prior and had moved onto the same salary as hamilton( I think about 15K) and when Lewis began negotiations he was offered 12k which would have put him lower than button. Poor economic climate was given as a reason ( it was poor when buttons got raised to 15K). I'm not one little bit surprised Hamilton looked elsewhere, what with that and all the other crap...and when he looked he struck gold!! :)
Have a look at these 2 articles

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/jenson-button-promises-no-mind-771870
http://sport.uk.msn.com/f1/news/hamilton-underestimated-button-whitmarsh

Speaking to the September edition of the JA on F1 podcast (which you can download here), Ramirez said: “Times have changed. I don’t know if it is all the media or the razzmatazz about Formula 1 now that it’s so much difficult for the driver to accept that he’s lost.

“Obviously that decision of who’s going to have the rear wing between Hamilton and Button was discussed among everybody. It’s not that there was only one rear wing, there were two, they were for both. But he decided that he was going to race with that. So he couldn’t live with that and shut up, no, he had to show the world why he’s lost, why his team-mate beat him.

“Perhaps it’s a little bit of political inside fight in the head between them. Maybe Button said ‘well, he didn’t like the other wing so much and he preferred that [high-downforce one] ‘– which was the wrong one – because I think Button is probably more clever on the car than Hamilton is.

“Hamilton is without a doubt much quicker but Button has shown many times, especially last year, that [it’s] not simple to be the quickest one is going to win races. So you need to have everything. “

This post doesnt even mention Button, let alone Mag :whip:

This post doesnt even mention Button, let alone Mag :whip:

No, it doesn't, eh? :thumbup:
It wasn't even close, what an embarrassment for :duckie:

Ron Dennis burst out into smiles everytime Kevin completed a lap today, obviously he's just waiting to offload the dead duck asap and get another driver in when Honda arrives.
Boiler man is saying Mag likes an aggressive car, likes it on the edge. maybe they will start listening to Mag after that performance.

Mag said in his interview that the car was great.

These conditions were ones that suit Button and he was completely beaten by Mag.
What a start to his F1 carreer! equalled Lewis first quali session I believe.
The good thing about it is that Ron was smilling way before the yellow flag that provided an excuse for Button. Mag was much quicker through quali and consistent.

If it wasnt for Mag and say Perez was there, we would see both cars out of q2 and Button complaining of no grip. No excuses with Mag in the other car

See our F1 related articles too!