Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Who will perform the best during 2012?

Jenson Button
36%
Lewis Hamilton
47%
It's impossible to predict!
17%
Following a season which saw Jenson Button displace Lewis Hamilton as the bigger points scorer in the team, it'll be interesting to see how things develop in the coming season, between what is arguably the strongest driver pairing on the grid.

Despite claiming three Grands Prix victories apiece, Lewis Hamilton's season was marred by inconsistency, and he slipped to a surprising 5th in the overall drivers standings, 3 positions and 43 points behind his team-mate. Many claimed that it was a stronger season for Button than his title winning year in 2009.

I feel Jenson Button will go into the new season with plenty of confidence after last season. I also expect Lewis Hamilton to have benefited massively from the close-season rest and that he'll return with a clear head and renewed focus. Which makes the question of asking who'll come out of 2012 on top a difficult one.

There have been previous Lewis V Jenson threads on this forum, but they've ended up being locked due to incivility. However, many of the perpetrators at the time have since left, so I hope the mods won't mind me bringing this topic back to life for the new season.
At this point I'm more interested in knowing if this will this be a fight for first or a fight for second.
By scotty
I daren't predict it. A lot of it depends on how the tyres work this season and while i think they won't be exactly the same as in 2011, it's nearly impossible to say exactly what will actually happen with them. If Hamilton were capable of adapting more to the Pirellis he'd be my favourite, but this doesn't seem to be happening. Another factor is Button's form, which has arguably just gotten better and better over the last two seasons - ie, will the upward trend continue or not, cause there will be a point at which it cannot improve. Also depends how quick the McLaren is, while i think they'll still be top 3, if they are in a position whereby they sometimes have to fight with guys in the midfield... will Hamilton continue to make stupid mistakes or will his old 'true' form return. If it transpired that McLaren just about had the quickest car in races like Red Bull did in 2011, i think that'd be a huge advantage to Hamilton as his qualifying speed would get him out of a lot of battles as it did with Vettel. I doubt this will happen though, as i think the top 3 are going to be very close this season.

Roll on Australia...
It is certainly very difficult to say. Despite creating the poll, I've simply had to go with the last option! We all know Lewis possesses incredible natural pace, but Button is always able to elevate himself where he needs to be by the race's end...
By McLaren
For me Lewis will come out on top.I just think he can ring the neck out of the car and get that bit extra out.Surely he couldn't have as much hassle as last season.
Fingers crossed he will give up his season ticket with the stewards as well :hehe:
Fingers crossed he will give up his season ticket with the stewards as well :hehe:

:pray:
By elfinitty
A feeling tells me Lewis will do better,if you count feelings as predictions.My thoughts are in the way of Lewis getting distracted,again.I'd better pick the 3rd option
By myownalias
The question shouldn't be Jenson or Lewis; it should be how long before this thread gets locked... ;)

But at this point, it could go either way, Jenson has entrenched himself in at McLaren and brings home consistent results, Lewis is definitely a faster driver but is more prone to mistakes, so who will come out on top is anyone's guess at this point, I predict it will be close, that's about all I am willing to predict at this point!
The question shouldn't be Jenson or Lewis; it should be how long before this thread gets locked... ;)

:hehe:

I think that the departure of key protagonists such as Jensonb and FRAFPDD has paved the way for a much more peaceful Lewis V Jenson debate. :wink:
By andrew

I think that the departure of key protagonists such as Jensonb and FRAFPDD has paved the way for a much more peaceful Lewis V Jenson debate. :wink:

Really?!

Really?!

Two of the most volatile temperaments this forum has ever seen are no longer here to get the padlock brought out!
By andrew

Really?!

Two of the most volatile temperaments this forum has ever seen are no longer here to get the padlock brought out!

I think it is just that the brass have not been to B&Q recently to buy new padlocks.

Really?!

I think it is just that the brass have not been to B&Q recently to buy new padlocks.

:rofl:

Well hopefully this thread won't need any padlocks. I have huge faith in our current community! :thumbup:
By andrew

Really?!

:rofl:

Well hopefully this thread won't need any padlocks. I have huge faith in our current community! :thumbup:

I have faith in many thing but not this.

Back to the topic, it's far too early to say or guess who'll come out on top. I don't particularly like either driver but I'd rather Button finished the season ahead.

See our F1 related articles too!