FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

What do you feel is best for the sport?

Two marquee name drivers in one team.
46%
One Marquee name driver and one good enough back up.
54%
There are four marquee drivers on the grid. Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen. Any of which a team can make a championship run with given the right foundation. My question is, do we really want to see a team with two of these names in it or has the sport evolved to the point where the realization that a number one and a number two driver is the best formula to win both championships?

Would love to know what the prevailing thought on the topic is.

My opinion? I'd rather see a prime and secondary driver stratergy. History is full of examples why it's not always a good idea. But my position against it is because it would prevent us from seeing a good number two driver from developing into a franchise talent. It would prevent us from seeing a true challenge as we saw in 2007 with McLaren's unexpected surprise. I'd much rather see Ricciardo come into Red Bull and take the fight to Seb than I would Kimi or Alonso go there and bring with them a political power game.
Will one, Juan, be the number one in formula one, juan, when one is no longer number one in formula one, juan? - This thread's title :hehe:
I probably am not the best person to be offering an opinion on this topic for a couple of reasons!
First, I'm relatively new to F1 (and I have a mind like a sieve when it comes to remembering who
did what, when they did it, where or to whom!!

Secondly, as a Tifosa I have bought into the 1-2 combination, hook line and sinker!!

Having said that, I've tried to watch and learn from the "human factor" by observing reactions and
interactions between and amongst the drivers. Watching McLaren implode that fateful season was
not pleasant. I think that entire situation was mishandled by the egos involved, as it seemed that
everyone took a stance and held their ground in a fight to the death, for lack of a better term!!
I understand that competition can be a motivator; but, in that case it seemed to be a situation
where "divide and conquer" blew up in their faces!

I guess I see F1 as a team sport and there really is no "I" in team!! It believe the team's fundamental
goal should be to win BOTH titles and to do it with the most likely/probably driver to win the WDC!
IF a team is lucky enough to have two drivers fighting side by side and are 1-2 in the standings, then
yes, waiting until it's mathematically impossible for one to win it and then having the other support
him, is the way to go!! However, IF it's obvious that one driver is the more likely driver to win, then
the team INCLUDING the other driver SHOULD back that driver with a very important SUPPORTING
roll to the teammate!!

Well, that's my Image!!
Last edited by sagi58 on 30 Jul 13, 12:18, edited 2 times in total.
I find that really hard to vote on. I'd love to see any of those top four against each other in the same equipment. But I also like the idea of a top driver each for the top teams. But if it was the latter, it would have to be with a proviso that the second driver in that team always gets a fair crack of the whip and doesn't have to buckle under in support at the beginning of the season.....and if it turns out he's as fast or faster, he doesn't have to buckle under at all.
So I can't really vote, because I'd need guarantees to go with my votes.
Will one, Juan, be the number one in formula one, juan, when one is no longer number one in formula one, juan? - This thread's title :hehe:

I tried :wink:

Image Oh! Oh! Can I help?

Try this: Two #1 drivers VS a #1-#2 Team?

((p.s. I actually like YOURS, better!! :wavey: ))
This is the quote I was trying for.

Rising number one of Formula 1, Juan - Juan, one wonders should Juan only win one Formula 1 one year, would Juan have won that one in round one, Juan?

I just randomly wrote down what I vaguely remembered. :hehe:
Two top over ego'd drivers in one team is far more interesting and topic enhancing but it's not exactly the way to win championships unless the car is so good it can still win when the two drivers are screwing each other over.
Good question. I think it is all down to good management and the luck of the gods.

Any driver worth his salt would not agree to be a number 2 driver (unless they are a rookie)

I think that is what got Webber when he felt his team has placed him in the number 2 slot. I think this year he signed again to beat Seb so he could put his 2 fingers up to Red Bull however that has not happened.

The trouble with having 2 top line drivers is that keeping them both from thinking they are being cast as the number 2 and being treated unfairly. Something that Mclaren was good at in the Ron Dennis days. Look at Prost and Senna line up. However it will always end in tears. Drivers ego's will easily dented and are sensitive to percieved unfairness.

Maybe the best way to do it is to have 2 top line drivers but only sign them for 2 years each and stagger them. So they team up for a year with someone then moves on that would be easier to manage.

Sent from Turing Colossus using Tapatalk 2
It's pretty simple, a team with clear #1 and #2 drivers have the best chance of constructors and drivers titles because all their eggs are put into one basket, everyone working for the common goal. Two #1 drivers will often create conflict and disharmony in the team and of course two #1's would constantly take points off each other.
It worked out well for Senna and Prost (Ish)

See our F1 related articles too!