FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Which is the stronger driver pairing?

Magnussen and Button
36%
Perez and Hulkenburg
64%
But how many in the last thirty years have been over 35yrs of age?

I think now more than ever, a drivers fitness comes into play, and it's easier to stay fitter if you're younger. That said there are plenty of very fit over 35 year old athletes, but it must be harder to maintain it, must require huge amounts of drive and commitment. And on that I'd question Raikkonen.

But I don't think age will be the deciding factor next year on how this partnership fares, I think it will be ego driven. Alonso may kick off if Kimi is faster, Kimi may give up if Alonso is faster.

In F1? Well going by the list 6 were 35 or over. However much of that is due to how relatively few over-35's are actually in the series - they can't win it if they aren't in it, and they aren't in it because of the unhealthy addiction to youth, not for any factual based reason.

In other series? Huge numbers, because the seats are not dominated by young drivers.

The thing is that racing in 90 - 120 minute races is about mainly endurance type fitness, and most sports that involve endurance training are actually dominated by over 30's. It isn't a coincidence that many runners, for example, go from 10k, to half marathon, to marathon the older they get, and tend to not hit their peak until their mid - late 30's. That's true of most sports where endurance is a major factor.
Schumacher, considered by many to be one of the best, couldn't compete with youth. I thought we were talking specifically F1 here. Yes, in other series older racers do well.
I'm sorry? Magnussen is better tha Perez AND Hulkenberg. by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

R. OK that was quite a bit exagerated and not proven yet.

What has Maggie actually done? He won Formula Renault? Wow!!! :clap:
I want to say that the strongest pairing is now Alonso & Raikonnen. :hehe:

Initially I want to agree, but I am beginning to worry that age (Kimi and Fred) is beginning to come into play. I don't know. :shrug:

This is nonsense. Alonso is currently 32, and Kimi 34.

WDC's / ages (30 or over) in past 30 years of F1:

1992 - Nigel Mansell - 39
1993 - Alain Prost - 38
1996 - Damon Hill - 36
1984 - Niki Lauda - 35
2004 - Michael Schumacher - 35
1987 - Nelson Piquet - 35
2003 - Michael Schumacher - 34
1989 - Alain Prost - 34
2002 - Michael Schumacher - 33
2001 - Michael Schumacher - 32
2000 - Michael Schumacher - 31
1999 - Mika Hakkinen - 31
1991 - Ayrton Senna - 31
1983 - Nelson Piquet - 31
1986 - Alain Prost - 31
1998 - Mika Hakkinen - 30
1990 - Ayrton Senna - 30
1985 - Alain Prost - 30

So in the past 30 years, 18 of those past 31 WDC titles have been won by drivers aged 30 or over - i.e. more than half of those won. Indeed if it weren't for Vettel / Red Bull in the past 4 years, the statistics would be even more in favour of the experienced racers.

For a racing driver in general, the strains only begin to really tell once a driver is in their 40's, and indeed for some not until their 50's. It's only post-2000 F1's unhealthy addiction to youth that slants people in favour of thinking that you're on the scrap heap as a racer once you're in your 30's. Literally no other top level racing series that I know of has this same irrelevant weird age related issue.

I applaud Ferrari for having this driver partnership, they've went substantially up in my estimation by doing this. Possibly my favourite Ferrari partnership since Berger / Alesi. If they can gel then they are unquestionably the strongest partnership on the grid.

Jeez don't get your panties in a knot. Now first eliminate all results under the age of 33, how many of those left were in a less than dominant car?
Schumacher, considered by many to be one of the best, couldn't compete with youth. I thought we were talking specifically F1 here. Yes, in other series older racers do well.

Yes he could and did compete - he wasn't in a car capable of competing for wins, but in race situations he competed very well with Rosberg, and indeed with pretty much everybody else on the grid.

Initially I want to agree, but I am beginning to worry that age (Kimi and Fred) is beginning to come into play. I don't know. :shrug:

1993 - Alain Prost - 38
1996 - Damon Hill - 36
1984 - Niki Lauda - 35
1989 - Alain Prost - 34
1991 - Ayrton Senna - 31
1986 - Alain Prost - 31
1990 - Ayrton Senna - 30
1985 - Alain Prost - 30

So in the past 30 years, 18 of those past 31 WDC titles have been won by drivers aged 30 or over - i.e. more than half of those won. Indeed if it weren't for Vettel / Red Bull in the past 4 years, the statistics would be even more in favour of the experienced racers.

