FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Raikkonen or Grosjean in 2012?

Raikkonen
83%
Grosjean
17%
By scotty
Who do you think will come out on top this season? On paper it may be fairly close, while Raikkonen is a proven talent (to put it mildly) he has been away for two seasons - Grosjean on the other hand has a sizeable amount of mileage on the Pirellis , and shouldn't be judged on 2009 in all fairness. VOTE! :P
This isn't as straight forward as it initially appears. In the end, I voted for Kimi Raikkonen, simply because I know that, at his best, his natural speed is phenomenal.

However, he is prone to lacklustre performances when not all is hunky dory, as we know. And, like scotty says, 2009 means nothing when analysing how good Grosjean is.
This isn't as straight forward as it initially appears. In the end, I voted for Kimi Raikkonen, simply because I know that, at his best, his natural speed is phenomenal.

However, he is prone to lacklustre performances when not all is hunky dory, as we know. And, like scotty says, 2009 means nothing when analysing how good Grosjean is.

This is all true. The problem is that Judging Grosjean on his whole career, not just the 2009 brief stint with a poor Renault car, it is the same story. Grosjean in every series he's entered (including both GP2 and Andros Trophee) has followed the same pattern where he can be immense for a race or two then fade in to the background and be non-existent for a race or two. The speed is there, but the consistency never has been.

Hopefully with a full pre-season behind him, Grosjean can find the consistency that he's not had before as I think it has the potential to be a very strong pairing! :)
Raikkonen hands down. Grosjean may get lucky sat the odd race but Raikkonen will wipe the floor with him.

Oh that's some BIG confidence! :hehe: You know you'll be reminded of this comment forever more if Raikkonen's comeback is as underwhelming as Schumacher's... :wink:
By andrew
Raikkonen hands down. Grosjean may get lucky sat the odd race but Raikkonen will wipe the floor with him.

Oh that's some BIG confidence! :hehe: You know you'll be reminded of this comment forever more if Raikkonen's comeback is as underwhelming as Schumacher's... :wink:

I expect nothing from Grosjean but like to be surprised.

I expect nothing from Grosjean but like to be surprised.

I want to see him spring a huge surprise. He hardly stood a chance at all in 2009, what with the testing ban and that... it will most likely have been a rabbit-in-headlights situation for the guy!
By scotty
However, he is prone to lacklustre performances when not all is hunky dory, as we know.

That's a bit of a myth to be honest, but regardless...
However, he is prone to lacklustre performances when not all is hunky dory, as we know.

:bs:

Massa of all people demoting him to the second best Ferrari driver in 2008 says it all.
Didn't Grosjean do a lot of spinning type moves when he last piloted an f1 car? Or am I confusing him with Piquet?

I doubt he will trouble Kimi at all tbh.
Didn't Grosjean do a lot of spinning type moves when he last piloted an f1 car? Or am I confusing him with Piquet?

I doubt he will trouble Kimi at all tbh.

The car in the gravel was usually being controlled by Piquet. Grosjean's only crash was when he was caught up in the pile up on the first lap at Spa.

I don't think it's a myth at all - what I do think though is that Kimi was often, similar to Vettel in the past 2 years, the type of racer who would have an off day yet somehow still finish 2nd or 3rd in spite of undeniably not driving a good race - he did that on several occassions. That's what champions do though which is why I'd find it hard to bet against Kimi.
By racechick
Tricky! Im not a big fan of Grosjean but i dont think Raikkonen will come back all guns blazing either.
Third option- Dont know, not that bothered, not expecting to be stunned either way.
By scotty

:bs:

Massa of all people demoting him to the second best Ferrari driver in 2008 says it all.

Upgrades didn't suit Raikkonen as proved by his decision to stop running the shark fin later on, and alluded to by several people. A poor trio of races in Europe/Hungary/Germany yes, but aside from that the difference is grossly overstated! Who should have won in France? Who was in the net lead when taken out at Canada? Who the ONLY guy who was quicker than Hamilton at Silverstone until an incorrect tyre call? Who was the superior at Spa, Fuji and China?

So BS yourself, if that's Raikkonen unmotivated and he can still pull out that standard (ie if you class that as 'lacklustre' as you apparently do), god help everyone else :hehe:
Upgrades didn't suit Raikkonen as proved by his decision to stop running the shark fin later on, and alluded to by several people. A poor trio of races in Europe/Hungary/Germany yes, but aside from that the difference is grossly overstated! Who should have won in France? Who was in the net lead when taken out at Canada? Who the ONLY guy who was quicker than Hamilton at Silverstone until an incorrect tyre call? Who was the superior at Spa, Fuji and China?

Who rammed into the back of Adrian Sutil in Monaco? Who lost it in a heated battle at Spa and put it in the wall? Who put it in the wall at Singapore? You missed those.

Licking ice creams and slouching round the paddock in shorts while everyone else is focussed (red flag, Sepang '09) is another indicator of fading interest when all is not as good as it could be.

See our F1 related articles too!