FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Should there be points awarded for fastest lap and/or pole position?

Yes, for pole
30%
Yes, for Fastest Lap
No votes
0%
Yes, for both
10%
No, not at all
60%
After Mercedes took the front row today, and the subsequent majority of the F1 fans saying that they would immediately drop back out of contention in the race (like me :P ), I immediately reminded myself of a conversation a friend of mine had on a similar topic, this time when Rosberg took pole in Bahrain. He was complaining that everyone is so obsessed with pole position, considering that since the tires wear out so easily, he thought it was better to preserve tires and start the race on a fresh pair rather than cook the tires and start with used tires on pole position. Although we still haven't agreed on that front, he had a suggestion that, he claimed, would solve the problem entirely - 5 or so points for pole position. That way, he thought, more people would aim for the points and be more competitive, he thought. (He also suggested giving about 2 points for fastest lap to compensate those who end the race on fresh tires since their strategies backfired.) I'm still undecided on that front, but I think it raises a good question: Should there be points awarded for fastest lap and/or pole position?
I think fast lap is all circumstantial and somewhat meaningless really. As long as it's only one point for pole, I'm okay with that and would certainly make Saturday and the last 3 minutes of Q3 more interesting.
I've nothing against there being some form of recognition for it but not points.

A special pole sitters Crown?
Points for overtakes at NON-DRS zones. Now that'd liven things up a bit.
2 points for fastest lap if you're in the top 10 drivers. If you're out of the top ten then it doesn't count, goes to next fastest.
2 points for pole position, 5 for a front row lockout (2.5 each). Extra point if you're fastest in all three qualifying rounds, extra 3 points if you lockout front row in all three qualifying rounds.
2 points if you're fastest in all three practice sessions
Extra 15 points if you're fastest if every every single session of the weekend including all the qualifying rounds.

Sent from my Nexus 10
Pole yes, fastest lap no. Fastest lap is just about who pits latest for the lat se new tyres these days.
2 points for fastest lap if you're in the top 10 drivers. If you're out of the top ten then it doesn't count, goes to next fastest.
2 points for pole position, 5 for a front row lockout (2.5 each). Extra point if you're fastest in all three qualifying rounds, extra 3 points if you lockout front row in all three qualifying rounds.
2 points if you're fastest in all three practice sessions
Extra 15 points if you're fastest if every every single session of the weekend including all the qualifying rounds.

Sent from my Nexus 10

We'd have to run a regression analysis on our excel spreadsheets to keep up with this. :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!