FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Can Mercedes be challenging for both titles come the end of the season?

I think Mercedes will take at least one of the titles
4%
They will win more races but not challenge for the titles
67%
I think they will fade away as the season goes on
15%
I don't see them being able to repeat this performance
15%
After this weekend, it is quite obvious that the car is capable of being the outright quickest car at a given track. They appear to have fixed their handling problems and perhaps also unlocked a little extra one lap pace.

But do you think they can maintain this, challenge elsewhere, win more races and be in the battle come October/November? Or do you think they'll fall back once their innovations are put on other cars?
My answer, i am still not convinced they have the consistency the McLaren does over a variety of different layouts, but i think they can win more races.
I think the cool temps in China helped them on the tire front tremendously, and it's not going to be long until the double DRS is sported by other cars on the grid. I'm ecstatic they're more than competitive this year, and fully expect them to do very very well in other circuits, perhaps Schumacher may get his validation on a comeback that without podiums or a win would have assured that it would be forever questioned.
I'd like to see them at more tracks, I think this track helped them as they mentioned themselves, they hit the perfect tyre window for their car due to the track temps. if they can repeat this form next weekend in the desert then I think for sure they can be a title threat.
I went for the They will win more races but not challenge for the titles option ,although I don't think they will win many more this season.think the cooler temperatures helped them big time this weekend.But they will be a major force before to much longer I have no doubt.
Thats the flippin germans for you :hehe:
Someone voted that they think they'll take a title, i'd like to hear reasoning behind your voting (for the sake of discussion) people :whip:
Like the majority it seems, at this stage, I have gone for the 2nd option. Yes the team was very strong today, unexpectedly so! But whether this form will be consistent remains to be seen. Based on the evidence of previous seasons, and the first 3 races this year, I'm yet to be convinced.
I voted for the second option. It could be that there are more players taking points off of each other that they may have a shot, but it is the year of the dragon, which Bob Varsha mentioned... All around uncertainty.. I love it.
I'm convinced this was a fluke. My guess is that the tires worked for them so well due to the low temperatures in China. I'm glad the next race is in such a different environment, so this theory will be out to the test quickly.
One swallow does not make a summer. We've had 3 races with 3 winners and 3 races where Merc' have only managed to get a good result in 1 of them. Difficult to say if they are a title competitor but I'd be leaning towards no, however they could well be a factor in the title if they can steal a few wins and get a few more good results.
I can see Mercedes getting maybe another win or two but I don't see it being consistent; as Ross Brawn admitted, today they hit the sweet spot with the tyre balance today!
NR's tires held up the longest among the contenders for the win, so I'm not sure they didn't find a good solution over the mini-break and could become a serious factor. They're already the Dark Horse anyway. And the first win can do wonders for a driver, so Nico might be able to string together a consistent series of good results with the occasional podium or even win by his rear gunner MS sprinkled in.
Yet, I voted no. 2 as well - this season will be more about 'getting there', but next year...
NR's tires held up the longest among the contenders for the win...

In addition to the colder weather, I think this was due to the fact he was in clean air more than any other driver. After the wonky pit stop, Jenson got stuck behind the huge train of people fighting for second. That must have eaten up his tires much more in relation to Nico.

Just about everything went right for him in that race, including their main competitor falling victim to a fluke airgun problem. I don't expect that will continue.
NR's tires held up the longest among the contenders for the win, so I'm not sure they didn't find a good solution over the mini-break and could become a serious factor. They're already the Dark Horse anyway. And the first win can do wonders for a driver, so Nico might be able to string together a consistent series of good results with the occasional podium or even win by his rear gunner MS sprinkled in.
Yet, I voted no. 2 as well - this season will be more about 'getting there', but next year...

You're simply setting the stage for a new paramour since Massa's on his was out the door. Also, it's far easier to maintain tires when you're not fighting to either pass people or keep people from passing you, so that contributed to the staying power of his tires. Bahrain will tell more about the Merc saga.
Any advances on this given that Rosberg was the top scorer in the 4 races leading up to Montreal, and over the last 5 races (by my quick calculation) joint top scorer alongside Vettel (67 pts each)?

See our F1 related articles too!