For a racing driver in general, the strains only begin to really tell once a driver is in their 40's, and indeed for some not until their 50's. It's only post-2000 F1's unhealthy addiction to youth that slants people in favour of thinking that you're on the scrap heap as a racer once you're in your 30's. Literally no other top level racing series that I know of has this same irrelevant weird age related issue.

I applaud Ferrari for having this driver partnership, they've went substantially up in my estimation by doing this. Possibly my favourite Ferrari partnership since Berger / Alesi. If they can gel then they are unquestionably the strongest partnership on the grid.

Jeez don't get your panties in a knot. Now first eliminate all results under the age of 33, how many of those left were in a less than dominant car?

Trust me, my panties aren't in a knot - I am probably the forum member most capable of staying calm and rational on this whole forum, and have been for the past 5 years...

The issue regarding who was or wasn't in a dominant car isn't in any way relevant to the discussion because you can turn it on its head and say how many of ANY WDC's in the past 30 years have been in a less than dominant car, or in one of the two dominant teams when there has been roughly equality (such as, say, McLaren & Ferrari for 2007 & 2008). I would say in total that would include:

Schumacher in 1995, Hakkinen in 1999, and possibly Alonso in 2006... I honestly can't think of a single other one.

In other words, team is VERY important, age - not so much (until late 30's - mid 40's at least).

Yes he could and did compete - he wasn't in a car capable of competing for wins, but in race situations he competed very well with Rosberg, and indeed with pretty much everybody else on the grid.

Rosberg beat him fairly conclusively I'd say.

Are you serious?? He spent a lot of the time making mistakes and forgetting which button on his wheel to press. How long did he take to get the hang of kers?

Definitely his 'slowness to adapt' interfered with his natural ability. Take his only pole at Monaco, what happened next? He only started to show his real ability towards the end of his time at Merc

If anything points to age/rustiness MS did it.

F1 is not like other racing series, mainly because of the physicality involved in the constant cornering and amount of downforce. The neck muscles are an example. Its less endurance and more 'kart' like than LMP for example. Age beyond the athletic peak must be considered a factor in F1

1993 - Alain Prost - 38
1996 - Damon Hill - 36
1984 - Niki Lauda - 35
1989 - Alain Prost - 34
1991 - Ayrton Senna - 31
1986 - Alain Prost - 31
1990 - Ayrton Senna - 30
1985 - Alain Prost - 30

Trust me, my panties aren't in a knot - I am probably the forum member most capable of staying calm and rational on this whole forum, and have been for the past 5 years...

The issue regarding who was or wasn't in a dominant car isn't in any way relevant to the discussion because you can turn it on its head and say how many of ANY WDC's in the past 30 years have been in a less than dominant car, or in one of the two dominant teams when there has been roughly equality (such as, say, McLaren & Ferrari for 2007 & 2008). I would say in total that would include:

Schumacher in 1995, Hakkinen in 1999, and possibly Alonso in 2006... I honestly can't think of a single other one.

In other words, team is VERY important, age - not so much (until late 30's - mid 40's at least).

Wow. Don't pat yourself on the back too much. Why not award yourself a trophy instead? :rofl:

Hey, zurich, for future reference:

:smallthumbup: Note: Schumi won most of his title in a Ferrari, which already puts him in a bad light!
:smallthumbup: Note: The excuse / rationalization / explanation of a less than dominant car can be
used by any driver, except one that drives/drove for Ferrari!

Just saying! :thumbup:
He was in a Merc not a Ferrari when he was trounced by Rosberg.

Oh, I know that!!

But, it seems that some "F1 fans" consider driving for Ferrari as being the kiss of death!
It will be interesting to see what happens with Massa, this year!

I have often wondered where a different driver may well have won more titles for Ferrari in that era.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
All I'm going to say is that I've given my perspective and I'm sticking to it - to repeat - once in the race and past qualifying, Schumacher did compete very well, he had a number of nip and tuck battles with much much younger drivers who certainly did not find him to be easy meat. The merc was an 'alright' car whilst he was in it, but not one of the top ones. Had he sorted out his qualifying performances, he would have been substantially closer to Rosberg in the points. Yes he did make a few mistakes, but show me any driver (again regardless of age) that wouldn't do the same after having taken a 3+ year break from any form of competitive racing.

A lot of people on here are extremely naive of the effect that time removed from racing has on a driver.

See our F1 related articles too!