FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Who will be the F1 2012 World Drivers Champion?

Fernando Alonso
26%
Mark Webber
6%
Lewis Hamilton
40%
Sebastian Vettel
20%
Nico Rosberg
No votes
0%
Kimi Raikkonen
3%
Romain Grosjean
3%
Jenson Button
3%
Other (please state in comment below)
No votes
0%
But take that lot, Jeez just take half of that lot, and without it he'd have a substantial lead.

Yeah... if you completely ignored other driver's misfortunes! :hehe:

Yep. Red Bull have cocked up their tyre strategy a couple of times as have Ferrari.
]conveniently avoiding the fact that Hamilton has had the major brunt of it this season.

If you are talking cockups then no doubt Hamilton has lost out big time.

Read my freaking posts in future thanks. That would be more convenient for us all.

But of the title contenders, nowhere near the amount Lewis has lost.

'Nowhere near' in your opinion, but in the view of a very numerous amount of other people, it's not actually some vast chasm of points difference as appears to be the claim.

butthurt? really? :hehe:

Given all the complaining you see... yep, i'm afraid so in my view. I mean, i make one damn small point and get it in the neck from all angles! :hehe:
Only a blind man would say hamilton's woes are similar to other competitors this year, he's on a different scale..hell he's off the scale!!
If that is in response to me - again, read what i actually said, thanks!
But take that lot, Jeez just take half of that lot, and without it he'd have a substantial lead.

Which is my point; Lewis isn't the only driver to suffer misfortunes in the first eight races, Vettel has had two retirements while in strong podium positions, which is just one example; Mclaren have screwed up in pitstops and strategy but have had better reliability than some others, notably Red Bull! If no-one had crashes or reliability issues, Lewis wouldn't be leading the championship!

Which is my point; Lewis isn't the only driver to suffer misfortunes in the first eight races, Vettel has had two retirements while in strong podium positions, which is just one example; Mclaren have screwed up in pitstops and strategy but have had better reliability than some others, notably Red Bull! If no-one had crashes or reliability issues, Lewis wouldn't be leading the championship!

Is he though? Leading?
Plus it's a team sport overall, you can reasonably say that if Lewis had been in a HRT or McLaren had made a car equivalent to the HRT he'd be nowhere near the championship, a driver is dependent on his (or her) team building a fast car in a similar way to how they're dependent on giving them a good strategy, or changing their tyres quickly, or giving them a reliable car.

---

Is he though? Leading?

Nope, Alonso is leading, but I think myownalias meant in response to the scenario where we can discount Lewis's bad luck and he would be leading the championship, if we take that scenario and discount bad luck for other drivers Lewis wouldn't be leading.
Last edited by vaptin on 02 Jul 12, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
That's the thing though, it's not car reliability issues and the car and driver have been performing well. The problem's been failing jacks, clumsy wheelgunmen and a dopey fuel filler. Mclaren should have been able to take advantage of being ahead with their car at the start of the season while others have car/reliability issues but they've thrown that away with stupid mistakes.
That's the thing though, it's not car reliability issues and the car and driver have been performing well. The problem's been failing jacks, clumsy wheelgunmen and a dopey fuel filler. Mclaren should have been able to take advantage of being ahead with their car at the start of the season while others have car/reliability issues but they've thrown that away with stupid mistakes.

:yes::yes::clap: Ah! The voice of reason! I thought I was going mad here.
Plus it's a team sport overall, you can reasonably say that if Lewis had been in a HRT or McLaren had made a car equivalent to the HRT he'd be nowhere near the championship, a driver is dependent on his (or her) team building a fast car in a similar way to how they're dependent on giving them a good strategy, or changing their tyres quickly, or giving them a reliable car.

---

Is he though? Leading?

Nope, Alonso is leading, but I think myownalias meant in response to the scenario where we can discount Lewis's bad luck and he would be leading the championship, if we take that scenario and discount bad luck for other drivers Lewis wouldn't be leading.

There's bad luck and you could say could have should have would have... those points can be debated till you're blue in the face. A bad tire strategy by your team is not bad luck. A blown pit stops that costs you 2 spots is not bad luck. A mechanical failure when you're in 12th position is not bad luck. The back luck we're talking about is where you sit on pole yet start 24th or you're leading the race and have a mechanical failure.
If that is in response to me - again, read what i actually said, thanks!

No not just you. Anyone who cant see it.
A mechanical failure when you're in 12th position is not bad luck.

Well; that depends on what you are doing when you suffer a mechanical failure; if in 12th but charging through the field on lap 15; that could be construed as bad luck!

See our F1 related articles too!