FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Which is the stronger driver pairing?

Magnussen and Button
36%
Perez and Hulkenburg
64%
All I'm going to say is that I've given my perspective and I'm sticking to it - to repeat - once in the race and past qualifying, Schumacher did compete very well, he had a number of nip and tuck battles with much much younger drivers who certainly did not find him to be easy meat. The merc was an 'alright' car whilst he was in it, but not one of the top ones. Had he sorted out his qualifying performances, he would have been substantially closer to Rosberg in the points. Yes he did make a few mistakes, but show me any driver (again regardless of age) that wouldn't do the same after having taken a 3+ year break from any form of competitive racing.

A lot of people on here are extremely naive of the effect that time removed from racing has on a driver.

And some people try to build a case on 1 set of stats. Take this for example ...... the last 9 WDC's were won by drivers under 30. Does that stat alone mean an older driver cannot compete? Of course not, but it is an indication that F1 is increasingly becoming a young man's sport and that experience, long the advantage older driver's has, is now being gained at an earlier age.
Well the team bosses rate Hulkenburg ablove Button with 3 times the points in the TP Autosport poll

Therefore Mag will have to be better than Hulkenburg from the start for the Mac pairing to be stronger. Big ask for a rookie. He will have to be much better than Lewis was in 2007, considering his lack of experience due to lack of testing and not having won GP2 which is closer to F1 than Renault series.

I just cant see how the FI pairing on paper is anything but superior. No one can have proof that Mag is much better than Lewis was in 2007.
Well said elfinitty

sometimes we have to just go with our instincts on things. Force India may have passed up the opportunity to have a Lewis style rookie come second or they may have made their decisions based on common sense. Hulkenburg is tried and tested and deemed much better bet that Button. Perez who showed the potential to match or better Button next season and comes with 15 mill and years experience in F1.
On the other side you have Button who is not that good at adapting or evolving, a driver who is said to be good when conditions and car are perfect at a time when the cars have been regulated to be completely unprecedented, unpredictable and challenging. And to partner Button you have a rookie who has not driven in GP2 and will have a big learning curve.

Lets find out next year if McLaren have suddenly got something right, when they have screwed every other decision up it the past few years. Lets find out if they have suddenly stopped making rash gambles
All I know is if I were team boss for 2014, I'd prefer to be in Mallya's shoes right now. He's got the better driver pairing and Mercedes are going to treat FI as their secondary team since they have a long term commitment while McLaren have officially become a huge threat (not from a sporting POV, but due to Honda incoming/espionage which Mclaren aren't new to/etc).

See our F1 related articles too!