FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

What should be the fall-out from Pirelli's latest gaffe?

Pirelli should be dropped at the end of the season.
No votes
0%
Pirelli should revert back to 2012-spec tires.
47%
The role of tire supplier should be shared.
13%
An organised tire test should be arranged for later this season.
20%
A new supplier should be found mid-season.
No votes
0%
Pirelli will leave F1 and blame the FIA.
7%
Nothing, Pirelli is not at fault.
13%
Nothing - this is all part of the excitement and good for show.
No votes
0%
I see that this leave the sport in a bit of a pickle.

Pirelli are going to want out after this weekend, motor racing with no tires would just not work. So right not F1 need Pirelli than Pirelli needs F1.

So what is the FIA/F1 going to do to keep Pirelli
Invent hover technology, no need for tyres at all!

As Jabberwocky said, F1 needs Pirelli unless there is some secret deal with Michelin or Bridgestone in the pipeline? No other manufacturers can be ready for the start of the 2015 season, let alone 2014. This is massive shortsightedness from the FiA, this is why a single tyre maker is a bad idea, there is no fallback plan, Pirelli basically have the FiA by the gonads.

I say revert to 2012 spec tyres from the choices, the other options don't work, even with a test between now and Germany, Pirelli won't be able to manufacture any new tyres before the weekend, and I doubt that they can manufacture and ship 2012 spec tyres before Germany either! For Germany, we are stuck with the current tyre.
I say the FiA should start with an apology to Pirelli for their reprimand in the tribunal and that the FiA should pay all legal costs. :D

Yes. And to Mercedes too for trying to help. Bernie is now saying teams need to come forward with this years cars for Pirelli to test with. Laughable isn't it!!!! Well you'd cry otherwise!
How's it laughable? Is he not just reiterating the rules? I thought there was a procedure in place if a team wants to carry out a tyre test using their current car.

Adrian Newey's view is quite interesting.

http://www.formula1blog.com/2013/07/01/newey-slams-dissenting-teams-on-exploding-tire-debacle/

It’s a sad state of affairs but such is the nature of Formula 1, really. It’s been fairly clear that there’s been a number of worrying tyre failures through the year. Pirelli came up with a solution for that, with a different construction, and that was being offered initially for Montreal. But two or three teams vetoed that because they were worried it would suit some other teams more than it would suit them. As a result of that short-sightedness, Formula 1 ended up putting up the worrying performance it did [at Silverstone] and concerns about driver safety.
Adrian Newey's view is quite interesting.

http://www.formula1blog.com/2013/07/01/newey-slams-dissenting-teams-on-exploding-tire-debacle/

It’s a sad state of affairs but such is the nature of Formula 1, really. It’s been fairly clear that there’s been a number of worrying tyre failures through the year. Pirelli came up with a solution for that, with a different construction, and that was being offered initially for Montreal. But two or three teams vetoed that because they were worried it would suit some other teams more than it would suit them. As a result of that short-sightedness, Formula 1 ended up putting up the worrying performance it did [at Silverstone] and concerns about driver safety.

There is also the issue of Pirelli refusing to call it a safety issue; which meant that teams could veto the change of tyre design, if it's a safety concern, teams have no veto!

See our F1 related articles too!