FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Can Mercedes be challenging for both titles come the end of the season?

I think Mercedes will take at least one of the titles
4%
They will win more races but not challenge for the titles
67%
I think they will fade away as the season goes on
15%
I don't see them being able to repeat this performance
15%
lets hope it does not mean that Vettel has come on song :-(

I think NR is doing what JB did in the races last year. Plodded along nothing spectacular and then at the end was very close to the front. I think it is as Alonso is doing. Consistency will be the key to this championship
It's looking good for Nico maybe, but Mercedes in contention for the title? Nah. Especially with Schumacher's points tally at the moment.
It's looking good for Nico maybe, but Mercedes in contention for the title? Nah. Especially with Schumacher's points tally at the moment.

Agreed. msc ain't racking up an 8th this year :twisted:
I think NR is doing what JB did in the races last year. Plodded along nothing spectacular and then at the end was very close to the front. I think it is as Alonso is doing. Consistency will be the key to this championship

You do work in government! :hehe:
If Merc can stop screwing Schumacher to make Rosberg look good then they could be a contender. So much conspiracy this season. :hehe:

Seriously, if they can sort out the reliability issues then both cars would be scoring well on a regular basis. I hate to think how many points Merc have lost so far this season through reliability but it has been said that if Schumacher had finished every race in the position from which he retired, he'd be leading the championship.
If Merc can stop screwing Schumacher to make Rosberg look good then they could be a contender. So much conspiracy this season. :hehe:

Seriously, if they can sort out the reliability issues then both cars would be scoring well on a regular basis. I hate to think how many points Merc have lost so far this season through reliability but it has been said that if Schumacher had finished every race in the position from which he retired, he'd be leading the championship.

I am not sure if the leading the title race would still apply, but he sure has lost tonnes of points from reliability. I'll try to figure out exactly how many, gimme a min...
Aus - RET (running 3rd) - 15pts
Mal - Finished 10th - 1pt - i forget what else happened in this race to him
Chi - RET (running 2nd) - 18pts
Bah - Finished 10th - 1pt - HOWEVER, there was a qualifying issue so he started 22nd. He had similar pace to Rosberg who finished 5th, so an arguable 7pt loss?
Spa - RET (collision), 0pts
Mon - RET (running 7th) - 6pts
Can - RET (retired in pitstop phase but was running 8th before) - 4pts

That's not really exact at all and i know i will have missed some small things, but just gives a bit of an idea. He arguably could easily have 52 points?

I am not sure if the leading the title race would still apply, but he sure has lost tonnes of points from reliability. I'll try to figure out exactly how many, gimme a min...

I'll see if I can find the report on this. It was from last week but I'll post it once I've found it.

EDIT: Found it: Analysis shows that Schumacher could be leading title chase

It's a bit of the old could've, should've, would've but interesting reading none the less and it shows just how much bad luck he's had this season.
Aus - RET (running 3rd) - 15pts
Mal - Finished 10th - 1pt - i forget what else happened in this race to him
Chi - RET (running 2nd) - 18pts
Bah - Finished 10th - 1pt - HOWEVER, there was a qualifying issue so he started 22nd. He had similar pace to Rosberg who finished 5th, so an arguable 7pt loss?
Spa - RET (collision), 0pts
Mon - RET (running 7th) - 6pts
Can - RET (retired in pitstop phase but was running 8th before) - 4pts

That's not really exact at all and i know i will have missed some small things, but just gives a bit of an idea. He arguably could easily have 52 points?

WOW when you put it that way... He better get his act together, he's making silly mistakes and crashing a lot, maybe even abusing the car beyond its limits, he's far too experienced to let all of that happen, or he's got some personal issues going on? We'll never know. :hehe:

The Mercs would indeed be SCORING on a regular basis, but I seriously doubt they'd be winning, or even making the podium on a regular basis. They just haven't been consistently at the sharp end.
Yeah, all the convenient 'analysis' to help Schumi's reputation this year, couple of other drivers could be on 120-130 points right now if not for their bad luck.

I'm sure whitmarsh had something to do with it too cuz, you know, both teams have the name 'mercedes' in it :rofl:

maybe he wants rosberg to replace lewis :yikes::yikes::yikes:

queue racechick!! :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!