Hermann Tilke - His finest circuit?

Which circuit designed by Hermann Tilke is your favourite?

Sepang, Malaysia
39%
Shanghai International Circuit, China
No votes
Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir
6%
Marina Bay Circuit, Singapore
No votes
Korea International Circuit, Yeongam
No votes
Buddh International Circuit, India
No votes
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi
No votes
Circuit of the Americas, Texas
33%
Istanbul Park Circuit, Turkey
22%
Hockenheim Ring, Germany
No votes

Total votes: 18

LewEngBridewell
DD owns my a$$
Favourite Team: McLaren

Hermann Tilke - His finest circuit?

Post by LewEngBridewell »

What with the onset of the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang, I thought I'd see what members' thought of Tilke's circuits, and which one they thought of as his best.

Since 1999, Tilke's circuits have filled an increasing amount of slots in the calendar, and this has received a mixed response from fans and drivers alike. However, there was no doubting that in 2012, a number of his circuits played host to some of that season's more entertaining races.

But his BEST circuit? VOTE!
Race wins: 181 Drivers' titles: 12 Constructors' titles: 8
Fantasy F1 Team = Bridewell Palace Racing
Hammer278
Banned
Favourite Driver: The best in Formula 1.
Favourite Team: BMW DTM

Re: Hermann Tilke - His finest circuit?

Post by Hammer278 »

Malaysia for the racing aspect and the double straights, its a cool layout.

But Shanghai comes close for me, especially in the games, that awesome right hander which throws you onto that long back straight...and the first corner, awesome.
Breaking News: Lewis Hamilton has officially overtaken The Fonz in race wins. With 88 races less. Lol (Without a specially built blown diffuser, illegal front wing, preferential treatment)
1Lemon
Favourite Driver: The Finnish driver that actually talks
Favourite Team: Williams Grand Prix Engineering

Post by 1Lemon »

The road to retirement is his finest circuit!
Mark my words, Bottas will be world champion by 2020 - Me 24/11/14

"Inherently, we at Williams just want to win races. We love going motor racing, we have a real passion for it and that never diminishes." Claire Williams
Jabberwocky
Mod
Favourite Driver: 5 Iron
Favourite Team: Williams

Post by Jabberwocky »

I think everyone complains about tilke but most of the classic tracks just happened, where as new tracks are synthetic, so maybe tilke is just the Pete Waterman of the racing world... I don't see anyone else building good racetracks
A racing car that does not win, is just art
darwin dali
Forum Queen

Post by darwin dali »

Austin is pretty cool...
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
stonemonkey
Missing Mod
Favourite Driver: Bernie
Favourite Team: Connaught

Post by stonemonkey »

Jabberwocky wrote:I think everyone complains about tilke but most of the classic tracks just happened, where as new tracks are synthetic, so maybe tilke is just the Pete Waterman of the racing world... I don't see anyone else building good racetracks

tilke tries to be too clever in the design of the circuits imo designing each turn to be a specific challenge that can only be taken one way, even with the width of Sepang that's not eased.
To use my phone in the car I deleted all my German contacts, it's now Hans free.
darwin dali
Forum Queen

Post by darwin dali »

stonemonkey wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:I think everyone complains about tilke but most of the classic tracks just happened, where as new tracks are synthetic, so maybe tilke is just the Pete Waterman of the racing world... I don't see anyone else building good racetracks

tilke tries to be too clever in the design of the circuits imo designing each turn to be a specific challenge that can only be taken one way, even with the width of Sepang that's not eased.

I don't think that's true for turn 1 in Austin.
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
What's Burning?
Banned
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1

Post by What's Burning? »

Watched Austin the other day in a Grand-Am race and it's a circuit that will in time be considered one of, if not his finest.
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
stonemonkey
Missing Mod
Favourite Driver: Bernie
Favourite Team: Connaught

Post by stonemonkey »

darwin dali wrote:
stonemonkey wrote:

I don't think that's true for turn 1 in Austin.

There are some exceptions, probably on all his circuits but he needs to throw away his ruler and compasses. I feel that part of the reason for the need for pirelli to engineer the tyres the way they have is down to tilkes circuits.
To use my phone in the car I deleted all my German contacts, it's now Hans free.
What's Burning?
Banned
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1

Post by What's Burning? »

see my comment up there ^^ in the Grand-Am race, there was lots and lots and lots of passing, a lot also in places where F1 cars dare not pass so it's not the circuit.
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
racechick
Missing Mod
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas

Post by racechick »

Austin. Not really a fan of many of his tracks but thought Austin was excellent. Followed by Istanbul Park. That's a great track too.
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abe Lincoln

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abe Lincoln
LewEngBridewell
DD owns my a$$
Favourite Team: McLaren

Post by LewEngBridewell »

What's Burning? wrote:Watched Austin the other day in a Grand-Am race and it's a circuit that will in time be considered one of, if not his finest.

Yes. Really enjoyed the Austin GP last season, and thought it was a brilliant return to the USA. Just the sort of circuit we need, and hopefully, it'll continue to provide us with great racing.
Race wins: 181 Drivers' titles: 12 Constructors' titles: 8
Fantasy F1 Team = Bridewell Palace Racing
LRW
Banned
Favourite Driver: H.A.M
Favourite Team: AMG P-Dog

Post by LRW »

I liked Austin last year - and I actually like Yas Marina too - always seem to enjoy the race there.

And both are very fun to drive on the Xbox. Love the last few corners, under the hotel, at Yas Marina .... AND its got a tunnel!! A frickin' TUNNEL on the pit exit - there should be more tunnels in F1.

I had voted Austin - but now I think about it, I should of voted Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi.
Frontrunner
Favourite Driver: Daniel Ricciardo, Mark Webber

Post by Frontrunner »

As for watching GP's I would say Malaysia is my pick, then Singapore and maybe then Austin, the track looks like it will put up some good races. But as for racing on Codemasters F1 games i would give it to Singapore as its the most challenging and longest GP in time duration which makes its more harder mentally. I also enjoy Korea and Abu Dhabi but not so much as a TV viewing.
####2013 FORUMULA1.COM POOL CHAMPION####
LRW
Banned
Favourite Driver: H.A.M
Favourite Team: AMG P-Dog

Post by LRW »

Frontrunner wrote:As for watching GP's I would say Malaysia is my pick, then Singapore and maybe then Austin, the track looks like it will put up some good races. But as for racing on Codemasters F1 games i would give it to Singapore as its the most challenging and longest GP in time duration which makes its more harder mentally. I also enjoy Korea and Abu Dhabi but not so much as a TV viewing.

I would totally agree Singapore is the hardest one on codemasters (esp in the rain) - it always effects my championship challenge - and thats why I hate it! :hehe: