Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Who will perform the best during 2012?

Jenson Button
36%
Lewis Hamilton
47%
It's impossible to predict!
17%
But when Mclaren's engineers say its marginal (if they did say it), i'd expect there to be a reason.

"I was told the difference in wings was not so great, so it is definitely a surprise. I was told that in qualifying my wing would be quicker but for some reason it wasn't."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102137

Course it could just be that Jenson's a better qualifier than Lewis.

Imagine if something like that happened at the scuderia? Talk about forum fun.
By f1ea
@f1ea. Your post was laughable, so here's a few jokes of my own.

A few things Lewis could learn from Vettel.

1) How to fly off in a tizzy when you lose a race.
2) How to make catty comments when he doesn't get pole.
3) How to blame back marker drivers when things aren't going his way.

If Alonso would have been a better driver coming through the ranks, maybe he wouldn't have languished in mid field team before being picked up by a top team.

LOL
You could have said "yo mamma is fat" instead. Right about the same.

But when Mclaren's engineers say its marginal (if they did say it), i'd expect there to be a reason.

"I was told the difference in wings was not so great, so it is definitely a surprise. I was told that in qualifying my wing would be quicker but for some reason it wasn't."

But for some reason it wasnt.....
So, do you know the reason? Would his tweeter friends know? Maybe he thought @iceT knew.

Fact of the matter is, the only ones who know what basis they say 'the difference is marginal' is the engineers who say it. Nobody should even bother questioning who is the better qualifier, because the truth is IT DOES NOT MATTER. They are not trying to be the better qualifier, they are trying to get better results in a race. Not to please public opinion.

Very silly.
By myownalias

Hang On! I'm confused! If Lewis had a higher downforce setting, surely he would have been slower regardless of which wing he had bolted on?
By racechick
Yep. double whammy. Not taking any chances. (ok I jest with that one, but.....)

Hang On! I'm confused! If Lewis had a higher downforce setting, surely he would have been slower regardless of which wing he had bolted on?

Not really the case, if he picked up more time in the second sector than he lost in sectors 1 and 3. It's a common Red Bull trait.

I think this is just another case of hater's hatin' and fans fannig. But when you step back and look at the reality of a situation and strip out the extremes. The conversation goes something like.. Hey Lewis this higher downforce wing is about a second a lap slower than Jenson's set up. So Lewis says sure... let's go with that. Why do you think that he would have been so pissed off otherwise? Because his engineering staff made a mistake and he trusted in that mistake. It's what you do as a driver most of the time you go with your engineering since that's what they're paid to do. In the end it was simply an error from not having enough data collected. Nothing to fret long about and the best way to come back is with a W in Monza.

Oh and like I mentioned in another thread, can you imagine that happening to Vettel or Alonso?
By vaptin
Well Vettel was outqulafied by his team mate.

It might happen if Alonso was paired with a better driver.
Last edited by vaptin on 04 Sep 12, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

Use your imagination.

Good luck selling a line that there's considerably better drivers out there than Alonso. Have you been watching this year?
By scotty
Woah, let's just stop this latest 'blame McLaren for everything' episode - it wasn't all on the team, Hamilton didn't like the way the new wing felt which actually started the whole mess for him “This morning in practice three I had some instabilities with the new wing that we were trying".
By racechick
Yes. It was undoubtedly Lewis' decision to take the old wing, I dont think anyone doubts that. Its the information he based his decision on that is suspect.
Woah, let's just stop this latest 'blame McLaren for everything' episode - it wasn't all on the team, Hamilton didn't like the way the new wing felt which actually started the whole mess for him “This morning in practice three I had some instabilities with the new wing that we were trying".

So it's okay for the other driver to blame everything on the team for half a season when the car just has no grip? Get off it. I'm not a fan boy because I apply standards evenly. I'm not a hater because I apply standards evenly. That's what leads to most arguments here, people picking and choosing how they apply their often inconsistent POV.
By scotty
Yes. It was undoubtedly Lewis' decision to take the old wing, I dont think anyone doubts that. Its the information he based his decision on that is suspect.

Well, i see your point to an extent, but it's not like he had different information to Button. And he based his decision ultimately on not liking the new rear wing.

So it's okay for the other driver to blame everything on the team for half a season when the car just has no grip? Get off it. I'm not a fan boy because I apply standards evenly. I'm not a hater because I apply standards evenly. That's what leads to most arguments here.

None of that is anything to do with my post, but ok....
By vaptin

So it's okay for the other driver to blame everything on the team for half a season when the car just has no grip? Get off it. I'm not a fan boy because I apply standards evenly. I'm not a hater because I apply standards evenly. That's what leads to most arguments here.

Did anyone blame Mclaren for the no grip problems? Of course it's fair game that they try to work on it, but the problem was always Button's.

Use your imagination.

Good luck selling a line that there's considerably better drivers out there than Alonso. Have you been watching this year?

Vettel has struggled with setup issues this season.

I don't think Alonso is that fast a qualifier, although finding a team mate who makes better setup choices will be tricky.

But what are you comparing for? Is your point Ferrari and red bull always make the best decision for their lead driver, whereas Mclaren split it?

Well, i see your point to an extent, but it's not like he had different information to Button. And he based his decision ultimately on not liking the new rear wing.

None of that is anything to do with my post, but ok....

So why don't you allow me to apologize for my mistake by explaining why you actually did mean by it?

Yeah I understand he chose it, but to say let's not blame the team. You as an engineer if you come up with WRONG data to (of one second a lap )a degree that in the sport is an insurmountable chasm. Should appreciate the gravity in that.

Lewis is a duffus for actually sharing the telemetry, but that doesn't negate the f@ck up by his team.
By vaptin
But we don't know if it was, or why Button chose the wing which would reveal more information about how Lewis made the decision as Mclaren share data.
Did anyone blame Mclaren for the no grip problems? Of course it's fair game that they try to work on it, but the problem was always Button's.

Show me a YouTube clip or two of Button taking personal responsibility for the lack of grip. Saying the car has to be good since Lewis is able to be competetive in it, so it must be something I'm picking wrong with the setup.

See our F1 related articles too!